Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #1

Yet another Goodyear tire failure

Cruising along I-81N today in the right lane, at the speed limit (70) when I had a blowout on the right steer tire.

Yes, I've read posts here ..."get rid of the Good Years! They are an accident waiting to happen."

I wish I had listened to that sage advice.

I was able to keep it under control and coast to the very narrow shoulder but when the tire let loose, it took some of the bodywork with it - the fiberglass fender panel is shot. When the nose dropped down, the steps grabbed the ground and bent them back so much that they won't close, the door frame was bent outward when the fender was blown out. There was so much vibration during the blowout and coming to a stop that 3 of the headlights were dislodged (one of them disappeared), two of the marker light covers also disappeared, and both of the front "C" accent lights popped partially out. The "wall" between the batteries and the wheel well was obliterated. I've not crawled under the coach to see if there was any additional damage.
We're full-timers so I dread having to figure out how to get the body work taken care of.

The good news:
The toad (2021 Mini) seems to have escaped unharmed although the bicycles mounted to the rear of it were shaken loose.
We're alive - we survived a terrifying incident on a major interstate highway.
Complete Tire in Wytheville, VA was stellar in getting on the scene and mounting a temporary tire to get us off the highway and to a nearby campground. They've ordered two new Michelin RV tires that will (hopefully) be in today so that we can continue on our way.

So, if you're reading this, and happen to still have those Good Year tires mounted, please, please, consider replacing them!
NomadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #2

Sorry for your trouble. Lucky. I would get some detail pics together and call S&S Automotive in Wakarusa, IN for all the body work. They will do a good job on Entegras. You may have to hotel it for a week or so.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Glad you are OK and get ne tires and continue. What size Goodyear did your year have on the front?
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #4

Mike, first of all, I'm really glad everyone is okay. Stuff can be repaired; people not so much in some cases.

I don't fault you for blaming the Goodyear tires, but it's also possible you inadvertently ran over something that caused the tire failure. I can speak from experience on that because it happened to us and the right front tire that blew out was a Michelin. You can read all about it here:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/int...ml#post4713949
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The same thing happened to me in 2007 on a right front 4-year old Goodyear tire. The damage to the coach exceeded $10,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlownTireCrop.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	335238  
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #6

Are these Goodyear RV tires?
Old 07-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #7

They had to be 295s or 315s.... I assume 295s..

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:54 PM   #8

What was the age of your tires and also mileage on tires?
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #9

His coach was a 2016 Aspire and my experience is that the tires are usually very fresh when they are installed. His coach could have been built in 2015 and sold in 2015 and still be called a 2016.

Obviously, I have no idea of mileage.

However, if you are new to this forum, it has been well known for at least 5 years on this forum if you are running Goodyear 295 on your steers, all good judgement argues that you need to get them off the steer axle and replace with something else..... they are well known for failures, often with disastrous results. .

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #10

If you Know?

First...certainly glad everyone is OK. God is good. These things do happen and thankful we are able to overcome.

Second....i asked this on another post. If anyone knows it would be usefull. Is problem only related to the 295 and larger? It seems it's mostly on larger, heavier diesel pusher. I'm running the small 245's on a w22 gasser. Should I be concerned? Thanks for your responses in advance.
jeff0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
Sorry for your trouble. Lucky. I would get some detail pics together and call S&S Automotive in Wakarusa, IN for all the body work. They will do a good job on Entegras. You may have to hotel it for a week or so.
You're a good bit closer to them than I am
I don't have any plans to be up in that area but thanks for the recommendation!
Old 07-09-2021, 04:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
Glad you are OK and get ne tires and continue. What size Goodyear did your year have on the front?
Goodyear G670 RV, 295/80R22.5
Old 07-09-2021, 04:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Mike, first of all, I'm really glad everyone is okay. Stuff can be repaired; people not so much in some cases.

I don't fault you for blaming the Goodyear tires, but it's also possible you inadvertently ran over something that caused the tire failure. I can speak from experience on that because it happened to us and the right front tire that blew out was a Michelin. You can read all about it here:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/int...ml#post4713949
I understand, and perhaps I shouldn't just jump on the "Slam Goodyear bandwagon" but, there was no traffic in front of me and I sure didn't see anything in the road. I'd like to think that something small enough to not be seen wouldn't be large enough to cause a catastrophic failure.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
What was the age of your tires and also mileage on tires?
It's a 2016 coach and they're the original tires, they have < 22,000 miles on them.

Tags
tire