Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 11,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbuddy46 View Post
Well , it started right up this morning, we’ve drove to Appleton wi, there’s a MB dealer here, going to give them a call in morning, not sure if I can get in, did drive another 225 miles today with no issues, I did not try to start it after I turned off. Still stopped every 75 miles to top off with fresh gas.
Any good news yet?
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
It's so weird being the same age as old people.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: South of Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Drive it…..no harm no foul. Add a couple quarts ATF to fuel tank for added lubricity if all the gasoline was not drained. Filters will not be harmed.

Diesel nozzles at the pump island should be green in color.
The vehicle should not have been started, It should have been pushed away from the pump and the tank siphoned empty and filled with fresh diesel. Too late for that, filters should be changed, cross your fingers.

As for green color statement, no, there is NO standard in the industry. BP uses GREEN for GASOLINE and BLACK for DIESEL

As someone noted, some places use Yellow nozzle jackets. I have had a Sprinter motorhome (sold) and now a RAM Cummins truck. I pull up to the pump, get out look at the pump, say outloud "diesel", look at the truck and say "diesel", and do a quick sniff test of the nozzle, then I proceed to pump fuel. If you don't drive it all the time, you gotta be careful.

Long Long Honeymoon video of their own experience with this.
https://youtu.be/cBkQPZZFWhs

Charles
__________________
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Winterbagoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sarnialabad, Peoples Republik of Canuckistan
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Drive it…..no harm no foul. Add a couple quarts ATF to fuel tank for added lubricity if all the gasoline was not drained. Filters will not be harmed.

Diesel nozzles at the pump island should be green in color.
Should and are, can be 2 different things.
For example....
https://www.google.com/search?q=husk...Yy7muL0sGMEheM
__________________
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????) - 2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles) - 2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Well, diesel is heavier than gasoline, so the gas could still be in your tank as it has floated to the top.


Could you let it sit for a day or so to let the gas percolate to the top of the tank and then put a hose down the filler tube and try to siphon out the top half or quarter of your tank? Don't have any idea if this would work, but it's a suggestion...
Greetings fellow Via owner! See below.
It won't.

Will diesel and gasoline separate?

Richard Neal
former Fleet Mechanic -Explosive Ordnance Tech -Machinist at Lockheed Martin (1986-2016)

NO. Diesel fuel and gasoline are each a blend of hydrocarbon compounds derived from petroleum crude oil. If these compounds are mixed, they will remain mixed and will not separate unless they are subjected to a distillation process (heating and condensing the vapors at the appropriate temperatures).
__________________
Brian, 2011 Winnebago Via Class A on Sprinter Chassis
Tucson, AZ
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Greetings fellow Via owner! See below.
It won't.

Will diesel and gasoline separate?

Richard Neal
former Fleet Mechanic -Explosive Ordnance Tech -Machinist at Lockheed Martin (1986-2016)

NO. Diesel fuel and gasoline are each a blend of hydrocarbon compounds derived from petroleum crude oil. If these compounds are mixed, they will remain mixed and will not separate unless they are subjected to a distillation process (heating and condensing the vapors at the appropriate temperatures).
Explains why in the 70's the manufacture recommended adding a small amount of gasoline in winter. It was so long ago I don't remember the ratio.
__________________
Bylandorsea
On land:2019 Dutch Star 4326 Spartan K2 Chassis Cummins ISL9
AA Li batteries in my flash light
Bylandorsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:15 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
f14av8r's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa Area (sometimes!)
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Across the country we have found a few places that have yellow diesel pump handles. You still have to be careful as green is not ALWAYS diesel.

Ken
I refuse to fuel at ANY BP Station because everything is GREEN. It's a serious hazard. I sent them several feedback / comment forms and never got a reply. Green should be for DIESEL only!
__________________
Randy and Tina & pups: Cinnamon & Cookie (RIP Coco )
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer RW
Mercedes Benz 2019 Sprinter Chassis
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Mr.Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CA and TN
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I refuse to fuel at ANY BP Station because everything is GREEN. It's a serious hazard. I sent them several feedback / comment forms and never got a reply. Green should be for DIESEL only!

ALWAYS look for the word 'DIESEL' and you will be good to go.

I never think about color as it can vary, I look for DIESEL!

Good luck, safe travels,
Mark
__________________
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B Sprinter (bought May '21)
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr. 6-speed manual (toad)
(Sold)2015 Prevost Liberty Coach,(Sold)2008 Monaco Dynasty
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
f14av8r's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa Area (sometimes!)
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
ALWAYS look for the word 'DIESEL' and you will be good to go.

I never think about color as it can vary, I look for DIESEL!

Good luck, safe travels,
Mark
My beef with BP is that it DOES NOT VARY, except at BP. Green is diesel at EVERY other vendor. BP needs to get on board with the defacto standard and quit putting consumers at risk. Frankly, I think a class action lawsuit may be in their future.
__________________
Randy and Tina & pups: Cinnamon & Cookie (RIP Coco )
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer RW
Mercedes Benz 2019 Sprinter Chassis
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
My beef with BP is that it DOES NOT VARY, except at BP. Green is diesel at EVERY other vendor. BP needs to get on board with the defacto standard and quit putting consumers at risk. Frankly, I think a class action lawsuit may be in their future.
Yeah, good luck with that !
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
dbircky's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
My beef with BP is that it DOES NOT VARY, except at BP. Green is diesel at EVERY other vendor. BP needs to get on board with the defacto standard and quit putting consumers at risk. Frankly, I think a class action lawsuit may be in their future.


Strange, I’ve seen diesel with blue, black or yellow handles at places other than BP. Yellow is usually the color for diesel cans too. Our diesel transfer tanks have red handles. Not sure what the basis for a class action lawsuit would be. But anyone can file a lawsuit for just about anything including their own negligence. If someone can’t tell the difference by sight and smell of diesel versus gasoline, I’d wonder about their diminishing capacities to be operating equipment.
__________________
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2011 JK
dbircky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,030
I was with someone who rented a Ford Focus diesel in London. He accidentally filled the tank with gasoline. After a few miles it started knocking really bad. We tried to get a service shop to empty the tank but it turned out to be a huge job. We opted instead to keep driving slowly and keep adding diesel every quarter tank or so. Eventually the knocking went away and the car returned to normal operation. There was no noticeable damage.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 18,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Strange, I’ve seen diesel with blue, black or yellow handles at places other than BP. Yellow is usually the color for diesel cans too. Our diesel transfer tanks have red handles. Not sure what the basis for a class action lawsuit would be. But anyone can file a lawsuit for just about anything including their own negligence. If someone can’t tell the difference by sight and smell of diesel versus gasoline, I’d wonder about their diminishing capacities to be operating equipment.
YEP........
Seen all colors used for pump nozzles Gas and Diesel

When pumping fuel I am NOT in a hurry...time to stretch, check pump station, read the display/follow directions/insert card---select fuel and then pump fuel


“There are no legal requirements for fuel nozzle colors. Today, diesel fuel is dispensed through nozzles that may be green, black, yellow or any other color the retailer desires.”


__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
777 Driver's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I was with someone who rented a Ford Focus diesel in London. He accidentally filled the tank with gasoline. After a few miles it started knocking really bad. We tried to get a service shop to empty the tank but it turned out to be a huge job. We opted instead to keep driving slowly and keep adding diesel every quarter tank or so. Eventually the knocking went away and the car returned to normal operation. There was no noticeable damage.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Take care,
Stu
__________________
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned."
2018 Anthem 42DEQ
777 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Mr.Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CA and TN
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
My beef with BP is that it DOES NOT VARY, except at BP. Green is diesel at EVERY other vendor. BP needs to get on board with the defacto standard and quit putting consumers at risk. Frankly, I think a class action lawsuit may be in their future.
I do understand your frustration..... but the word DIESEL is usually pretty big on the pump.

My biggest concern is trying to find DIESEL that is B5 or less..... very hard to do sometimes.

Safe travels,
Mark
__________________
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B Sprinter (bought May '21)
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr. 6-speed manual (toad)
(Sold)2015 Prevost Liberty Coach,(Sold)2008 Monaco Dynasty
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Storing Generator w/gas in & Gas Canister with gas in Pick Up Bed under Tonneau Cover dexters Gear and Product Discussions 2 07-04-2018 02:27 PM
Gas Class A's with Tows - where do you gas up? geekyexplore iRV2.com General Discussion 23 08-03-2011 09:31 AM
LP gas detector and gas stove kartvines RV Systems & Appliances 4 01-24-2011 07:03 AM
gas to electric/gas furnace-'99 Pace Arrow Larry & Rita Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 11-08-2010 06:33 PM
Closed Gas Stations and gas increase of $1/gal? araucano iRV2.com General Discussion 8 10-01-2008 04:43 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.