Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #1

Airbag sensor errors after battery replacement

I had the battery in my 2016 Prism replaced. Now I have an error light on the dash indicating a restraint system error. The codes are pointing to the airbag crash sensors (both sides).

Also a P193600 - Generator switch off Open/Short to ground.

Any ideas to get rid of the errors?
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #2

Drive it? Some errors self correct after a bit of driving. After the vehicle ignition was shut down prior to the replacement, did the vehicle "rest" for a period, before the old battery was diconnected? I think there's a mention in the OM about not disconecting the battery too soon after shutting the engine off. Let's the ECU/ECM do an orderly shutdown of monitor and other functions.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #3

The motor home sat for about 15 minutes after I parked it before they began work. I Drove it home about 3 miles and have started it a couple times since with no clearing.

The odometer retained its reading but the clock will need to be reset. I haven't yet checked out functions like maintenance miles to go or DEF level.

I'll take it back to the shop in the morning and see if their code reader will do a reset as mine will not.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #4

Hmmm, 15 minutes sounds about right. Any chance you could take it for a longer drive, maybe with some freeway time, stop and go, before you get back to the shop that did the replacement? Was it a MB Sprinter shop, btw?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Hmmm, 15 minutes sounds about right. Any chance you could take it for a longer drive, maybe with some freeway time, stop and go, before you get back to the shop that did the replacement? Was it a MB Sprinter shop, btw?
It was Pep Boys. With me telling the guy where the battery was and watching his every move

I called them when I got home and gave them a heads up that there was a problem.

I can drive it a bit before taking to the shop.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #6

I hear ya on watching his every move.

I'm out of ideas, so good luck with it.
I've only ever had a brief ESP warning light, no code (I didn't look for one) that cleared after a bit of driving. I attributed it to some rock and roll on the freeway, with a nasty crosswind, and some aggressive big rig bow wash. All during my "break in" period of getting used to the driving/handling of the Navion on the freeway. It cleared on it's own after I got the hang of the push pull of the crosswinds and the freeway impediments.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #7

I also had that ESP and a couple other lights come on when we got hit by a big side gust - as with yours, it cleared itself.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #8

Beginners luck? It took me a bit of freeway driving to get the hang of the areodynamics of the Navion on the freeway, compared to the Sunstar and the Roadtrek. Now that I've got 30,000 miles under my belt, it's almost automatic, compensating for everything the road throws at us. I watch my mirrors for the next bow wash, and the treelines and wind breaks along the side of the roads, looking for gaps where the crosswinds will try to give us a little push.
btw, Montana is one of our favorite states, and AZ, too. You're lucky to be able to split your time between those two.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
May be a long shot but dealer disconnected the seat belt wire under the driver seat and gave a SRS light. Easy to check.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
May be a long shot but dealer disconnected the seat belt wire under the driver seat and gave a SRS light. Easy to check.

I don't see anyting disconnected and the fuses to the airbag controller are good.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
I got an airbag fault on my Entegra Qwest when a wire under the driver seat got severed by rotating the seat to face the house instead of the windshield. I spliced the wire and then added cabling covers to protect the wires from getting pinched when the seat rotated. Probably not the same issue, but was is a auick thing to check under the seat. Was an easy fix when I found it.
gzvette61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #12

Thanks!! I did slide the seat back to make it easier to install the battery, but I have checked numerous times and don't see any broken wire of things unplugged. I am still getting Dr and Pass airbag crash sensor errors.

I have a appt at the dealer on Tuesday to clear the codes and my wallet of $195!

I will be presenting the bill to PepBoys!
Old 04-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #13

Follow up

I had the codes cleared yesterday - most were low voltage codes on various control modules. They washed the motor home and charged me the promised $195. I took the invoice to Pep Boys and they reimbursed me. Almost a happy ending.

On the way home, a dump truck cut me off, crossed the fog line to the right and sprayed me with gravel, taking out the windshield. Good thing I carry $0 deductible on glass!
Old 04-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
I had the codes cleared yesterday - most were low voltage codes on various control modules. They washed the motor home and charged me the promised $195. I took the invoice to Pep Boys and they reimbursed me. Almost a happy ending.

On the way home, a dump truck cut me off, crossed the fog line to the right and sprayed me with gravel, taking out the windshield. Good thing I carry $0 deductible on glass!
Sounds like you've caught some of my luck.

At least you got the codes cleared and reimbursed.

Thanks also for posting the update/resolution.

Tags
ace, air, airbag, battery, replace, replacement