Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2021, 09:37 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Made a lateral move for a while to develop a strictly CAN/OBD reader. As I started to do the coding to support all of the PIDs I found on WIKI I maxed out the memory of the Arduino MEGA I’ve been using. Still proceeding I will just have to cut back on my expectations to only handle some PIDs just not all of them. If anyone has Sprinter superficial PIDs or DTCs shoot me a message. I’m interested in supporting as many Sprinter specific PIDs as possible. Logging to SD card works pretty well I just have not processed the raw data to get meaningful values yet. I can read in the DTC list I have (not Sprinter specific) and should be able to compare to any the vehicle throws. More fun to follow as I work it out.
Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #16

I don't have any experience with CAN or OBD-II programming but you may want to look at transitioning this to a raspberry pi. Arduino is a neat piece of kit but you're already running into their limitations.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
I don't have any experience with CAN or OBD-II programming but you may want to look at transitioning this to a raspberry pi. Arduino is a neat piece of kit but you're already running into their limitations.
Agreed. Pi4 4gig.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Finally got version 1.0 of my alternative F53 dash display done. Well, darn near done. One more thing to look into, but overall it's working well.

First pic is a closeup of the display. The one remaining issue is that Tow/Haul should say off. It was working, not sure why it isn't here. Will have to figure it out.

No, the temp was not 480 degrees. It was 48. The extra 0 was a startup artifact that has since been corrected. And the engine is idling and the display is off by one. There should be 2 ticks lit up. That's been fixed as well.

The display is pretty self-explanatory. It reproduces almost everything on the F53's dash except for the Oil Pressure gauge which isn't available via the OBD2 port. I'm really pleased with the Gear display. In this case, the shift lever is in "D" and the tranny is in 1st gear. I really wanted to know exactly what gear it's actually in, regardless of what the lever says. I've also found that the lever pointer rides between some of the numbers on the display - no confusion with the new version!

As seen in the second picture it's nice and bright and easy to see. Plus, I don't have to take my eyes off the road to read it.

Technology is a Teensy 4.0 microcontroller (Arduino clone), breakout board to make it easy to wire everything up, and a 3.2" TFT LCD. Programming is all my own. The research and hacking to find the necessary PIDs (these are all based on "secret" Ford mode 22 PIDS) took about 40 hours.

I'm quite pleased with it, and looking forward to getting out on the road to see how it performs.

Version 2 is in the planning stages. The first step is more investigation/hacking to get more codes, especially those related to the Cruise Control. I want to be able to see when the CC is on, engaged, and what the set point is. I'll also add trip computer functions. And, to see everything I plan to move up to a 5" or 7" display.

Regards,

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3636209-1819-455A-B6B6-115BB493B04F.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	325009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of C92ECD4B-1126-469A-BD0E-4AAE9E778DE7.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	325010