Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #15

Your lucky, I can’t get my drivers side bag replaced until the middle of May. The recall didn’t mention the passenger side.
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #16

Just had mine replaced today. Mercedes Benz, of Eugene, Or. came to Bend, Or for the day at a dealer and spent all day doing air bag recalls. I was lucky to get mine in and avoid a 3+ hour drive each way over the Cascades and back. Took the tech about a 1/2 hour to two the job.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Just had mine replaced today. Mercedes Benz, of Eugene, Or. came to Bend, Or for the day at a dealer and spent all day doing air bag recalls. I was lucky to get mine in and avoid a 3+ hour drive each way over the Cascades and back. Took the tech about a 1/2 hour to two the job.
Wow that's something... for MB of Eugene to go to Bend for the day, nice of them to do that. I have an appointment here in Eugne to get mine done jn a couple of weeks.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #18

The irony of this is amazing! Like my prior post, I had the driver side airbag recall done last Thursday. Today, Monday, I get another recall from Mercedes saying the passenger side airbag now needs replacing. You'd think that Mercedes wold have this set up so that you could get both airbags replaced at the same time rather than jerking you back and forth. Well, I'm picking up a new Tiffin Class A next week and the Sprinter is getting traded in for it. Someone else can deal with this, rather than me. Come on Mercedes, you guys can do better than this for your customer base, I'd think.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #19

Just got my passenger side recall today so hopefully I can get both of them done at the same time since my appointment is not till May 14.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #20

I also received a recall notice about the passenger side airbag today. The letter said parts are not available now and I would be contacted again when parts are available. I have an appointment at my local MB dealer on the 29th for the driver side airbag. I called and spoke with the service scheduler and she said they have no idea when passengeer side parts will be available and said since I have an appointment I should go ahead and have the driver side replaced. She was very apologetic about it. I realize the local MB dealers are at the mercy of MB corporate and the supplier of replacements parts. Like others though, I am frustrated with the idea of taking it to my dealer twice to get all this resolved.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #21

I talked to my MB service advisor today. He said they have not even made the parts for the passenger side airbags and told me to check back in 2 months. They have the parts for the driver side, but I plan to opt to go in when both can be done in one trip.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #22

Smile

Even though I have an appointment in about a week to get the driver side airbag recall done, I'm considering waiting until I can get both done in one trip to the dealer. It's like playing the odds... I've been driving with defective airbags for a couple of years. As long as they don't inflate there's no danger of being mauled or killed by the shrapnel in the defective airbags, right?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #23

I had my driver side airbag replaced today at my local Mercedes dealer. When I asked the service advisor about the passenger side airbag, he said it would likely be months, not weeks before parts are available.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #24

Just had my driver’s side airbag replaced too. Since I got the recall on the passenger side and was advised that it would be weeks if not months before they would be available. I then asked the possibility of deactivating the passenger side and he advised it wouldn’t be legal. I asked then is it legal to kill someone with a defective part. Kind of set him back, he said that they have had no reports of the airbags in Mercedes injuring anyone. They were doing it as a precaution. Hope he’s right.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermbike View Post
Just had my driver’s side airbag replaced too. Since I got the recall on the passenger side and was advised that it would be weeks if not months before they would be available. I then asked the possibility of deactivating the passenger side and he advised it wouldn’t be legal. I asked then is it legal to kill someone with a defective part. Kind of set him back, he said that they have had no reports of the airbags in Mercedes injuring anyone. They were doing it as a precaution. Hope he’s right.

Just got home from trip to Knoxville Mercedes dealer, a real fancy place. Excellent service, courteous, and nice. But it was slow moving, lots of folks involved in registration, routing, and setting things up.
The driver's airbag consists of the whole center piece of the steering wheel, horn, buttons, logo. Took tech 10 minutes, maybe 15. He removed two screws from underside of the steering wheel, lifted out the center of the wheel, unplugged 2 quick disconnects, replaced the new unit in reverse order. After I left, I checked all of the buttons and everything seemed to work. (Of course who knows about the airbag) qqqqThat's it. The replacement unit came in a box from Germany via some distributer in Texas. He was careful to wrap up my old unit and my guess is it will go back for a rebuild.
I am disabled so got to sit in passenger seat while this was going on.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #26

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
The Takata airbag inflators are powered by a solid fuel propellant. They are not repairable and after removal will be sent to a disposal center to be detonated and then sent to a metal recycling center as scrap.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:55 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
SteveNSue
Sorry, I was referring to rebuilding the steering wheel assembly, not the airbag itself. I did not get to examine the unit so have no idea what the airbag itself looks like but it could have been only a part of what they took out, and that was definitely a Mercedes product.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:14 AM   #28

I received the driver air bag recall letter a month or so ago and within a week received the second airbag recall for the passenger airbag. Since the passenger air bag was not yet available, I figured I'd wait and get them both done at the same time. I have a 17 View 24G on a 16 chassis.

The other day I received a "nevermind" , the passenger airbag does not need to be replaced letter from MB. Supposedly, there was a data error when they were issuing the passenger airbag recall notices.

So, my question is, has anyone else received the passenger "nevermind" letter and what are your thoughts about it?
CGKMGK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, recall