Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Lithium battery isolation

For those who are adding litium batteries, here is my solution to the charging from alternator issues. This little gem is supposed to charge the litium coach batteries without burning up the alternator. And as a bonus it charges the chassis AGM battery when the coach battery is charging to keep the starting battery from slowly going dead when parked on shore power. I only added the large red wire to jumper the chassis connection, a 12 ga wire to the connection under the drivers seat for the ignition wire. and a short ground wire. I did it this way so it is easily reversible if there are problems at a later date. Seems to be working as it should. I will know more in a few days when I check the status of the starting battery (see if any voltage loss).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_105709.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	320696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lithium-BIM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	320697  

Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2021, 05:11 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced the Cole Hersey solenoid with the same device. It works well. Note that the instructions provided are not accurate regarding the momentary switch actions. Here's the real logic:
- Press the switch once and let it go - the LiBIM will connect for 15 seconds and then disconnect.
- Press the switch three (3) times quickly - the LiBIM will connect for 10 minutes and then disconnect.
- Press and HOLD the switch for more than 15 seconds - the LiBIM will disconnect when you let go of the switch.

The published automatic connection logic is accurate. You can hear a loud click when the LiBIM connects. If you have voltmeters for your house and chassis batteries, you can easily confirm the operation as it connects and disconnects.

You might consider fusing (250 amp) the connection between the LiBIM and the chassis battery.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. Could you post the name of the product or a link? Thanks!
MyUrchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #4

Bear in mind. a LI-BIM as shown will disconnect house battery from alternator for a period to allow alternator to cool. But when connected, can supply up to either 160 amps or 225 amps to your lithium batteries if they will take it. Unlike lead acid batteries, they will take a massive charge until full. Most lithiums require 14.4+ volts to charge to 100%, something you will not get from the alternator once start battery is full. http://precisioncircuitsinc.com/wp-c...i-BIM-Rev1.pdf

Many today are using DC-DC chargers which limit amps, and supply proper voltage to fully charge house batteries.
https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-...ers/orion-tr-s
Old 03-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Bear in mind. a LI-BIM as shown will disconnect house battery from alternator for a period to allow alternator to cool. But when connected, can supply up to either 160 amps or 225 amps to your lithium batteries if they will take it. Unlike lead acid batteries, they will take a massive charge until full. Most lithiums require 14.4+ volts to charge to 100%, something you will not get from the alternator once start battery is full. http://precisioncircuitsinc.com/wp-c...i-BIM-Rev1.pdf

Many today are using DC-DC chargers which limit amps, and supply proper voltage to fully charge house batteries.
https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-...ers/orion-tr-s
Yes..... a much better solution and pretty comparable in price
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Update

I’ve had this installed for a few weeks now and here are a few observations. #1 It does seem to keep the chassis battery charged while parked. My chassis battery has been at peak power since installing. We were camped for 5 days on shore power just last week. #2 Yesterday it popped my main fuse (60amp) on the coach line. I had this in place before the LI-BIM install after I installed the lithium batteries. Fuse is in the rear wheel well just after my new battery switch. I chose 60 amps as that was the total I thought the system could handle the way it works on the ERA. Power goes from the battery to the solenoids under passenger seat then through the 40 amp breaker on the side of the passenger seat back to the main distribution panel in driver side wheel well behind the microwave/furnace on the 70X. I’m not sure what caused it to blow as I was parked in the driveway plugged into 20 amp from the house. I did start the Sprinter to drive up on blocks to replace the hose on the macerater pump before that. I had the heat on as it was getting below freezing here last night. I drained the tanks but didn’t fully winterize. After replacing the fuse it worked fine all night. I think I may install another circuit breaker next to the LI-BIM just to be safe, but you would have to remove the seat to reset it. I need to look at alternative breakers to make it accessible.
Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:01 AM   #7

I did the same thing even went as far as to take it apart just to see how it works.

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, lithium