RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Emergency Brakes sticking

Anyone else had problems with their emergency brakes sticking when engaged? Usually takes some shifting between Drive and Reverse to get them to release. Now I just engage the handle until the idiot light on the dash turns on so that I can I deploy the slide. My guess is that the brake mechanism on one side or the other has rusted a little, but it looks like a pain to get to it to clean it up.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Pull the handle up a couple of clicks to engage. Push and hold the button and pull up slightly before putting the handle down to release. Sometimes, if the button is sticky, pull up slightly before pushing the button in. Easy peasy if you are used to lever type emergency brakes (which are really rare on American cars).

If you really think your problem is a sticking brake, take it to your mechanic or MB dealer.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
May be a problem with new chassis. My 2016 Sprinter Emerg. brake releases easily.(As luvlabs above) Friend with new Wayfarer Sprinter- the brake just didn't want to release, we tried for about 30 minutes before it let go. It worked fine after but the next day leaving the campground it would not release again. I think the Mercedes dealer adjusted it.
Hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the responses. I'm familiar with the lever E brake systems, so education is not the issue. I've had many cars over the years. Some with pedal emergency brakes, some with pull levers and some with pull handles under the dash. Showing my age there.

At least someone else has seen the problem. Luckily mine have not been as stubborn to release. Anyway, I guess it will take a trip to the MB shop cause getting to the E brake mechanism on these Sprinters is a pain. Unfortunately the local dealer is way across town for me. Hate to drive it that far for a little thing. Will probably wait until there are a couple of items to address before it's warranty expires.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
I've had many cars over the years. Some with pedal emergency brakes, some with pull levers and some with pull handles under the dash. Showing my age there.
Like the T-handle you pulled out to set, and rotated to release. Early 60's Chevy II I think?

Or like the sideways emergency brake handle under the dash of a Corvair. And no "Park" position on the dashboard transmission shifter tab.

Quote:
At least someone else has seen the problem. Luckily mine have not been as stubborn to release. Anyway, I guess it will take a trip to the MB shop cause getting to the E brake mechanism on these Sprinters is a pain.
Try lifting the handle and then jamming it down fast to the stop. Always works on mine when the brake itself (not the lever) is sticking. Even the dealer suggested it, though I was already doing it.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks again for the responses.

Yeah, I remember those E brake handles, too. Much easier to do a bootleg turn with the hand lever though :-).

Think that I've tried the slap-it-down approach as well. If a MB tech suggested it to you, they must know that it is an issue.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Think that I've tried the slap-it-down approach as well. If a MB tech suggested it to you, they must know that it is an issue.
It wasn't even a tech - it was the person who writes the order and acts as your personal M-B customer service liaison. And she didn't have any dirt under those nails. So I'm guessing it's a very well known issue, at least among M-B order-writers and personal customer service liaisons.

But she was right, although I already knew it from messing with it myself.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
The Service Writers see all. Sometimes they are more aware than anyone else at the dealership.
Wonder if the problem is in the handle mechanism and not in the rear EBrake mechanics? Did they ever fix your problem or did you just let it go since you had a solution?
Old 07-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Did they ever fix your problem or did you just let it go since you had a solution?
They said they checked that adjustment and it was good, so I just let it go. It works, though I have to drop the handle hard to get the brake to not drag, or to get the dash light to clear, so itís good enough.

Iíd have thought the handle should have more travel upward to set the brake ,but the driverís seat swivels and has to clear the handle with the brake on, so I dismissed adjusting it upward myself.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Iíd have thought the handle should have more travel upward to set the brake ,but the driverís seat swivels and has to clear the handle with the brake on, so I dismissed adjusting it upward myself.
My sprinter RV, the brake handle can be lowered when the brake is set just by pushing it down, (without pushing the button) does not release the brake and allows the seat to rotate
Hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #11

Exclamation Sticking Ebrake

Have appointment on the 18th to address the sticking E-Brake under warranty. I'll post what they find out. If this is common problem may need to submit NTHSA complaint to get MB to look closer into it.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:50 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Please be sure to let us all know what they discover. Sounds like it is more than just one or two units that are experiencing the problem though. Hopefully not a big deal.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #13

Okay according to service advisor Mercedes E brakes are stiff you have to go all the way up and all the way down, he sees this alot but going to check anyhow make sure not out of adjustment. More to follow after pick up.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:47 PM   #14

Got the ride back they couldn't recreate the issue, they did lube it which it seems smoother and the light goes out when I release it after its fully down. They did perform a recall for the under seat wiring, couple zipties to hold wiring to the frame.
dieselshu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes