Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question DEF check engine light.

I just purchased a 2014 Wbgo View 24g used 20,500 miles. Taking if home after 2nd fuel fill up I started getting a DEF CHK at start up. I had checked the DEF tank when purchased and it was at the MAX line. Next I got this squiggly river raindrops symbol on the dash and the engine light. Manual says DEF is low, however after 1000 miles if is just 1/4 inch below MAX on the tank. The engine runs fine smooth and powerful. Any Ideas?
Frobogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I think you've got a shop visit in your future. Something isn't working or sensing properly in the regeneration system. Continued driving without a properly working system could result in further damage or clogging of the system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't believe your DEF tank has any markings on it as it is somewhat remote to the fill line. Most Mercedes DEF tanks are buried in the front end framework and not visible. I would try and add at least a gallon of DEF, turn the key to the start position, wait at least one minute and see if the light goes out.

I have a 2016 chassis and have a DEF tank level on the DIC. I don't believe earlier models had any type of measuring system and waited until the DIC indicated it was time to add DEF.

If the error doesn't clear, you are going to have to take it to a Sprinter dealer.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
-What luvlabs said--The DEF tank is not visible on the Mercedes Sprinter. (You can see the top) If the light comes on the instructions are to add 2 1/2 gallons and see if the light clears after driving a several miles. If the DEF level gets lower you will get to "starts remaining" and eventually end up with a shutdown..( about 1000 miles after the light 1st comes on) If the light does not clear, dealer is needed before countdown starts....

If you can add DEF to the tank, fill it up, max is about 4.6 gallons. It burns DEF at about 1700 miles per gallon.

Look up "DEF Chk" in your operators manual under Display messages. (pg 201 in my manual) If you need a manual, download here. https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owne.../owner-manuals
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:33 AM   #5

I had the same problem with my 2013 At 33,000 miles. Ended up being a bad heating element in the DEF tank. Was replaced at the dealer under the emissions warranty, (10 yrs/100,000 miles).
Old 10-02-2017, 02:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Dummy me. Since the tank I was looking at had blue fluid in it I assumed it was Blue Def turns out it was the radiator expansion overflow tank. The DEF cap was right in front of it and so I filled it up and problem solved. Never saw blue antifreeze before.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:05 AM   #7

Humm, are you sure you didn't put some DEF in the expansion tank ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #8

Did you drain and refill radiator...?? I hope so
time2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
NO Never added to radiator just observed that the coolant is blue must be a mercedes thing. all other coolants are green or orange red.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
No just observed that the coolant was blue. Added def to the proper tank problem solved
Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobogey View Post
No just observed that the coolant was blue. Added def to the proper tank problem solved
Quite often windshield washer fluid is blue. Are you sure that's not what you're looking at?
Old 11-22-2017, 01:22 AM   #12

This thread should get some kind of comedy award. Loved it!
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #13

There are multiple posts of owner errors when adding DEF. So far adding DEF to the cooling system is the most common..........but..........it has been added to the fuel tank, windshield washer, Brake fuild reservoir so the question is valid when others are asking where one added DEF

When DEF is added to the cooling system the first symptom is the coolent temp failure code as DEF eats the coolant temp sensor. Second is the thermostat fails.
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #14

This thread should get some underscores the underscores the importance of Sprinter
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light