Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Alaska 2022

Wife and I are in the Midwest (Southern WI). Hoping to go to Alaska next year (May?-Oct? as allowed). Any others interested in a small (3-5 sprinter) caravan. We are retired and would like to find some others to travel as a group. Hopefully one member who has done it before. We travel one day sight see one or more days if in a good location. No objection to multiple days travel as long as its leisurely. We mostly stay in campgrounds but boondocking is OK as we have generator, solar and Lithium batteries. We tow a Smart Car for sightseeing and emergency travel. You donít have to be from the Midwest I just thought that would make it easier. I think a group of Class Bís would be cool but not a requirement either. Group consensus will determine route, schedule etc. I will compile a list if others are interested and post it so people can form their own groups if there is enough interest. How should we make contact? Email, text, PM...
Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://themilepost.com/about-us/

That might help you on your planning. Hope you get a group together and have a good time.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #3

Would be interested in seeing what the response is like for your project. We went from Ontario to Alaska via the Michigan UP, crossed back into Canada north of Minot, ND, and then followed our GPS to Dawson Creek, BC and the start of the AlCan highway, Hwy 97. It was one of our most memorable trips.
I hope you'll be allowed to transit through Canada by 2022.
Right now, we're closed to non-essential travel, no tourism/vacations travel, with no end in sight. The current rules for transiting Canada by land to get to Alaska, are in this webpage document.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nsit-alaska-us
Old 05-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #4

We were considering something similar but weíre concerned about travel restrictions especially since there seems to be a covid upsurge in Canada now. We are thinking 2023 now
EdJodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Follow up

I have been reading all the posts I can find about traveling to Alaska. Definitely getting Mileposts. Undecided about Toad. If with a small group it may not be necessary. Thatís why Iím planning now for next year, or later as Covid allows. We originally wanted to go this year but Covid pushed that back. If we have to delay it longer we wonít be happy about it but that just gives us more time to plan and find a compatible group. We are also planning a Northwest US trip later this year and it may be a chance for the group to get together for a few days somewhere to hash out some details. Thanks to everyone trying to help. I thought I would get more responses of people who are thinking of going. May be just didnít post this in the right spot.
Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:42 AM   #6

We would love to find some compatible travel mates but have not been very successful in the last 3 years unless we are with an organized group ie(FMCA, Wit, Escapees etc.) or a tour. We are in our early 70's and not sure what will happen in the next 3-5 years so we bit the bullet and have signed up with RV travel tours. Pricey, but one way to tour the country in the companionship of others. Trying to get multiple people on the same page and going in the same direction without an organized tour is like the proverbial herding of cats. During the winter I travel with a "gang" of 4-6 coaches in central florida that are all close friends and our planning meetings are hysterical. I want to drive 500 miles a day, I need to stop every 50 miles, I want to see the worlds biggest ball of twine or every winery along the way etc., etc.,. I hope this works out for you....bob
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpetzrick View Post
I have been reading all the posts I can find about traveling to Alaska. Definitely getting Mileposts. Undecided about Toad. If with a small group it may not be necessary. Thatís why Iím planning now for next year, or later as Covid allows. We originally wanted to go this year but Covid pushed that back. If we have to delay it longer we wonít be happy about it but that just gives us more time to plan and find a compatible group. We are also planning a Northwest US trip later this year and it may be a chance for the group to get together for a few days somewhere to hash out some details. Thanks to everyone trying to help. I thought I would get more responses of people who are thinking of going. May be just didnít post this in the right spot.
We didn't have a toad first time out, because were were in a class B van. There were times when I wished we had a "lifeboat" behind us, in case of trouble. Now that we can tow one, we'd probably pull it along.
It's a good idea that if you see fuel, buy fuel.
An extra spare tire is also recommended for Hwy97. Carry 2 if you can.
As you've probably read, cell service can be absent from north of Dawson Creek along Hwy 97 all the way to the AlCan border. It will usually resume in proximity to most of the Canadian cities, towns, and villages, but there's no guarantee. Also, Bell/Telus had better coverage along that route 5 years ago. Rogers was our carrier and we had to buy a Bell based SIM card in Whitehorse to give us a chance of getting service along the route. It may be better for Rogers now, I don't know, but here's a cell tower finder for that area.
https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/...layers=a&pid=0

Road conditions can be anything, in any province or area. Some useful websites for Canadian provincial road conditions.
https://511.alberta.ca/
https://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/events/index.html
Current Road Conditions | Government of Yukon
https://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/Highways/Highway-Conditions

If you decide to return via the Cassiar Hwy, here's a fuel and amenities website/map that might be helpful.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...lable-services

You'll probably get tired of looking at the back end of "pilot" vehicles too, if the construction season is up and running, as it seems to be.

Take your time, is the best advice.

We managed to survive the majority of the trip without any major failures, until we were almost out of BC on our return. In a construction zone with only coarse gravel as the surface, posted at 30mph/50kph, an oncoming heavy truck flew past us at around 50mph/80kph. We saw it coming and pulled as close to the ditch as we could, but were still showered with gravel, and our windshield got chipped. It could have been worse. Some of the truckers up there don't seem to care about safety, and are always in a hurry. So beware of the speeding trucks.

Tags
alaska