Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #1

If you don't carry a spare ?

Do you still carry a bottle jack ? I don't and wanted to see other opinions. I would like to carry a spare but it not going to happen, so do i need the jack?
Playinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #2

I do not carry a spare but I do carry a bottle jack. I have never used it on the MH, I kinda carry it because I have it. I believe it is better to have and not need rather than need and not have.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Playinthru,

You didn't mention what kind of rig you have so it's hard to give an opinion. I have a 35' class a and carry a mounted spare in a dedicated compartment. We also have a road side assistance plan as well and would have to use both in the event we needed the spare. Again, without being specific about the rig it's hard to give advice but I think in any case I would not try to use a bottle jack- the foot print is very small.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I carry a ERS card with a 800 number to call for any flats.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A spare tire is standard on Sprinter chassis. Does your Platinum XL not have a spare? My Navion sure has one.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I have a 20 ton jack, torque multiplier, tire irons and a compressor. I recently hung an unmounted spare under the back, between the frame extensions. We spend a lot of time in areas with no cell service and fairly remote, so even though I have Good Sam road service, it would be useless. I am capable of re and re of the wheel, and would change the tire if I had to, but it's like insurance, you have it, but hope to never use it. Great to have if and when you do need it.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
My concern would be, If you're out where no service is avail and you decided to change a tire with tire irons what do you do if injury occurs. Tire mounting is a dangerous feat even for the guys that do it for a living. Just my thoughts.
porchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchracer View Post
My concern would be, If you're out where no service is avail and you decided to change a tire with tire irons what do you do if injury occurs. Tire mounting is a dangerous feat even for the guys that do it for a living. Just my thoughts.
My wife is a nurse in the operating room, so got that covered!
Actually, I have changed tires before, started in 1971, so got a little practice under my belt. Chain wrapped around the tire, through the center and be sure the tire is centered on the rim.
Just hope I don't need a blast can, that's when the starting fluid comes out!!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
A spare tire is standard on Sprinter chassis. Does your Platinum XL not have a spare? My Navion sure has one.
No spare on my Coach House. Obviously a weight issue for CH and now for me!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #10

Commercial Member

Carry spare video

is a YouTube on the topic.

Note the blog address ends .NET not .COM
Old 10-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
playinthru.....I am a dunce about class B, B+.....but I would recommend you do carry a mounted spare. What would it weigh...50 lbs ? You are at the mercy of a repair shop to find a spare on a weekend or holiday...at a fair price....and get the tech out to you.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #12

No spare here is why.

Class C or B/B+

I have Borg metal valve stems, TMS, Tire Monitor System (Tire Minder). Monitors pressure and temperature on up to 18 wheels.

I also carry a tire plug kit, I have used it in the past with great results.
If you do plug a tire consider it a a temporary fix, at your first opportunity have it patched permanently.

Do you have dual rear wheels? Carry a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts the wrench in the kit will break them free if you a really big guy.

You actually have spares, two. Worst case would be front flat because you will need to jack the vehicle twice. If you were to end up on one tire in the rear I consider this limp mode; drive at a slow speed (20 - 25 mph) to the nearest repair facility monitoring tire temperature and pressure. It may still ruin the tire you are running on but should get you out do a tight spot.

Would I carry a spare yes, if I could reasonably store it. But on the Unity TB under storage is not an option. Could be on a hitch mount ($300-500) plus tire & rim approximately 85 lb., could be stored under the one bed, it will fit.

My 2 cents
Old 10-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #13

Thank you S Bradley,
Yes i do have 2 spares and didn't even think of that. Wow! I will be bringing along the jack, but hopefully not use it. Short distance, and at a slow speed i could use one of the rears for a front flat in an "emergency situation".Thanks everyone for understanding my lack of experience.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #14

If I ever have a flat I will call a tire service. I will buy whatever tire they have. When I can I will have GCR tire order me a tire to match the other 5. I will then use the tire provided by the tire service as a unmounted spare, I have a space to store it. If I am in an area where I do not have cell service my 2015 Colorado has a 450 mile range to take me to where I will have service. That is my plan. I am not out any money before the event and I am not carrying any unnecessary weight.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote