Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 05:44 AM   #1

Gas in diesel

Well, were on vacation and I stupidly put regular gas in my Mb sprinter, about a half a tank. After about 9 miles it quit on me, had it towed to a diesel repair shop, they siphoned out about 3/4 of the tank and replaced with diesel fuel and an additive. The closest MB dealer is 243 miles away, we drove to a Walmart afterward and it seemed to run fine, am Im safe driving it.
Smbuddy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 05:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbuddy46 View Post
Well, were on vacation and I stupidly put regular gas in my Mb sprinter, about a half a tank. After about 9 miles it quit on me, had it towed to a diesel repair shop, they siphoned out about 3/4 of the tank and replaced with diesel fuel and an additive. The closest MB dealer is 243 miles away, we drove to a Walmart afterward and it seemed to run fine, am Im safe driving it.
Maybe. The tank should have been dropped and completely emptied and the fuel filters replaced.

Regardless, if it is working I would still consider replacing the fuel filters at least once or twice but that is just me.

Safe travels
Old 09-25-2021, 06:03 AM   #3

Sorry to hear that this happened. Just wondering, do you have the DEF system on your Sprinter?

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:02 AM   #4

Call the closest MB Sprinter dealer and ask them what they recommend. Are you still under 1 year ownership? They may be able to have you towed there at a much reduced fee, or for free.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
My wife did this once in her diesel powered MB sedan. Had it towed to the MB dealer and $3000 later it was running fine.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:19 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just an FYI:

If you mis-fuel a Ford 6.7 diesel, the cost is around $12,000. Not sure if the MB has the same high pressure fuel system. NOT covered under Ford warranty. Considered operator error and abuse.

All fuel system, HP fuel pump and injectors with the fuel rails are replaced.

I would be wary of it's running fine. I agree that the system should have been completely drained. Fuel filters and blowout of the lines, removed and replace the injectors. Not even sure what damage has been done to the DPF....Gasoline is a terrible lubricant in a diesel. You had a 50% mixture. Maybe it will survive. Keep your eye out for check engine light and computer throwing codes.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #7
Epp

You did not mention how much gas you filled up with. Were you at half a tank when you filled, a quarter of a tank when you filled?
If you filled at 1/2 a tank, drained to a 1/4, refilled with diesel, that puts you at ~12.5 % gas to diesel now. You said they put an additive in but you did not mention what type of additive was it a cetane boost or lubrication boost.

I seem to remember that back in the 70s or 80s you would add gas to your diesel tank to prevent it from gelling in freezing weather. Maybe the higher sulfur diesel back then had more lubricity so it could tolerate it better or maybe fuel delivery systems were more tolerant of it. Maybe I am misremembering this.

Please note: I am not recommending adding gas to diesel as an anti-Gel.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drive it…..no harm no foul. Add a couple quarts ATF to fuel tank for added lubricity if all the gasoline was not drained. Filters will not be harmed.

Diesel nozzles at the pump island should be green in color.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Drive it..no harm no foul. Add a couple quarts ATF to fuel tank for added lubricity if all the gasoline was not drained. Filters will not be harmed.

Diesel nozzles at the pump island should be green in color.
Across the country we have found a few places that have yellow diesel pump handles. You still have to be careful as green is not ALWAYS diesel.

Ken
Old 09-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #10

Drive it and keep an eye on your engine temperature gage. If you start to heat up (above normal) stop and stay on idle until you bring the temp to normal. I would also stop every hundred or so miles to top off with diesel.

Looking at the ratio of possible gas to known diesel - You are fine!

Bill
03 American Tradition
bneiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Across the country we have found a few places that have yellow diesel pump handles. You still have to be careful as green is not ALWAYS diesel.

Ken

Im always miffed that red for gas/green for diesel is the defacto standard for pricing signs-except for BP, which uses green for both
Mel556180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
In Canada, I've seen green, yellow, black, and even red. Don't assume the colors are accurate, anywhere.
I check where the pump hose terminates on the pump, and look for spillage under the nozzle holster on the pump. Diesel is usually a lot messier and leaves greasy stains on the concrete/asphalt. If you can, check the nozzle for drippage from a prior fueler. Should be thicker, like honey.
Any doubt? Go without.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #13

I will side with those who suggest you drive it, monitor it carefully, and frequently add fresh diesel. It is important to decrease the gasoline ratio as soon as possible.

Your biggest issue will be excessive wear damage from the brief lack of lubricity of the diluted diesel. Fortunately, that was only for nine miles, but the engine did shut down. It would be interesting to know the code, if any, that was thrown during the shutdown.

Gasoline also lowers the flash point of diesel, meaning the fuel will ignite sooner and than expected. This can cause irregular combustion, strong "explosions" withing the cylinders that damage components, and excessive soot. The computer will try to compensate for the changes in fuel ignition and that may be the reason for the shutdown.

Taking it to a MB service will almost guarantee a large repair bill, simply because they will remove and replace all components that could possibly have been impacted by the incident. The engine will be repaired and you will have peace of mind, but it will be at a cost.

You should soon know if any emission components have been compromised as codes will be flashed.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #14

Gas in diesel

Well, the van started fine this morning, drove about 175 miles today , ran as normal topped off fuel every 75 miles or about 5 gallons, the only issue Ive encountered is that it struggles to start after turning off. I called a friend of my back home who owns a diesel repair company, i added the power source diesel fuel additive when fueling , double the recommended amount, he thought Id be fine, i guss well see, the trouble with starting is worrying me.
Smbuddy46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas