Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Help us find the right MB chassis motorhome

As the title suggests, we have decided that we would like to downsize from the motorhome in our signature to a Mercedes chassis motorhome.

We had actually decided on the Forest River Sunseeker 2004R. We like the look. We like the floorplan. We like the storage. We like the price. We came very close to actually buying.

There is no inverter. Wait. NO INVERTER!?

We learned that the water,black and grey holding tanks are not in an enclosed heated bay. The tanks are hanging in the open with a 12V heating pad under them.

So, especially for our part of the world, the holding tank situation is a real deal breaker and a very big disappointment.

Does anybody own or know of a brand of motorhome on the Mercedes chassis that has the holding tanks in an enclosed heated water bay?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I doubt that anyone does this. There is simply no space for a heated bay on that chasis.

We had the Solera 24S (now called Sunseeker) and installing an inverter was easy...

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #3

If you are in Manitoba, Canada why not make a visit to the Leisure Travel Van Triple E factory located in the city of Winkler, Manitoba, Canada ? You can ask all the questions you may have -- plus you can take a factory tour. They are great people and they manufacture quality units.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
My Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST has the black and grey tanks in an enclosed and heated compartment. A separate duct from the propane heater goes into that compartment and the plumbing chase. The other models of the Siesta Sprinter have an option of electric heating pads for the tanks, so you need to check the specs. My Fresh water tank is under the bed, also enclosed and heated.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Hooligan. We'll check out the Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST and see if it will suit us.

Jim
Old 06-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Jim: The coldest my rig experienced was 3 nights at 20 degrees in the Carolinas. Not winterized and had no problems, Your winters may top that, eh.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hooligan. Thanks, eh?

That tells me exactly what I need to know. Your rig would be just fine for us.

I assume your coach has the two single beds because that's how it had to be set up to hold the holding tanks under the beds?

Jim
Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

FWIW You may also have a problem with enough battery to use much of an inverter. A lot of us have a 12 V TV and no inverter as there is no reason to need one. Our heating pads are 120 VAC so pretty much useless for boondocking unless I want to run the generator.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
The fresh water tank is under the passenger side Twin bed, the Black and grey tanks are in enclosed compartment, a duct from the propane furnace goes under the toilet platform and down into that compartment. Heats the plumbing and the holding tanks.
Another duct runs behind and alongside the fresh water tank along with the water lines to the sink, goes forward under the fridge and sink with an outlet by the step well in the cabin.
There is no inverter.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Hooligan.

That sounds like a very well thought out design.

Jim

Tags
chassis, motorhome