Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 09:57 PM   #15

Better get it checked.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbuddy46 View Post
Well, the van started fine this morning, drove about 175 miles today , ran as normal topped off fuel every 75 miles or about 5 gallons, the only issue I’ve encountered is that it struggles to start after turning off. I called a friend of my back home who owns a diesel repair company, i added the power source diesel fuel additive when fueling , double the recommended amount, he thought I’d be fine, i guss well see, the trouble with starting is worrying me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Better get it checked.

Given your latest post, I would agree that getting it checked would be wise.

It's not quite clear in you post if the initial start up, when cold, was normal and the struggling to start was only after the engine warmed. Regardless, something has changed.

My concern would be that due to the increased and irregular combustion within the engine from the gasoline mix, something has gotten loose or damaged, reducing the compression and causing difficulty is starting. Something that would be amplified by the expansion of a warmed engine. Might even be a sensor that was damaged and the ECU is not monitoring the engine status correctly.

Once the entire fuel system is back to full diesel, if you wait that long, and the difficulty in starting continues, it would be time to get things checked out as it is not normal.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #17

This is my biggest fear after having gas all my life.. your not alone.. just keep close eye on it.. keep as much diesel in it as possible.. try to keep it running.. don't turn off.. until you believe most is gone.. got to go somethings cam up
Old 09-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #18

Back.. i would pick up a scanner for it.. check fuel pressures.. and just for good luck.. change fuel filters.. sometimes there is a bleeder for water on filter.. you can try that.. who knows.. you might get lucky.. if got to take it in well yes can get expensive.. save
your recept for gas..you might have to make insurance claim.. sometimes they will cover it.. you definitely knocked few yrs off both fuel pumps... but its the one in tank i would worry about the most.. you can and should take it in for check up.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 09-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Biggest worry would be the injectors being damaged by the explosions from the gas/diesel mixture.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Well, we’re on vacation and I stupidly put regular gas in my Mb sprinter, about a half a tank. After about 9 miles it quit on me, had it towed to a diesel repair shop, they siphoned out about 3/4 of the tank and replaced with diesel fuel and an additive. The closest MB dealer is 243 miles away, we drove to a Walmart afterward and it seemed to run fine, am I’m safe driving it.
Change the fuel filters, if not you still will be putting gas into the system. Get the tank drained, change filters, and do this a couple of times. I have a friend who just did the same thing to his Chevy 3500. He had a garage work on it and they changed to filters out 2 times and drained the tank.
Luckily he did not have to get new ejectors installed.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #21

Gas in diesel

Well , it started right up this morning, we’ve drove to Appleton wi, there’s a MB dealer here, going to give them a call in morning, not sure if I can get in, did drive another 225 miles today with no issues, I did not try to start it after I turned off. Still stopped every 75 miles to top off with fresh gas.
Budsm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well , it started right up this morning, we’ve drove to Appleton wi, there’s a MB dealer here, going to give them a call in morning, not sure if I can get in, did drive another 225 miles today with no issues, I did not try to start it after I turned off. Still stopped every 75 miles to top off with fresh gas.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Confused.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	344279

Sure hope you meant diesel fuel.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #23
PB2

Well, diesel is heavier than gasoline, so the gas could still be in your tank as it has floated to the top.

Could you let it sit for a day or so to let the gas percolate to the top of the tank and then put a hose down the filler tube and try to siphon out the top half or quarter of your tank? Don't have any idea if this would work, but it's a suggestion...
Old 09-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Well, we’re on vacation and I stupidly put regular gas in my Mb sprinter, about a half a tank. After about 9 miles it quit on me, had it towed to a diesel repair shop, they siphoned out about 3/4 of the tank and replaced with diesel fuel and an additive. The closest MB dealer is 243 miles away, we drove to a Walmart afterward and it seemed to run fine, am I’m safe driving it.
Safe yes, but you may do further harm to your engine. The emission control systems may have been damaged and may be further damaged by the gas in your mix. The diesel repair shop should have completely drained your fuel tank and then refilled. You'll have to decide if the risk of continuing is worth it to you. If you declare it to Mercedes, you'll be on the hook for the repair for sure.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #25

My son is a service advisor at a Jeep/Ram dealer. He basically said the same thing the Ford person said. It would be a $10K plus disaster if I put gas in my truck. I guess the best advice is if you put gas in your diesel tank and realize it before you start it up, it's worth having it towed and having the tank drained. Afterwards? Who knows? I'd say it sounds like you dodged the bullet here and should just keep driving like everyone is advising and keep an eye on your gauges.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel556180 View Post
I’m always miffed that red for gas/green for diesel is the defacto standard for pricing signs-except for BP, which uses green for both…
And some of their LED signboards are also all green, or at least the ones I've noticed. I can't tell from a distance if they even have diesel, especially at night in unfamiliar surroundings. So I just don't bother with BP at all.

OP: I don't actually know what I'd do in your position. I'd have it towed without starting the engine, but since it's too late, whatever damage may have been done is done. If it's running well, I think I'd just keep driving it, but I would probably also siphon off the top again and see what comes out. Any hint of gasoline, and I'd have a shop drop the tank and clean it out, along with the fuel filter and water separator. Just to make sure it's all out of there.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epp View Post
I seem to remember that back in the 70s or 80s you would add gas to your diesel tank to prevent it from gelling in freezing weather. Maybe the higher sulfur diesel back then had more lubricity so it could tolerate it better or maybe fuel delivery systems were more tolerant of it. Maybe I am misremembering this.
Yes. Here in super cold Minnesota, when temps would drop to -20, we would routinely put 1/2 gallon of gas in each tank. Remember, that amounts to 1 gallon in 300 gallons of diesel. It was the paraffin that would cause it to gel and just a touch of gas stopped it. Alcohol was not recommended as it dissolved the paraffin. Now we use Power Service, or a like product.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Don't know what year sprinter you have or exactly how they work.

On a lot of modern Semi Truck engines the ECM protects against bad fuel. Somehow it determines the viscosity, among other things and if the fuel reaching the injector pumps isn't right, they will shut down. Not sure if a sprinter does or if the newer ones, with the Mercedes engine are different than the older one which had a cummins engine.

I did have a friend who did this with his brand new Chevy 1ton Diesel. He got a couple miles from the station and realized what he had done when he heard a funny noise in the engine and shut it down. Had it towed, tank dropped and emptied, filters changed, diesel injector cleaner run through it, and fresh diesel.

That was 5 years ago and he's still driving it. As he put it, "not a recommended service procedure"
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote