Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #1

Hellwig Sway Bar, Fox Shocks, Rear Leaf springs

We recently purchased a 2021 Wayfarer 25RW on a 2020 Sprinter Chassis. Would appreciate any information related to replacing Sway Bars, Shocks or Rear Leaf Springs to remove some of the sway. We will be heading to the Amana Rally in June and I assume there will be vendors there who may offer some of these additions. Would like to hear about any experiences after you made changes and what changes were and how they affected your ride.

Thanks
dbtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 06:17 PM   #2

Many conversations about all of the items you are talking about. Go to search and put in your request. You will find dozens of articles on shocks, sway bar etc. I did mine and no regrets...made a big difference.
Hennessy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:15 PM   #3

The Wayfarer is heavy. My View G is also heavy due to adding HWH levelers, Travler Sat dish.
I did Fox. Heavy sumo in the rear, Hellwig Sway bar, the front got the light Sumo. Alinement at a Mercedes Dealer along with Michelin tires have helped, my 15 did not have wind assist but my dealer added it and it helps in heavy wind.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #4

Hellwig upsized sway bar is a common improvement. I wouldn't change out the leaf springs, but I would consider adding Sumos in the rear and/or front. Don't know about new shocks, as I've only done cursory searches on them.

I did add a Kelderman air suspension upgrade to the rear, which removes the OEM shackles and mounts and puts a mechanism with one double-convoluted type air bag on each side (like two bagels stacked together). Still have to do something about that side-to-side rocking, though, which is mostly about the sway bar.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtravels View Post
We recently purchased a 2021 Wayfarer 25RW on a 2020 Sprinter Chassis. Would appreciate any information related to replacing Sway Bars, Shocks or Rear Leaf Springs to remove some of the sway. We will be heading to the Amana Rally in June and I assume there will be vendors there who may offer some of these additions. Would like to hear about any experiences after you made changes and what changes were and how they affected your ride.

Thanks
Adding the Helwig sway bar to pre-2019 (2019 and earlier Wayfarers) seems to help a lot. But, the sway bar on the 2019+ chassis (2020 and later Wayfarers) is already an upgraded, beefier bar so it won't make much, if any difference. You already have Sumo springs (actually stroke limiters) but you might consider going to the heavier duty ones, at least in the rear.

I've heard some mixed reviews on shock replacement but using some "stiffer" shocks would seem to be the most appropriate change to limit the gas station/ shopping center body roll.

It seems to me that many people, having spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on suspension changes tend to over-hype the improvements. It's human nature I guess. I followed a guy out of a rally early last year that sprang for shocks, sumos, and a new sway bar on a 2020RW. It looked to me like his rolled just as much as my stock unit as we moved along the bumpy and uneven exit path.
f14av8r is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear, shocks, sway bar