Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #1

Different size tires on front

My tire size for my MB sprinter should be 215/85 R 16:
I bought a 225/75 R 16 by accident.
My question is if Iíve running the right size on rear wheels and I use the new ones in front, Will I have or create a problem doing this.
Or should I just bight the bullet and get the right size?
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Hennessy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

As a layman, I think you'd be fine to put those on. They're just 10 mm wider than your rear tires, and the aspect ratio is 10% less, but that aspect ratio is based on the width of the tread, so the sidewall should be very similar to the rear tires. In other words, I think the width and aspect ratio kind of balances out, and it actually might be a good thing to have slightly wider steer tires. By the way, the size that you bought is the size tires that my Fleetwood Class C has all around.

Now I'll let the real tire experts weigh in
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the only potential impact will be how you rotate tires, if you put on enough miles to do that at all. You'll be doing that side to side or front to back, but not diagonally. But all that really depends on how much you drive the RV. On my Class A, I just switch to fronts side to side based on Ford's recommendations. The rears stay put.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They might throw your speedometer off a little but as long as all the tires on an axel are the same you should be okay.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:09 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Oops.. I agree with the rest and wouldn't worry about it. Since it's such a small difference, I would imagine that the pressure could still be the same. That's the only thing that I would pay attention to.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandDeb View Post
Since it's such a small difference, I would imagine that the pressure could still be the same.
According to the Goodyear inflation table, there's only a 10 lb load difference between the two sizes at the same 60 psi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Table.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	343643  
Old 09-20-2021, 06:27 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
According to the Goodyear inflation table, there's only a 10 lb load difference between the two sizes at the same 60 psi.
Good info, thanks for posting!

Certainly doesn't warrant running out and spending the money to have the tire replaced. Let it go and call it a day.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
They might throw your speedometer off a little but as long as all the tires on an axel are the same you should be okay.
It shouldn't affect the speedometer. If he was changing the drive tires to a larger or smaller height it would, but not the front. But frankly I'll bet the tires are almost the same circumference. If you look at the tread width vs aspect ratio of the old and new tires, I think they balance out, or would be very close to the same circumference.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #9

Looks like the 225's are slightly smaller than the 215's, based on the 710 rev/mi (225) vs 684 rev/mi (215) figures in the links below.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...CCV2&tab=Specs

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...6ACC&tab=Specs
Old 09-21-2021, 09:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would not worry about them.

They will be a little wider, will not affect the speedo because the reading is taken from the transmission output, spare will be smaller.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:08 PM   #11

Thanks to all! My mind is at ease!
Hennessy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #12

Do you have ABS?

There may be a small problem with running the smaller tire of the front of the van if it has 4 wheel Anti-Lock Brakes. With a four wheel anti-lock system there is a minimum of 3 wheel speed sensors; one on each front wheel and either one at the differential, but more likely one at each rear wheel. IF you run smaller tires on the front with any four wheel anti-lock the difference in revolutions of the front and rear wheels the system will set a code and disable the anti-lock brake system. This will also effect any traction control system as they use the same wheel speed sensors.

On the other hand if there are no anti-lock brake or traction control systems you should not have any problems. Just make sure you keep the tires on axles by pair, do not mix sizes on one axle.

Final note, there should be information on tire sizes in the owners manual, it will frequently have the information you seek with the coverage on using spare tires.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
There may be a small problem with running the smaller tire of the front of the van if it has 4 wheel Anti-Lock Brakes. With a four wheel anti-lock system there is a minimum of 3 wheel speed sensors; one on each front wheel and either one at the differential, but more likely one at each rear wheel. IF you run smaller tires on the front with any four wheel anti-lock the difference in revolutions of the front and rear wheels the system will set a code and disable the anti-lock brake system. This will also effect any traction control system as they use the same wheel speed sensors.

On the other hand if there are no anti-lock brake or traction control systems you should not have any problems. Just make sure you keep the tires on axles by pair, do not mix sizes on one axle.

Final note, there should be information on tire sizes in the owners manual, it will frequently have the information you seek with the coverage on using spare tires.
For those of us that grew up driving without ABS, disabling the ABS might be a good thing

I for one find it annoying as heck.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
For those of us that grew up driving without ABS, disabling the ABS might be a good thing

I for one find it annoying as heck.

I used to be irritated by abs too, but then they actually developed systems that work. Being a mechanic I had to learn all the ins and outs to the systems, how and what makes them work in order to properly repair them. Having driven the same vehicle before and after repair, I can attest to how effective they are, I used to do my testing on a gravel road, and when the system is working correctly the vehicle stops, faster with little to no skidding. The ABS Can cycle the brakes on and off 100 times in the amount of time it takes for you to cycle the pedal one time.

I have had to ride with customers to duplicate unwanted activation issues, only to find the activations were caused by their braking habits. Tact is being able to tell someone they're a lunatic without offending them, riding with customers should come with hazard pay. lol

PS. I learned to drive in a 55 ford 2 ton flatbed with a hundred a bales of hay on it, no ABS, just brake, clutch and a 2 speed rear end.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote