Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #15

Triple E Owners Club
I agree with everything you said. I'm age 66 eh and the wife and I fit in the Bunk Size TBs and like the way you can move about to get clothes etc. I would not talk you out of LTV or TB. In general folks think you buy a class B and you don't need a toad, but I do for long trips. I am doing research on Toads now and have not selected one!

If you do short tips and don't want a toad you're good to go.
But if you "set up" at camps with mats and furniture and all the hook ups and need a bottle of wine you'll want a Scooter or a Car. The class 3 trailer hitch is rated for pulling 5,000 Lbs but what's that got to do with anything, right? I've had people tell me the 3500 Van should only tow up to a max of 3,500 Lbs. A Jeep Wrangler weighs like 3,800 Lbs. MB told me 5,000 Lbs and LTV suggested the same pointing out the truth about loss of MPG, acceleration and new loads on the breaks etc which I appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #16

Jeff

Agree re the toad many times it is nice to have. We have two of our 4 vehicles rigged for towing. A Malibu Maxx and a Smart Car. Would never think of putting a baseplate on my wifes Escalade or on my Chrysler Van.

Bought Maxx and Smarty just for towing. Smarty weighs about 1850lbs and the Maxx about 3400lbs. Had a Saturn and a Jeep in the past also but towed with a DP back then so weight was not so significant in those days.

Smarty is by far our best toad now because of the weight and when we take a toad, we usually take it. Although the Maxx only weighs 3400 lbs, I am close to my GCWR with the Malibu and I do notice the difference in the RV performance with the different loads. (The 5000lb listed tow weight for my RV means squat if I have to exceed the GCWR to tow that much.)

Both toads are rigged for my ready brake and the Malibu is also equipped with a Brake Master setup. (No value without Air Brakes on the RV but actually I could rig up the air ride compressor system to activate air brakes on the toad if I wanted to, but Ready Brake is so much simpler.)

My research reveals the powertrain and hitch on the MB 3500 is designed to tow 5000lbs but the GCWR might have to be closely looked at to see the delta between GVWR and GCWR etc. and of course, expect to go up hills slower when towing 5000lbs.

Good luck on the toad. From an RV performance perspective. Lighter is better IMHO.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #17

I currently have a 38 foot Monaco pusher and will be selling soon. I used it to full time. Have a condo in Maine now and want something small. I pulled a Honda CRV with the Monaco.

My Monaco has an exhaust break. Great for hills. Have it on all the time. So, how does this small mh handle stopping and going down hills? I assume no exhaust break. How do you slow the rig down? If I put my 3500 pound CRV on the back, how do I slow it and stop the rig?

Will going from 38 feet to 25 feet be a real shocker?

Thanks.

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #18

Bigdomino

Was not a problem for me. Went from a 40' Monaco Dynasty (with a TAG) to a 25' LTV Libero. The transition was a snap, but we missed the storage space and the W/D. But the upside for us is it meets our current lifestyle better now. We can stay in friends and family driveways without an issue and parking spots are much easier to find.

Cost was not a factor for us, but it is less expensive to operate the smaller rig. And I had a lot more room in my RV garage until my son helped me fill it up with his SeaDoos.

My wife can now drive the RV and she likes that aspect and we simply take the RV more places and even do day trips.

Don't really miss the exhaust brakes because of the lower rolling mass. I have a ready brake and that takes care of the toad braking. I think I can stop in less distance than I could with the Monaco, simply because I am about 1/4 of the weight of the Monaco. Downhill braking is not a problem for me.

I think most people get to the downsizing stage at some time in thier life. We have talked about downsizing the S&B place but I would miss the space for the toys but I know it is only a matter of time until we make that move. We are currently holding too much inventory.

Good luck
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Bigdomino

Was not a problem for me. Went from a 40' Monaco Dynasty (with a TAG) to a 25' LTV Libero. The transition was a snap, but we missed the storage space and the W/D. But the upside for us is it meets our current lifestyle better now. We can stay in friends and family driveways without an issue and parking spots are much easier to find.

Cost was not a factor for us, but it is less expensive to operate the smaller rig.

I think most people get to the downsizing stage at some time in thier life.
Good luck
My recent 6,000+ mile "trip of a lifetime" in signature coach at $.57 per mile (just for the gas) has taken much of the "fun" out of RVing for me. $150.00-200.00 EVERY day at the pump is just not OK with me. Not wanting to give up our travels, today I have begun to explore the options a "B" may provide. Looking forward to all the advice you members can provide here. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #20

I have prices that all of the manufactures of the Spartan chassis B+ motorhomes seem to have the same layout. Why is this? Are these the only floor plans that work with this chassis?

Just wondering.

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #21

We have a Unity 24MB and have not found any reason for a toad. Can take in anywhere. Have driven up and down some serious grades and it has no issue with steep grades. However, so far through the first 1,500 miles we are getting 16mpg but once again that is doing 70 on the interstate and climbing so pretty steep grades. Only complaint we can really make with the MB model is that storage is a little tight and as we carry our bikes on a the hitch rack that is not an option for extra space. All in all a great unit that is excellent for two. If you need more space the island bed model has the most space.
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdavew View Post
We have a Unity 24MB and have not found any reason for a toad. Can take in anywhere. Have driven up and down some serious grades and it has no issue with steep grades. However, so far through the first 1,500 miles we are getting 16mpg but once again that is doing 70 on the interstate and climbing so pretty steep grades. Only complaint we can really make with the MB model is that storage is a little tight and as we carry our bikes on a the hitch rack that is not an option for extra space. All in all a great unit that is excellent for two. If you need more space the island bed model has the most space.
Do you have the theater seats or the U-lounge in your Unity 24MB?
Pgustaf249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #23

Theater seating. Quite happy with the setup
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #24

Do you think we would have any problem towing a Jeep Wrangler Sport soft top with a leisure UnityMB. Just bought a new Unity....we love it. We want to tow with all four wheels down...no trailer. There seems to be conflicting stories about a Unity towing anything . Panty advice greatly appreciated.
suzettenc is offline   Reply With Quote