Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #1

DEF service light problem

The service light for the DEF and engine (yellow) service light came on while on a trip recently. I drove less than 150 miles before I was able to add the blue DEF, (2 Gals.). that's all it took. the light stayed on until I reached my destination. After setting for 4 days, I started the engine and both of the lights were still on. I left our location and headed for home. upon making a fuel stop I decided to add more DEF directly from the pumps at the fuel station which took about 3.5 gals. Made it home with no problems, however, both of the lights are still on. No countdown has started nor has anything on the dash indicated that I have a certain number of starts left.
Anyone else ever had this problem or know of some other problem that may be happening? I hate to bring it to a dealer and have them charge me lots of $$$ to reset it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
markbo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #2

I can't tell where I've read posts about DEF light on. The light will stay on for awhile but it will go away. It's taking it own sweet times that is why most of them trying to find ways to add DEF before light appears.
kohraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #3

Take it to a Mercedes Sprinter dealer.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Here is a link with some answers - hope this helps --

Ad Blue DEF Fluid reset - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Old 12-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

Update***

So I recently purchased a "UltraGauge EM plus" for future monitoring of some of the engine components and code identification checks. After install I ran the Code check and it showed the following;

P205C....This code is for the redundant tank temperature sensor, (circuitlow). It's basically telling me I have a problem with the DEF tank heating sensor.

P229F....NOx sensor Bank 1 #2, (circuit range/performance).

P2BBA.... NOx exceedance- low reagent consumption.

This is probably why my engine and DEF lights are on.
seems like a lot to go wrong all at once. I will have them double checked at my local MB sprinter repair shop here in Austin before I attempt any repairs.
I also found this very interesting article concerning MB sprinter problems with the emissions system that I think everyone should read.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson
Old 12-21-2016, 05:40 AM   #6

Well I just got my rig back from the MB dealership after the engine and DEF light would not go away. They found 2 bad emission sensors and a bad heating element and sensor in the DEF tank. Not good for a 2013 rig with only 33,000 miles. I guess its a gamble on the parts being installed at the factory. Some good some not so good.
Again, I'm not saying they are bad vehicles, I like mine and plan on keeping it for a long time. However, I just think for the extra money you dish out for this being a Mercedes product, one would and should expect better quality. These parts should last a lot longer. And yes, I take extreme care of my rig.
BTW, they did a CDI software update which they said was part of a recall I was never informed about. You guys may want to check with your local dealer to see if your rig had this update.
Also, all work done was covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile emissions warranty.

Mark
Old 12-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #7

While there is noticeable discussion of SCR issues on many Sprinter topic areas on forums, I don't think they are the norm.

2013 Sprinter 3500 37,000 miles no SCR problems.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #8

I did have the exact same issue lately with my 2011Via. However, I did go through the procedure noted in the forum that was attached here. It still had the light and the Nox sensor code. I decided to drive and see if it would regenerate. I drove it about 10 miles at a good clip and the code went away. I hope it just needed to soot out rather than another sensor problem. I have had a few with mine, especially the EGR valve early on. We are back roads travelers and I think sometimes I just need to blow mine out. Seems to help.
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #9

Update on last post on DEF issues

My Nox sensor Low reagent codes did return shortly after the above post. Turns out I had a serious problem including a shorted heater which collapsed the pump pickup tube due to overheating. The collapsed tubed led to failure of the Pump which had to be replaced. That along with another turbo low pressure problem caused by a cracked intake duct cost around $4K before it ended. Of course the 5 year warranty had expired since it is a 2011.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbo53 View Post
Well I just got my rig back from the MB dealership after the engine and DEF light would not go away. They found 2 bad emission sensors and a bad heating element and sensor in the DEF tank. Not good for a 2013 rig with only 33,000 miles. I guess its a gamble on the parts being installed at the factory. Some good some not so good.
Again, I'm not saying they are bad vehicles, I like mine and plan on keeping it for a long time. However, I just think for the extra money you dish out for this being a Mercedes product, one would and should expect better quality. These parts should last a lot longer. And yes, I take extreme care of my rig.
BTW, they did a CDI software update which they said was part of a recall I was never informed about. You guys may want to check with your local dealer to see if your rig had this update.
Also, all work done was covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile emissions warranty.

Mark
I was 3 starts away from limp mode and took mine in as well.
Used 2015 Renegade Villagio w/ just 3200 mi. ('14 build) MB
replaced two 2nd generation NOX sensors with 5th Gen. ones,
and a 23 item software update/relearn. Almost a grand, but w/
the 8 yr/110,000 mi emissions warranty...didn't cost me a dime.
Rig runs great, certainly worth looking into.
trenchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #11

Hey Markbo53, you've had the UltraGauge Scan tool & Information Center for a while now what is your opinion of it? I actually just reading posts about scan tools and found this. If it actually does real time diagnostics and gives you the extra gages it sounds great.
Thanks in advance for responding!
Bob
automatic_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic_11 View Post
Hey Markbo53, you've had the UltraGauge Scan tool & Information Center for a while now what is your opinion of it? I actually just reading posts about scan tools and found this. If it actually does real time diagnostics and gives you the extra gages it sounds great.
Thanks in advance for responding!
Bob
I haven't used it yet for monitoring, but will let you know how it performs on my next trip.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:01 AM   #13

So after all the work stated in a previous post, my P2baa code returned on two week trip. It was was not constant but did clear and usually returned after a day of driving. I returned it to the dealer who did the previous work on the emission components. They had told me on the previous visit that the Nox sensors had tested on borderline failure. This time the test showed they were out so another $1400 and software upgrades and sensor replacements later it is clear of codes again. That includes about $6K of repairs in the past 6 months when I include replacing all the glow plugs earlier due to failure of 3 of 6. This does not reflect the reliability of other diesels I have had experience with. Hopefully these issues have been remedied in later models.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyteach View Post
So after all the work stated in a previous post, my P2baa code returned on two week trip. It was was not constant but did clear and usually returned after a day of driving. I returned it to the dealer who did the previous work on the emission components. They had told me on the previous visit that the Nox sensors had tested on borderline failure. This time the test showed they were out so another $1400 and software upgrades and sensor replacements later it is clear of codes again. That includes about $6K of repairs in the past 6 months when I include replacing all the glow plugs earlier due to failure of 3 of 6. This does not reflect the reliability of other diesels I have had experience with. Hopefully these issues have been remedied in later models.
Sorry to hear... these things are annoying as well as expensive. How many miles on your rig ?

Tags
light, service