Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #1

2019 Sprinter erratic throttle -delay

I have a 2019 Sprinter on a 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this same behavior with their throttle. When we start off and gently press the throttle pedal, instead of the engine picking up rpm gradually, we have to continue to push the throttle and then we get a surge of power, not a uniform increase in power. Another way to describe this, is the throttle function seems to be delayed. This is how it works when we're on flat ground and starting off.

When we have to accelerate as in entering an interstate, it also is hard to control as we have to accelerate quicker, but don't want to have rpm jump up too much but that is what it seems to do sometimes, as again, the throttle seesm a bit erratic. For vehicles with mechanical linkage, like to a carburetor, this would feel like the linkage is sticking, but I don't think that is how it works with this setup and the injectors.

I'm interested in hearing from others to see if they also have this behavior, or if it doesn't sound normal.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like you are describing the normal behavior of the turbo diesel. Our 2015 Winnebago View did the same thing; it didn’t bother me after the initial learning curve.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
The power output when starting acceleration from a dead stop is like what you described. Put your foot down until you start to sense the engine power up then pull back a bit. Once the engine turbo powers up the higher RPM keeps the power curve and you can control it smoothly up from there.

In a way, it is like having a centrifugal clutch that requires a higher RPM to engage and then stays engaged until you throttle back.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME for Maine View Post
It sounds like you are describing the normal behavior of the turbo diesel. Our 2015 Winnebago View did the same thing; it didn’t bother me after the initial learning curve.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
The power output when starting acceleration from a dead stop is like what you described. Put your foot down until you start to sense the engine power up then pull back a bit. Once the engine turbo powers up the higher RPM keeps the power curve and you can control it smoothly up from there.

In a way, it is like having a centrifugal clutch that requires a higher RPM to engage and then stays engaged until you throttle back.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I wondered if it was the turbo spooling up or not. I do not have this characteristic on a different brand diesel vehicle with turbo that I own.

At least I know from your responses that it is normal for the Sprinter diesel to respond this way, and not have to chase finding out if its a problem.

Thank you.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

One more vote for normal.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #8

Not only my 2019 Sprinter (also a 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer) but my MB autos do the same thing. Again...just takes getting used to.
dosxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #9

THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!!! I had this recently happen on my 2014 with 43,000 miles. I ignored it but eventually got a yellow engine light on the dash. Turned out the turbo inlet/intake seal had failed. I drove 100 miles back home to go to my local service center. I found out if the seal had failed differently, driving it could have caused Turbocharger damage, which would have cost about $6k to replace. Mercedes issued a bulletin to their service centers. Seems the technicians were causing the Turbo inlet seal to fail because they were moving the air filter hose around to get to the fuel filter for replacement. Any movement (Mercedes uses the word "DISTURBANCE") of the hose/tube that goes from the air filter cover to the turbo inlet can cause a seal failure. It can also easily occur if one is changing the air filter and forces that hose to move or get "Disturbed". It's amazing how fragile these Sprinter chassis are! It cost $235 to have it fixed, I feel very fortunate because it could have cost much more. I would take it immediately to Mercedes and have them check the turbo seal before it gets much worse.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20xx Mercedes 906 Turbo Intake Seal Bulletin.pdf (145.5 KB, 90 views)
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #10

Mine has done this "hesitation" since day one, before I had any service whatsoever done on my chassis, so unless the parts you mention were "disturbed" during the build process from the factory, I would have to question the universiality of the explanation you were given for your particular issue.

Perhaps the problem was more prevalent during different model years? During different build periods? I believe MB has "shuffled a few things around" under the hood over the time period that the NCV3 chassis was being produced. Maybe they changed turbo inlet seal manufacturers over time? They do seem to tweak things as needed.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #11

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
As I recall the inlet hose from the air cleaner enters the center of the turbo and exits, to the engine inlet, via a metal hose. If the rubber connection to the turbo is disturbed and leaks, the turbo would suck in unfiltered air which would not affect the turbo's function in supercharging the engine.

I would pop the hood to verify but it's raining outside and I'm settled in for the night. Somebody want to take a look and let us know?
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
As I recall the inlet hose from the air cleaner enters the center of the turbo and exits, to the engine inlet, via a metal hose. If the rubber connection to the turbo is disturbed and leaks, the turbo would suck in unfiltered air which would not affect the turbo's function in supercharging the engine.

I would pop the hood to verify but it's raining outside and I'm settled in for the night. Somebody want to take a look and let us know?
When you experience a failed Turbo inlet seal you'll realize none of what you theorize is reality! Travelino you should follow your feelings/instincts about something not being right and take it into the MB Service Center and have it checked.
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I don't know if this is what you are looking for or not?

https://www.sprinterstore.com/?s=Throttle

Here is another one called Genuine VAN Part by Mercedez Benz Van Parts:
https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/mercedes-van-parts
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote