Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbuddy46 View Post
Well , it started right up this morning, we’ve drove to Appleton wi, there’s a MB dealer here, going to give them a call in morning, not sure if I can get in, did drive another 225 miles today with no issues, I did not try to start it after I turned off. Still stopped every 75 miles to top off with fresh gas.
Any good news yet?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Drive it…..no harm no foul. Add a couple quarts ATF to fuel tank for added lubricity if all the gasoline was not drained. Filters will not be harmed.

Diesel nozzles at the pump island should be green in color.
The vehicle should not have been started, It should have been pushed away from the pump and the tank siphoned empty and filled with fresh diesel. Too late for that, filters should be changed, cross your fingers.

As for green color statement, no, there is NO standard in the industry. BP uses GREEN for GASOLINE and BLACK for DIESEL

As someone noted, some places use Yellow nozzle jackets. I have had a Sprinter motorhome (sold) and now a RAM Cummins truck. I pull up to the pump, get out look at the pump, say outloud "diesel", look at the truck and say "diesel", and do a quick sniff test of the nozzle, then I proceed to pump fuel. If you don't drive it all the time, you gotta be careful.

Long Long Honeymoon video of their own experience with this.
https://youtu.be/cBkQPZZFWhs

Charles
Old 11-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Drive it…..no harm no foul. Add a couple quarts ATF to fuel tank for added lubricity if all the gasoline was not drained. Filters will not be harmed.

Diesel nozzles at the pump island should be green in color.
Should and are, can be 2 different things.
For example....
https://www.google.com/search?q=husk...Yy7muL0sGMEheM
Old 11-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Well, diesel is heavier than gasoline, so the gas could still be in your tank as it has floated to the top.

Could you let it sit for a day or so to let the gas percolate to the top of the tank and then put a hose down the filler tube and try to siphon out the top half or quarter of your tank? Don't have any idea if this would work, but it's a suggestion...
Greetings fellow Via owner! See below.
It won't.

Will diesel and gasoline separate?

Richard Neal
former Fleet Mechanic -Explosive Ordnance Tech -Machinist at Lockheed Martin (1986-2016)

NO. Diesel fuel and gasoline are each a blend of hydrocarbon compounds derived from petroleum crude oil. If these compounds are mixed, they will remain mixed and will not separate unless they are subjected to a distillation process (heating and condensing the vapors at the appropriate temperatures).
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Greetings fellow Via owner! See below.
It won't.

Will diesel and gasoline separate?

Richard Neal
former Fleet Mechanic -Explosive Ordnance Tech -Machinist at Lockheed Martin (1986-2016)

NO. Diesel fuel and gasoline are each a blend of hydrocarbon compounds derived from petroleum crude oil. If these compounds are mixed, they will remain mixed and will not separate unless they are subjected to a distillation process (heating and condensing the vapors at the appropriate temperatures).
Explains why in the 70's the manufacture recommended adding a small amount of gasoline in winter. It was so long ago I don't remember the ratio.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:15 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Across the country we have found a few places that have yellow diesel pump handles. You still have to be careful as green is not ALWAYS diesel.

Ken
I refuse to fuel at ANY BP Station because everything is GREEN. It's a serious hazard. I sent them several feedback / comment forms and never got a reply. Green should be for DIESEL only!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I refuse to fuel at ANY BP Station because everything is GREEN. It's a serious hazard. I sent them several feedback / comment forms and never got a reply. Green should be for DIESEL only!

ALWAYS look for the word 'DIESEL' and you will be good to go.

I never think about color as it can vary, I look for DIESEL!

Good luck, safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
ALWAYS look for the word 'DIESEL' and you will be good to go.

I never think about color as it can vary, I look for DIESEL!

Good luck, safe travels,
Mark
My beef with BP is that it DOES NOT VARY, except at BP. Green is diesel at EVERY other vendor. BP needs to get on board with the defacto standard and quit putting consumers at risk. Frankly, I think a class action lawsuit may be in their future.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #37

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
My beef with BP is that it DOES NOT VARY, except at BP. Green is diesel at EVERY other vendor. BP needs to get on board with the defacto standard and quit putting consumers at risk. Frankly, I think a class action lawsuit may be in their future.
Yeah, good luck with that !
Old 11-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:

Strange, I’ve seen diesel with blue, black or yellow handles at places other than BP. Yellow is usually the color for diesel cans too. Our diesel transfer tanks have red handles. Not sure what the basis for a class action lawsuit would be. But anyone can file a lawsuit for just about anything including their own negligence. If someone can’t tell the difference by sight and smell of diesel versus gasoline, I’d wonder about their diminishing capacities to be operating equipment.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #39

I was with someone who rented a Ford Focus diesel in London. He accidentally filled the tank with gasoline. After a few miles it started knocking really bad. We tried to get a service shop to empty the tank but it turned out to be a huge job. We opted instead to keep driving slowly and keep adding diesel every quarter tank or so. Eventually the knocking went away and the car returned to normal operation. There was no noticeable damage.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Strange, I’ve seen diesel with blue, black or yellow handles at places other than BP. Yellow is usually the color for diesel cans too. Our diesel transfer tanks have red handles. Not sure what the basis for a class action lawsuit would be. But anyone can file a lawsuit for just about anything including their own negligence. If someone can’t tell the difference by sight and smell of diesel versus gasoline, I’d wonder about their diminishing capacities to be operating equipment.
YEP........
Seen all colors used for pump nozzles Gas and Diesel

When pumping fuel I am NOT in a hurry...time to stretch, check pump station, read the display/follow directions/insert card---select fuel and then pump fuel

“There are no legal requirements for fuel nozzle colors. Today, diesel fuel is dispensed through nozzles that may be green, black, yellow or any other color the retailer desires.”

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I was with someone who rented a Ford Focus diesel in London. He accidentally filled the tank with gasoline. After a few miles it started knocking really bad. We tried to get a service shop to empty the tank but it turned out to be a huge job. We opted instead to keep driving slowly and keep adding diesel every quarter tank or so. Eventually the knocking went away and the car returned to normal operation. There was no noticeable damage.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-24-2021, 05:27 PM   #42

Quote:
I do understand your frustration..... but the word DIESEL is usually pretty big on the pump.

My biggest concern is trying to find DIESEL that is B5 or less..... very hard to do sometimes.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote