Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Zones missing from thermostat

Worked on several projects today and apparently added a new one to the list.
I went in to adjust the thermostat and did not have a zone 2 option. I turned the thermostat off, waited 30 seconds and turned it back on, no change.

I decided to flip the AC units off at the breaker, and turned them back on one at a time every 30 seconds. Then went back to the thermostat and zone 2 was back but zone 3 is not there now.

On shore power, 50amp

Took the bus to storage, connected to shore power and there was still no zone 3 but zone 1 & 2 are there.

Any ideas what would cause this?

How to fix it?
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 10:11 PM   #2

You can try unplugging the thermostat for a couple of minutes, if you remove it from the wall plate you will see a wire plug on the back. Unplugging it will re-boot the mother board as well as the thermostat.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:17 PM   #3

Yep, try rebooting thermostat. Sounds like a likely suspect.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Try turning off the master 12V power switch by the front door. Leave off for one minute, then back on. This solved my thermostat problem.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:09 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto what Marc said. There is also a "reboot" process I had to do once. CS can walk you through it. As I recall it involved removing the thermostat fuse.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #6

I experienced the same issue and the aforementioned comments were all recommended and performed to no avail.. I spoke with Airexcel and was told the thermostat was defective. I ordered a new one from Amazon, plugged it in( wait 6 minutes before turning it to a zone)... initially it didn't work!!! I was not a happy camper... it wasn't until I left the campground and plugged in @ another campground it worked!!! Hopefully this helps[emoji1303]
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I have found, like others have said, a thermostat reset can be accomplished by either the door reset or by pulling the fuse, #20 on my 16 Aspire.

In the lower portion of the thermostat screen in the Active Zones display does it say 1,2,3 or is it that you can't select a zone 3 with the zone button ? Also check your current programming settings for each zone. If you haven't done so this is accomplished by putting system to off then pressing &holding both up,down buttons for about 10 seconds. You should be able to look at each zones settings, they should all be the same.

Another good source for support on your AC's and thermostat problems can be found with Airexcell,Inc, the maker and supporter of our AC's. Ph # 316-832-4357. It will say qualified techs, or service centers but they will be happy to help you.
====

PS, I just saw Danny's post and agree. Also, Airexcell has told me these Thermostats are very sensitive to correct voltage and also RF interference. With all the new coach designs and use of wireless items their engineers are continually updating the thermostat designs for it. Good luck.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #8

update

This thermostat has to be defective....

I performed both versions of the reset with no change in behavior.
Pulled the glass fuse for 5 mins - no change
Shut down 12v to the coach for 5 mins - no change

In fact I think it is worse, now zone 2 has more options than 1 & 3 when you use the mode button to cycle through, that is when zone 2 is available. Zone 2 & 3 are not accessible most of the time.

The middle and rear AC units are still working but they run for about 5 mins then cut off for a minute and come back on for 5 mins. I am trying to catch the thermostat when the zones are available and turn them off and just run on zone 1 since I am concerned with what appears to be short cycling.

Headed to a local RV store when they open, to see if they have a replacement in stock.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaspiveys View Post
Worked on several projects today and apparently added a new one to the list.
I went in to adjust the thermostat and did not have a zone 2 option. I turned the thermostat off, waited 30 seconds and turned it back on, no change.

I decided to flip the AC units off at the breaker, and turned them back on one at a time every 30 seconds. Then went back to the thermostat and zone 2 was back but zone 3 is not there now.

On shore power, 50amp

Took the bus to storage, connected to shore power and there was still no zone 3 but zone 1 & 2 are there.

Any ideas what would cause this?

How to fix it?

When I had my 13 Aspire that happened. I had to turn the thermostat off, not the zones but the thermostat. Then remove the thermostat from the wall and unplug it from the back for ten minutes. Put the plug back in and turn it on and it reset.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Just to throw out another possible cause, note that the thermostat communicates with the roof unit control boards via a two wire network. These wires are jumpered from one roof unit to the next, there are not separate wires going to each roof unit from the thermostat.

Your symptoms have some of the earmarks of a network failure of some sort.

The "zone" for each roof unit is determined at the roof unit control board by a jumper. Not sure what would happen if the jumper was set the same on more than one roof unit. But pretty sure if there is no connection to a control board the thermostat is not going to "see" that zone so it could be a loose connection somewhere.

Bad crimp in one of the Amp connector pins or an unseated pin are common issues. Check connectors behind thermostat first. The purple and black are the network wires.

Access to the roof unit control board is done from the roof, remove the outer shroud, then remove the inner gray colored return air cover. The control box is at the front of the unit. Shut off all 120v and 12v power. Look for loose wires (purple and black are the network wires). If easy to get at also check that the jumpers are in the correct position and firmly seated.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
When I had my 13 Aspire that happened. I had to turn the thermostat off, not the zones but the thermostat. Then remove the thermostat from the wall and unplug it from the back for ten minutes. Put the plug back in and turn it on and it reset.
Tried this proposal this morning, left it out for 15 mins, just to be sure. Re-installed and no change.

Called the local RVs shop and they had never heard of a ZC by Mach-Coleman. They got my coach information and put me on hold. Came back and said they had one but wanted to make sure I needed this one because it was an "old style" thermostat they had it in inventory a while and doubted my 2014 coach actually had this model. (they are a Winnebago dealer) . Validated the part number with them and asked the price, when I came to from hitting my head on the floor I told them I was going to do a little more troubleshooting and would let them know.

Amazon has it for $150, they wanted $358.00 for a thermostat that they admitted had been in inventory a while and let me know it was not returnable once I opened it.

The saga continues.....
Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #12

Michael, you're experiencing EXACTLY the same symptoms my 2013 Aspire had.. as previously mentioned, I bit the bullett, and purchased the thermostat from Amazon.. Coleman Thermostat model# 8330D3311. Its black, although Airexcel said the white one is the same.. when the new unit was installed, it initially didn't work!!! The following day, we were in a new rv park, bingo, it worked!!! Have used the a/c's for weeks now, no problems.. I paid about the same price, what are you going to do... I would be surprised if it were not the thermostat. BTW, there aren't many of these model numbers available.. I suggest you grab it, if you want a/c's[emoji35][emoji35]
Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgilmore View Post
Michael, you're experiencing EXACTLY the same symptoms my 2013 Aspire had.. as previously mentioned, I bit the bullett, and purchased the thermostat from Amazon.. Coleman Thermostat model# 8330D3311. Its black, although Airexcel said the white one is the same.. when the new unit was installed, it initially didn't work!!! The following day, we were in a new rv park, bingo, it worked!!! Have used the a/c's for weeks now, no problems.. I paid about the same price, what are you going to do... I would be surprised if it were not the thermostat. BTW, there aren't many of these model numbers available.. I suggest you grab it, if you want a/c's[emoji35][emoji35]
Yep, ordered it today. Just hate to see places like the one I talked to today trying to jack up prices that high.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #14

Agreed...total rip!!! The Amazon price was much better than the dealership quote you received.. let us know if the thermostat corrects the problem

Tags
thermostat