Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Alignment When & Where--MB/CW?

Being a relative new owner of our first motorhome and having just put a new set of Michelins on our 2015 Navion, I would appreciate advice and opinions about alignment. I actually scheduled an appointment for alignment at the Mercedes Sprinter dealer near me. When I dropped it off, I was advised of the cost. But when I went to pick it up, I was informed that with the wide box on the Sprinter they could (would?) not do the alignment. They advised I should go to Camping World for my alignment and routine maintenance. Is Camping World a good option and are there better? But this also started me thinking that maybe I don't need an alignment until I see uneven tread wear? So advice on when and where would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #2

I would hesitate to have any repair or maintenance done at Camping World. Some are great, but some are very bad when it comes to service. I wouldn't think Camping World would be equipped to handle a motorhome alignment.

I suggest contacting alignment shops, especially those that do truck alignments. Ask them specifically if they can perform an alignment on a Mercedes Benz 3500 chassis and include the fact it's a motorhome.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #3

You may not need an alignment, unless the tires you put on are somehow vastly different from what you removed.

I agree about avoiding CW for almost anything, and would escalate the refusal to do the alignment to MB higher up. Winnebago is an official MB approved upfitter, and they should be able to do it.

Or simply call around to another MB Sprinter dealership. I know they're scarce but it may be worth it.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #4

Freightliner dealer has come up in past discussions. They handle the big stuff and are more reasonable on maintenance I have read, they don't have to buy the pastries!
gchapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

I recommend a professional large truck alignment shop. They can handle the RV size. My E450 class C chassis had 17k (2k of mine) miles on it. I did not like how it handled and went to a local large truck & RV alignment shop. He said "mine would be the first if it did not need an alignment". Quoted $175 if no parts needed, but advised caster cams most likely needed $90. $300 total and after 4k cross country miles handling is vastly improved.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I too would urge you to find a local truck tire or repair facility. Ask them if they do Sprinter alignment. Drive by and see if there are Sprinters on the lot. I noticed uneven wear on my front tires after a cross country trip, my first long trip in my new to me Winnebago Era. The nearest Mercedes/Sprinter dealer is over a hundred miles away. I had a local truck tire store do mine, excellent job and they didn't empty my wallet. I have trouble ambulating and sat in the passenger seat while it was done, very sophisticated and it took about an hour and a half.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

Definitely have the alignment done. I have aligned dozens of Sprinter Motorhome alignment and all were way out of spec.
Most of them were rental units so I am sure there was less concern about hitting curbs etc. though.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
My MB dealer has a Sprinter dedicated shop, new $35,000 alignment rack and was able to align my Sprinter RV. Solved a problem with tire wear.
Camping World would be the last choice for chassis maintenance. If a Sprinter shop isn't available I agree with looking for a major truck tire shop.

Mercedes of Pensacola- alignment rack at the far end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprinter shop.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	257535  
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleDutch View Post
I recommend a professional large truck alignment shop. They can handle the RV size. My E450 class C chassis had 17k (2k of mine) miles on it. I did not like how it handled and went to a local large truck & RV alignment shop. He said "mine would be the first if it did not need an alignment". Quoted $175 if no parts needed, but advised caster cams most likely needed $90. $300 total and after 4k cross country miles handling is vastly improved.

Pretty much the same story here. Noticed a little abnormal wear on the front tires of my E450 chassis and took it to an RV-capable alignment shop that said the caster cams needed to be replaced. It handled much better after the new parts and alignment. "Only" about $300 for the fix.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #10

Alignmented

Just had it done on Ď07 F-53 chassis for $200 at a local Service Tire Center. They handle all big rigs, I felt puny! So, if you can get it for $175 I donít feel bad. Had new steer tires installed too.
Kennest6 is offline   Reply With Quote