Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #1

2018 Sprinter 3500 Jayco 24L battery went dead.

Went it start my 2019 Jayco today and the chassis battery was completely dead. Can't find any reason and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabb E View Post
Went to start my 2019 Jayco today and the chassis battery was completely dead. Can't find any reason and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Only been sitting for about two weeks.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #3

It seems to be the nature of the Sprinter beast.
Either disconnect the chassis battery when in storage, or figure out a way to add a trickle charger to it. You can use the coach batteries as a power source in several ways, to keep the chassis battery up while it's sitting idle. Be creative.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:10 AM   #4

I installed a Trik-l-start, which attaches to your Isolator Solenoid. This thread may be helpful, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ght=Trik+start. My Solenoid is under the passenger seat. The passenger seat base has a plastic access panel so you can see if it is located there. The Trik-l-start works great and now I don't have battery issues. It works best if you have solar to maintain your house batteries.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:34 AM   #5

The trick l start only work if your plugged into shore power.

If you don't plug in, disconnecting the battery is the fix. I understand that there is a switch under the dash to disconnect the chassis battery.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Here's your options:

1. Disconnect the chassis battery ground when parking it (disconnect is by the accelerator pedal but wait 10 minutes after you shut off the engine before your disconnect).

2. Add a Trik-L-Start to charge your chassis battery when the house batteries are being charged.
- works if you plug the motorhome in between trips to charge the house batteries
- or if you have solar and park in the sun

Too bad your dealer didn't tell you about this when you picked the coach up. Mercedes has so many parasitic draws that sitting for several weeks is something they didn't account for.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #7

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Hi Crabb E. As a fellow Jayco 24L owner I can attest to the chassis battery dying in a week or two. We picked up a trickle charger that runs off shore power and plugs into the lighter outet near the ash tray. This outlet stays hot and will take a power charge to keep your battery ready.
There is also a button under the dash, just right of the steering wheel, that connect the house batteries to the engine to allow you to start if the chassis battery goes dead.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
Hi Crabb E. As a fellow Jayco 24L owner I can attest to the chassis battery dying in a week or two. We picked up a trickle charger that runs off shore power and plugs into the lighter outet near the ash tray. This outlet stays hot and will take a power charge to keep your battery ready.
There is also a button under the dash, just right of the steering wheel, that connect the house batteries to the engine to allow you to start if the chassis battery goes dead.
I don't have shore power where I store my mh. I'm going to install a Trik-L-Start charger to deal with this. It installs on the battery assist solenoid that's under the passenger seat. Uses power from the house batteries to keep the chassis battery charged. Also installing a second house battery for more capacity. Already have a 100 watt suitcase solar panel to keep house battery charged when not on shore power. Even with shore power, with out the charger, the chassis battery will go dead unless you start the engine now and then.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 AM   #9

You got it correct, based on my experience 100w solar is plenty to maintain both house and chassis batteries (with a Trik-l-start). When I look at my Victron Smart Solar Controller data it only takes 40w to maintain my house and chassis batteries while at my storage area. I have a 200w Renogy/Victron system.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #10

Added second battery and Trik-L-Start today. Should take care of the problem. It would have been nice if Jayco would not have put a solenoid right in the way fo the space for the second battery. Never ceases to amaze me how dumb some builders are. Why have a space for another battery if you can't use it without having to move stuff.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #11

It's all about the cost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabb E View Post
Added second battery … Why have a space for another battery if you can't use it without having to move stuff.
Because they would have needed to add another $500 or so to the cost of the RV and no other RV manufacturer does that to my knowledge. My initial 2011 AGM battery died in 2018 after not being religious to unplug it when it is not being used. Engineering is all about cost tradeoffs, there is no answer that will cover all options: Good, Fast, or Cheap, you only can do two of the three, Cheap is often the overriding factor.

I unplug mine if it is to sit for more than a week. The base Sprinter is expected to sit for no more than a weekend before it is used again for delivery/ service work/ etc. You shut off the salesman switch, you pull the negative lead above the accelerator pedal.
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HISSSSS View Post
Because they would have needed to add another $500 or so to the cost of the RV and no other RV manufacturer does that to my knowledge. My initial 2011 AGM battery died in 2018 after not being religious to unplug it when it is not being used. Engineering is all about cost tradeoffs, there is no answer that will cover all options: Good, Fast, or Cheap, you only can do two of the three, Cheap is often the overriding factor.

I unplug mine if it is to sit for more than a week. The base Sprinter is expected to sit for no more than a weekend before it is used again for delivery/ service work/ etc. You shut off the salesman switch, you pull the negative lead above the accelerator pedal.
Would have taken whoever installed the solenoid no extra time to install it 2" to the left instead of right in the way of the second battery. And as for engineering, if they had to use the products they were designing I believe some of the problems the customer has to deal with would disappear. Just my $.02.

Tags
battery, jayco