Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2019, 07:12 AM   #1

Braking System on MB Chassis

looking at downsizing from a class a to the LTV with the sprinter chassis. wife wants to travel through the mountains, do the brakes work well traveling down the mountains as well does the v-6 engine have good power traveling up
Smbuddy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We haven't had any issues with ours and the tiptronic shift is very convenient when needed.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #3

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We've driven our across country several times, including through Yellowstone, over peaks of 8800 feet. The turbo 3 liter drives like a much bigger engine. Our only issue at altitude was a lag in the turbo when starting movement, like from a stop, since the air density is low. You quickly learn to adjust for that but otherwise it's been a delight to drive with no reservation on type of terrain.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I live at 4500 ft and am constantly going up and down mountains. The Sprinter does great with plenty of power to drag the coach and toad up and down the mountains. You have an easy to control transmission and 4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes. You downshift to go up hills and downshift to slow you down going down hills. It all works as it is supposed to.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #5

Just got back from a 7,000 mile trip across the US southern states, from Florida to AZ and back, and had no problems with any of the hill country at all. Up or down. I do wish they'd "refresh the infrastructure" along I-10 in and near the big cities. I was more concerned about the chassis being damaged by the bad roads, than issues with drive train capability.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

I have a 2015- kicks ass on Hills (up and down). I can go 8000 or so KM before needing to add DEF (aka horse piss). The transmission does a decent job on down hills. Make sure you get the unit aligned since the majority of manufacturers do not once the unit is fitted out and at weight.
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our 2017 has no problems with mountains even with the toad. I've read that diesels have more torque in the low end and the turbo 3.0 L V-6 just keeps going. The brakes are 4-wheel disk with ABS. Going downhill, I manually downshift to a lower gear to keep them from overheating, the engine doesn't seem to mind and it helps me keep the speed down.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #8

FWIW, the brakes handled well on an emergency stop outside of Washington DC this past weekend. Traffic went from 60 to a stop and I had to slam on the brakes. Truth be told, I was pulling a dinghy with me, and it felt like the brakes of the dinghy helped tremendously as well to avoid a crash.
FunkyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Sprinter has "Active Brake Assist" -noticeable difference when brake applied normally and when applied rapidly (emergency stop) The "assist" applies more pressure at faster rate bassed on how fast pedal is depressed...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:13 AM   #10

The Sprinter has no compression braking, no exhaust brake and goes downhill like a banshee unleashed. The downshift does add a little drag to the tranny/engine but no vacuum in a diesel, free-flow air. Now, good news, finally the new chassis will have a 7 speed with transmission braking. That's a big deal and a great improvement. Yeah, we do mountains in this View '18V24D and we did mountains in the '06View. Last week I came down the Cherohala Skyway in the '18V24D. Stab the brakes before the sharp grades and curves and prevent heat buildup but I do miss the turbo brake our DP had. I could literally descend that route and NEVER touch the wheel brakes. Normal interstate driving you don't encounter those grades and the Sprinter handles it OK. The longer and steeper the grade the hotter you will get the wheel brakes, just the way it works. You stay in a low gear, usually the lowest gear needed to climb, and start downhill slow stabbing brakes to keep rpms out of the red zone. I'm waiting to see how the new tranny will help - should be great!
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry, but I am going to high jack the post. Couldn' t help myself. Very jealous of your trip over the Cherahaha Skyway, bet it was lovely. This is one of the most beautiful routes in the US and I can't imagine a better time then early May to drive from Tellico Plains to Robbinsville or vice versa.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
Sorry, but I am going to high jack the post. Couldn' t help myself. Very jealous of your trip over the Cherahaha Skyway, bet it was lovely. This is one of the most beautiful routes in the US and I can't imagine a better time then early May to drive from Tellico Plains to Robbinsville or vice versa.

Yes, the Tellico was one of my favorite whitewater runs when a younger kayaker, ledges and Baby Falls. Bald River Falls had more water than I've ever seen flowing. We stayed a week at Indian Boundary then drove up the Tellico road to State Line for dry camp. The area is just a beautiful forest. The small dry camps are decent now, dry but a dump is only a few mile back down the road.
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak70 View Post
Yes, the Tellico was one of my favorite whitewater runs when a younger kayaker, ledges and Baby Falls. Bald River Falls had more water than I've ever seen flowing. We stayed a week at Indian Boundary then drove up the Tellico road to State Line for dry camp. The area is just a beautiful forest. The small dry camps are decent now, dry but a dump is only a few mile back down the road.

Bet you are familiar with US 64 from Ocoee to Murphy, then, too. Another beautiful drive particularly if one wants to get from Chattanooga to Johnson City on a fall Saturday afternoon when Tennessee is playing football in Neyland Stadium.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis