Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Carefree Travel'R awning & BT12 module

The Carefree Travel'R awning on our 2019 View 24V appears to have stretched. When it is retracted, the material will tend to create ripples on the edges which make it difficult for it to fit into the protective shield. This fit issue is also causing problems for the motor to extend the awning when using the BT12 control module as it has difficulty unrolling the awning from the shield. Has anyone with this type of awning experienced similar problems?

My second problem is with their BT12 Control Module. I installed the control module last year for two reasons. One for the single button push to extend and retract and second for the wind sensor. The module also supports Blue Tooth connectivity for light control and wind sensitivity adjustment. When extending the awning, The module doesn't appear to supply enough current to the awning motor. When unrolling the awning, the motor will start, run a little then stop and not continue until the retract button is depressed, then stopped and the extend button is pressed again. This process must be repeated until the awning is fully extended. Retraction isn't an issue. The motor runs until the awning is fully retracted. It isn't a wiring issue because the same two wires to the motor are used to control its rotation. The problem seems to be in the module.

Carefree customer support has offered no assistance what so ever.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

Many complaints about these awnings, and the support. In warranty, get it to a dealer. Out of warranty, few options.
Best option, replace it with another brand, when it finally fails and is completely inoperative. I plan to do that if/when.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree, the awning isn't the best, but it came with the RV so I'll use it until it breaks.

Did finally get an email from Carefree after my last missive. Called and talked to one of their "Warranty Technicians". He asked whether or not my Alumishield had donuts at each end and if there were bumpers on the arms to keep them from closing too much. My awning had neither, so he's sending me those along with instructions. Not sure what they will do to correct the problem, but we'll see. Regarding the BT12, he's replacing both the Control Module and the Motion sensor.

Whole conversation was a little strange though. He never asked for any purchase date or serial number information for the components. He did ask for the serial number of the awning, but when I told him that I didn't have that information at hand, he said that it wasn't important.

One of the biggest issues I have with this awning is that it doesn't extend far enough past the side entry door. A real problem when it's raining. The Alumiguard shield also drains right at the door hinge points. Unfortunately there's no good solution that I've come up with to fix these problems. I noticed that you owned a 24V also. Did you have these issues as well?
Old 04-02-2021, 07:32 AM   #4

I'd be interested in hearing if the "parts" have any effect on the function.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

Gotta get'um first. Tech said that he'd send installation instructions via email and that hasn't happened yet, so my enthusiasm is waning already. I'll let you know what happens when it happens.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Still waiting for parts. Had to sent 2 emails to Carefree tech requesting info. on when to expect the parts. Finally received an answer, parts are on backorder. Still no email explaining installation. Did find that info. on the web. Just need the parts.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad to report that Carefree of Colorado finally came through with the parts necessary to fix most of my awning problems. I was sent two Tractioners, one Bump Out and a new BT12 Controller, Wind Sensor and FOB. Was actually surprised that the replacement kit had a FOB because the original one did not. The installed awning had one Tractioner on the left end but none on the right end. This may have been due tot he fact that unless the awning lights wiring was secured properly, the Tractioner could get tangled in the wiring. Nothing some strategically placed gorilla tape couldn't fix. The addition of the new Tractioner helped tremendously. Next I added the Bump Out. It's basically a hard rubber bumper that is installed in the motor scissor arm to keep it from compressing too much. Not sure it was needed, especially with the new Tractioner, but I'll use it until it proves useful. I pondered whether or not to install the new BT12 Controller and Wind Sensor, but decided to since the old one may have been compromised. I kept the old parts just in case. Getting all of the parts to talk to each other was the usual pain, but in the end it all worked.

My thanks to Rick Haro and Chandra Stricker at Carefree for putting up with me until this was resolved.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #8

Hey LAT-LON did you install the replacement controller yourself? I'm getting ready to install one now but I'm not sure where to connect the ign lock and weather or not I use the direct motor control or the dry connectors. Anybody feel free to chime in. Thanks
RwBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I did the initial upgrade from the simple extend/retract & On/Off switches initially supplied with the RV to the BT12 Control module w/wind sensor. I did not connect the "Ign. Lock" to anything. WB supplies this function through a separate relay. You need to use the "A" and "B" Motor control outputs from the BT12 to supply power to the awning motor. I'm not sure what "dry connectors you are referring too.

The link below will give you a pretty detailed set of instructions for the awning upgrade:

https://www.viewnavion.com/mods/auto-retract-awning

This is not my website. The author has done many upgrades to his RV and described them in detail. Hope all this helps.

Tags
awning, free, travel