Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Annunciators/Shifting After Lightning Strike

Hi,

Want to see if any others in this forum have experienced problems with Sprinter 3500 after lightning strike nearby. My 2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500 is the chassis for my 2010 Fleetwood Pulse 24D. I recently had a direct hit by lightning at my house. The RV is under a pole barn about fifty feet from the house. The lightning strike fried most electronics in the house (all plugged in to 'good' surge protectors). The lighting strike also got a transformer about 200' from the house. I had just driven the RV 25 miles after getting the air bag recall accomplished and all was well. The RV was not plugged in.

After the lightning strike I had the following annunciations: check engine light, ABS, Traction (tire spinning icon), ESP and also the brake light was on. Parking brake was definitely not on. Drove the RV to see if I could get it to service shop, but found that it would not go out of first gear.

Generator will no longer start and the voltage showed 19.8 Volts, so pretty sure the coach part of the RV has electrical issues to.

Has anyone else had this experience or have had the same annunciations at the same time?

Will be checking replies back here or on my email address: doncolemanjr@gmail.com
captiva240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #2

Try disconnecting the chassis battery for a couple of minutes , and while you're waiting ; contact your insurance company .

I hate to say it; BUT; this does not sound good.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #3

Thanks!

Yes, have contacted insurance company. Did not think about 'rebooting'. Will give that a try! If this doesn't work, it will have to be towed to nearest Mercedes dealership for repair. They can not take it until July 16. :(
Old 07-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
The 3 lights can be the result of a wheel sensor failure. However both times I have had them they came on while underway. Did not have a brake light. Also they would reset on restart (go out) and then reappear. The second time (Left rear sensor) it did effect the transmission, did not shift out of 1st until 3000+rpm then hard shift back to 1st and an engine surge... . When lights are on, cruise control is disabled.
Does throw a code that dealer can retrieve even if lights are out.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry, but I really don't have a good feeling about your coach.

While you didn't get hit directly, you got clobbered by the EMP generated by the strike. Sorry to say, but the electrical and electronic repairs to the coach will probably be extensive and may require a complete rewire and replacement on the chassis.

Your insurance company, once it has quotes for repair, may declare a total loss.

I met a couple once (with a Phaeton like ours) which had lightning strike within 6 feet of their coach. The engine electronics had to be completely replaced, all the house electronics had to be replaced, and a substantial portion of the coach wiring had to be replaced. It took over 6 months to get everything back in operation. Because the coach was fairly new and a high dollar item, their insurance covered it completely but if the repair exceeds the value...
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #6

Fingers Crossed

Thanks for your reply! Yesterday I decided to plug into 110. So far the only things that are not working in the coach part are the air conditioning and generator. Generator shows 21vdc, so know something is fried there (not plugged into 110). Generator turns over, but no start. Fuel pump is not working. Will be looking for a fuse there. AC circuit breaker is on, but no power. Going to start checking for power up line. Mercedes dealership can't take me until July 16.

In the manual I did find that all the indicators at the same time indicates failure of the EBV system. Researching that.

I think it could definitely be worse. In retrospect, I was depending on the RV as backup to house when house AC was fried. Fortunately, got the AC repaired same day, so didn't have to use back up. Wouldn't have worked anyway.....
Old 07-08-2018, 06:14 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply! Found all these indications at the same time in the manual and indicates failure of the EBV system. Mine won't shift at 3000 RPM. Didn't try to go any higher on the RPM's.

Tags
light