Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #1

Blue wire for trailer brakes

I have a 2009 Fleetwood ican on a sprinter 3500 chaisis. Looking for the cab end of the blue wire attached to the 7 blade plug. Anyone know where they put it? Or if there is a factory harness where to locate it.
Thanks
Jimmy
mystyrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2022, 11:04 AM   #2

I have no specific knowledge of the wiring location but CONCEPTUALLY, it should be to the right side of the steering column. Its purpose is to connect to the trailer brake controller. Since most people are right-handed, the logical place for a trailer brake controller is to the right of the steering column. My F350 has a plug for a brake controller so I assume a Sprinter will too. Also, since many brake controllers have a somewhat standard plug, searching for 'Sprinter brake controller plug', I find this adapter cable. Look at this adapter and see if you can find a mating plug in the vicinity of the accelerator pedal.

https://www.sprinterstore.com/merced...QaAqQAEALw_wcB
MechEngrSGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #3

Thanks for that thought. I had looked but didn't see anything. Chrysler did tell me that VIN indicated a harness. I will look harder. That right hand side of driver is a large cover of some sort. Maybe it has to be moved. I will look for a connector like picture.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:36 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your Sprinter chassis is not easily connected to conventional trailer brake controllers due to the heavy reliance on CanBus wiring architecture. Your best bet is to use a Curt or similar wireless brake controller that plugs into the 7-way plug. This eliminates messing with (and messing up) the chassis wiring.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...RT/C51180.html
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:04 AM   #5

found connector

I was able to follow instructions from a member and the connector is under the driver's seat. A follow up question. This member - somehow when responding to him I lost his message - said it had worked. Do you remember if you had to add any fuses and, if so, which spots were used?
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 11-04-2022, 07:53 PM   #6

blue and red wires under driver’s seat

On my 2017 chassis/2019 Forester MBS, the blue wire goes directly to the electric brake blade of the 7-blade receptacle, without fuse. The red wire under the driver’s seat is power and is fused (20 Amp in-line fuse holder accessible through the side panel of seat base). The red wire powers the Hopkins (Curt on some models) light controller located along the driver’s side frame near the rear bumper, and is split before the controller to run power to the power blade of 7-blade receptacle. ALL tail lights are controlled by the Hopkins controller to isolate the Mercedes chassis wiring from the coach and trailer wiring and lights. If the in-line fuse on the red wire blows, YOU WILL HAVE NO TAIL LIGHTS. Also if the Hopkins controller malfunctions you will get weird results. After a Hopkins unit failure, I had the left side brake light on full-time even with the key off (the red wire powering the controller is always hot), and no other tail lights. I believe that there was a wire end connector on the blue wire that was supposed to be compatible with certain electric brake controllers, but I ended up removing it and wiring my electric brake controller (for boat trailer) and dash-mounted feedback indicator from my Stay-in-play Duo (for towed car) myself, using the blue wire, a diode, and a power switch. I also ran a feedback wire from a tail light to a relay wired to the headlight switch driving a dash-mounted LED indicator to light up if the headlight switch is on and the tail light is off at the same time. I felt this was a necessary safeguard after losing my rear lights twice due to blowing the red wire fuse and a malfunction of the Hopkins controller — all eventually found likely to be caused by improper installation of diodes in the brake wires of my towed car by the mechanic who installed the stay-in-play.
RWM2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 07:06 PM   #7

Thumbs up Thanks RWM2018

I will check all that out. Great information.
mystyrg.

Tags
brake, brakes, trailer