Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #1

Changing headlights back to normal operation

Not sure if this has been discussed but, I would like to change the headlights back to normal operation from the way Winnebago has them set to come on when you start the engine. I would prefer to turn them on via the switch manually. Since I do the majority of my driving during the day I see no need to have the headlights on. This has caused me to change the bulbs several times due to constantly being on. They should last a lot longer than 1 year.
It appears Winnebago made a connection from the daytime running lights (which never come on) to the headlights.
Does anyone no how to change this back to normal operation? I also noticed that the tail lights on my tow vehicle stay on the whole time I'm driving as well.
Any help would be appreciated.
This is on a 2013 sprinter. Are the newer models set the same way?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #2

If you're burning out bulbs annually, there's more going on than just having DRL set as the default. Lights on for safety, is also a legal requirement in many situations, in many jursidictions.
I turn mine on during the day, by law, and because if someone sees me before an incident occurs because my lights are on, it's worth the cost of a light bulb once in a while. To me.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:51 AM   #3

The new Sprinters have nicely lit LED 'turn signal' light strips that are white. They turn amber when using the turn signal.

It really is much safer to have your lights on vs. off, especially, if the coloring of the vehicle is in a dark palette. Have you ever noticed cars coming towards you with their lights off during the day and they are a dark color? They can blend in with shadows making them much harder to see.

Also, it's common that most cars have day-time-running-lamps and I think it makes a vehicle safer. As the population gets older, you never know the ability of 'other' drivers to see well.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have to agree with the others, daytime running lights are definitely a good idea.

You could try changing to LED lights. They have a much longer lifespan than regular halogen bulbs. Just be sure to use quality replacement LED units.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #5

You really really need to find out why they are burning out... and not disarm daytime running lights.. they have saved me so many times.. and to me.. even if it is other parties fault there is just not enough compensation for injuries..
SO many times.. I have seen these lights grab the attention of other drivers..
But it's your rv.. maybe go to led lights.. or just start finding why they burn out.. maybe the lights need more ventilation..
I don't like gov mandated safety but this one I do..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Did NONE of you read the OP? He said it's not DRL issue. Winnebago apparently wired the DRL circuit to the main running light circuit. During the daytime, even the tail lights are on. Come on folks. Read...understand...reply. I have no idea how to help the OP, but I can try to get him understood.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Did NONE of you read the OP? He said it's not DRL issue. Winnebago apparently wired the DRL circuit to the main running light circuit. During the daytime, even the tail lights are on. Come on folks. Read...understand...reply. I have no idea how to help the OP, but I can try to get him understood.
Harry, if you would have read everything he said.... He said: "Since I do the majority of my driving during the day I see no need to have the headlights on."

Sounds like to me he doesn't want any lights on including DRL's.

I, too, don't know how to fix his problem but I'm hoping that he at least has working DRL's.

Safe travels
Mark
Old 10-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Harry, if you would have read everything he said.... He said: "Since I do the majority of my driving during the day I see no need to have the headlights on."

Sounds like to me he doesn't want any lights on including DRL's.

I, too, don't know how to fix his problem but I'm hoping that he at least has working DRL's.

Safe travels
Mark
Mark; I did in fact, read everything he wrote. But, let's not hijack his thread with side issues.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #9

Check the voltage going to your lights. The DRL circuit is usually lower voltage so it doesn't shorten bulb life.

Look for a long life (LL on the end of the part number) bulb for your application.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:17 PM   #10

Harry,

RV'ers always point out associated things regarding an RV. Personally, I don't think it's a stretch. It might be he hasn't thought of the benefits of DRL..... can you read his mind?

Mark
Old 10-22-2021, 08:23 PM   #11

As others have mentioned, something is not right. I can not think of the last time I needed to change a headlight on any vehicle and I run with my lights on all the time on all of my vehicles. I like to be as visible to others as possible.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:07 AM   #12

I think some of you misunderstood what the problem is here. I get the whole lights on for safety argument. The problem is the lights that are on the entire time I'm driving are the main headlights NOT the daytime running lights. I would like to switch it to where the daytime running lights are on during the day and I can manually switch headlights on at night.
The daytime running lights on my sprinter have never come on regardless of light switch or ignition key switch operation. I think winnebago made it to where the headlights (not the daytime running lights) come on when you start the engine. I want the daytime running lights ONLY during the day and HEADLIGHTS at night.
Hope this explains it better.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:40 AM   #13

Lots of commercial trucks run with their headlights (actually, all their lights) running at all times for safety. Never get turned off unless they are parked. When I was driving there was not a widespread issue with replacing bulbs and headlamps frequently.

If you're having problems with bulbs/lamps burning out, then I'd suggest there are other issues. Could be something as simple as a loose mount causing an overheating issue with the bulb (loose connections create heat, and heat kills electronic devices.)
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbo53 View Post
The problem is the lights that are on the entire time I'm driving are the main headlights NOT the daytime running lights. I would like to switch it to where the daytime running lights are on during the day and I can manually switch headlights on at night.
The daytime running lights on my sprinter have never come on regardless of light switch or ignition key switch operation.
That’s pretty strange. The manual only discusses enabling or disabling DRL, but nothing about headlights and running lights on all the time unless the headlight switch is used. There is also the ‘surround lighting’ function, which turns on all those lights but also turns them off when the key is used, but you might want to try disabling that function just to see if it has any effect.

I hope Winnebago can help you as this is pretty strange.

Tags
headlight, headlights, light, lights