Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2019 Sprinter Chassis Seat Recline Fix

On July 14th, 2019, Mercedes released a service bulletin which will allow dealers to fix the seat recline limitation. This is a programming change that the dealer can perform at your request.

This change is applicable to the 2019 Sprinter 3500 chassis on which many newer motorhomes are built. The issue is this. The seat could only be reclined a limited amount until the seat would begin moving FORWARD on the track. This was to prevent the reclining seat from hitting the bulkhead installed in most 3500 cargo / utility configurations. The wall is close behind the seats. In the motorhome configuration, there is no wall and thus no reason for this protection feature. Users often remarked that they couldn't recline the seat to their satisfaction without giving up valuable leg room. Now, there is a fix!

The programming change eliminates the forward transition of the seat based on the amount of recline. You can recline the seat as much as you like without it transitioning forward.

The Mercedes service bulletin (Mercedes calls them LIs) number is LI91.10-N-070029.

This is great news and a change that almost every 2019 Sprinter / Motorhome owner should have programmed by the dealer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Seat Recline Fix.pdf (135.9 KB, 93 views)
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #2

Thanks for the information. I could not figure out why any electric seat would function this way. Now I know thanks to you. Will have that taken care of when my air bags come in.

Steve
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:29 PM   #3

Randy.. you are my new favorite person (I don’t change often) ��. Thank you.. thank you for the BM bulletin pdf.. armed with that, and determination, I set up a service appointment with the MB dealer in Las Vegas.. the tech located the bulletin in the MB files and two hours later both seats have functions I did not know existed! ��. I thank you.. and so does my back.
Bunnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnz View Post
Randy.. you are my new favorite person (I don’t change often) ��. Thank you.. thank you for the BM bulletin pdf.. armed with that, and determination, I set up a service appointment with the MB dealer in Las Vegas.. the tech located the bulletin in the MB files and two hours later both seats have functions I did not know existed! ��. I thank you.. and so does my back.
Thanks Bunzz. I got mine taken care of today! Love it!

Here's another cool tip. Looking for mats that actually fit? These are the Mercedes OEM mats. Only $110 bucks at the dealer. They fit perfectly and snap into the non-slip buttons on the driver's floorboard. The mats that Tiffin provided were for the 2018 and earlier chassis and didn't fit at all. The Part Number is - 907-680-48-01-9G33.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #5

907 Sprinter Retrofit

Randy,

Thanks for the great tip! I picked up my new 2020 Coach House RV built on a 2019 Sprinter Cab Chassis in May. I too wondered why the seat and seat back motions were limited. I’m 6’ 4” tall and just figured that was the way it was. I have a service appointment next week to fix the headlight hi beam recall and asked the dealer to add the 907 Retrofit to my service list. They just called me back and said that because this was not a recall I would have to pay labor to have it done. My local MB dealership has not done the job before so they could not give me an estimate. Did your dealer charge, if so how much labor is reasonable?
Thanks!
chkwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkwgn View Post
Randy,

Thanks for the great tip! I picked up my new 2020 Coach House RV built on a 2019 Sprinter Cab Chassis in May. I too wondered why the seat and seat back motions were limited. I’m 6’ 4” tall and just figured that was the way it was. I have a service appointment next week to fix the headlight hi beam recall and asked the dealer to add the 907 Retrofit to my service list. They just called me back and said that because this was not a recall I would have to pay labor to have it done. My local MB dealership has not done the job before so they could not give me an estimate. Did your dealer charge, if so how much labor is reasonable?
Thanks!
Hi Chuck Wagon,
The Mercedes dealer did not make me pay for the retrofit. I'd estimate it took no more than an hour or an hour and a half. If you dealer has any questions, have them give Dan Phillips a call in advance of your appointment so they know the process. The instructions look pretty straightforward to me so they should be able to get it done reasonably quickly. It is well worth it though.
Best regards,
Randy
Old 08-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #7

907 Retrofit

Randy,

Thanks for the reply. Who is Dan Phillips and would you mind sharing his title and phone number?

Seems to me that MB created this unneeded problem and should correct it for free. I know that Coach House in Nokomis, FL works with MB of Sarasota and because of their ongoing relationship would probably get the correction done for free. Unfortunately I live across the country and I have had no previous contacts with my local MB dealership in Pleasanton, CA.

On another thought, did you purchase any MB extended warranty package? When I picked up my coach in May the GPS function did not show up on my screen. The coach had to go back to the MB of Sarasota and get its Computer hooked up overnight to MB in Germany for a software download in order to get my GPS function to show up on my dash computer screen. Software also had to be updated to get 12 volt power back to my 7 pin connector. With all the electronics these chassis have, I shudder to think what future electronics issues would cost to get fixed. I looked at the 3 year MB warranty that came with the coach and did not see any coverage for electrical issues. I did review the MB “Complete” warranty coverage and did see that electrical was covered. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 08-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Randy,

Thanks for the reply. Who is Dan Phillips and would you mind sharing his title and phone number?

Seems to me that MB created this unneeded problem and should correct it for free. I know that Coach House in Nokomis, FL works with MB of Sarasota and because of their ongoing relationship would probably get the correction done for free. Unfortunately I live across the country and I have had no previous contacts with my local MB dealership in Pleasanton, CA.

On another thought, did you purchase any MB extended warranty package? When I picked up my coach in May the GPS function did not show up on my screen. The coach had to go back to the MB of Sarasota and get its Computer hooked up overnight to MB in Germany for a software download in order to get my GPS function to show up on my dash computer screen. Software also had to be updated to get 12 volt power back to my 7 pin connector. With all the electronics these chassis have, I shudder to think what future electronics issues would cost to get fixed. I looked at the 3 year MB warranty that came with the coach and did not see any coverage for electrical issues. I did review the MB “Complete” warranty coverage and did see that electrical was covered. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sorry, I see that I only posted Dan's Name in the Tiffin Group. Dan is the Mercedes rep for Tiffin but I'm sure he'd still be happy to take your call. His contact information is:

Dan Phillips
dphillips@mbbhm.com
(205) 965-2178

I did not purchase any sort of extended coverage. I do think that just about any issue with the Sprinter chassis should be covered for the 3 year chassis warranty. And I agree with you that Mercedes should cover the cost of the Seat Recline retrofit.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #9

907 Retrofit - YES

Randy, Thanks for all your help! I had the 907 Retrofit performed today and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My local dealership did not charge for the Retrofit after all. I also ordered the MB floor mats. I did email Dan Phillips with my dilemma and he was gracious enough to reply back and offer to help if I was charged or with other questions. Nice guy!

On another issue, does your rear view camera display on the big dash screen ONLY function when in reverse? I’ve been spoiled over the years using my rear view camera to check on my toed vehicle, bicycle rack, or what’s going on right behind me. Seems like there should be a way to view through the rear view camera other than when in reverse. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2019, 04:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Randy, Thanks for all your help! I had the 907 Retrofit performed today and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My local dealership did not charge for the Retrofit after all. I also ordered the MB floor mats. I did email Dan Phillips with my dilemma and he was gracious enough to reply back and offer to help if I was charged or with other questions. Nice guy!

On another issue, does your rear view camera display on the big dash screen ONLY function when in reverse? I’ve been spoiled over the years using my rear view camera to check on my toed vehicle, bicycle rack, or what’s going on right behind me. Seems like there should be a way to view through the rear view camera other than when in reverse. Thanks!
Good to hear! On the camera question - mine operates just like yours. I asked about this as well and was told this is an integration issue related to the 360 camera system that Mercedes provides but that Tiffin does not use. So, at least for now, it's reverse only. Like you, I enjoyed having a dedicated rearview camera in my previous coach. There are some out there that make a wireless connection and replace a marker light. You still would need a separate display though. I'm not sure it is that important to me.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #11

art hemm

I have recently purchased a Pleasure Way/Mercedes Diesel RV. Have traveled about 5K miles. Have noticed a "catch" or "bump" in the transmission when going between 25 and 40mph, usually when driving slow and coasting as in driving thru a town or in stop and go traffic. It never has happened at high speeds or when accelerating at any speed. Sometimes it's just a slight catch, other times it's a significant "bump"....MBZ dealer/chief mechanic put it on the computer and said all is working as it should, that with the electrical transmission controlling the shifting, this is not unusual.
Anybody else out there with the 3L Diesel sprinter that does this??
arthemm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis