Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Maserator pump hose

Replaced the hose on the macerator pump on our 2015 ERA 170X yesterday. I thought it might take an hour or so. Ha, turned into an all day job. I even had to get a neighbor to help. First you have to jack the beast up to crawl underneath. Then there is a cover over the pump with 7 small screws to remove. Cut the zip ties on the brace/guard. So far so good. Now its getting harder. To get the old hose off I had to split it for about an inch where it slides on the barbed fitting of the pump with a sharp chisel and wire cutters. It is really on there and not much room to twist or pull but it finally came off. Now the new hose. Who ever designed this setup was crazy. Why put a 90 degree bend in such a tight space! With the stiffness of the hose and the confined space it is almost impossible to get the new hose on. Donít try heating it as that just softens the hose and it kinks. Not good for free flow of the contents of the black tank. I tried it and ended up cutting off a few inches to get it round again. This is where I called the neighbor over. We both tried to push the hose on to no avail. We took the pump mounting screws out next, thinking that may give us some maneuvering room. Turns out you canít move the pump much anyway unless you remove the hose to the valves. The hose still didnít want to go on. Finally I took a drill with a rasp like bit and reamed out the inside of the end of the hose for about an inch to allow it to slip on easier. A little grease on the barbed fitting helped too. Finally got it on far enough to put the clamp on. We were both wore out pushing and twisting by this time. Put pump screws back on. Be careful not to over tighten as they are in rubber mounts and you can pull the screw heads right through the grommets. Donít ask how I know that. Tested for leaks at this point so you donít have to take it apart if it leaks. Reinstall the cover, put on the zip ties and take it off the jack stands. I found the hose on Amazon after checking 2 RV places, Walmart and two lumber yards. I bought the only one I found for $65. With Prime it showed up the next day so at least that was good. It was a 20 ft hose that is clear with blue spiral stiffener with a valve and sewer caps included. I did have to cut off the fitting on the other end as my pump just had the barb and clamp connection. The reason I replaced it was because it cracked and started leaking near the valve. Turns out it was ready to crack everywhere. I was just in time to prevent a major problem. I guess these hoses only have about a 5 year life span. If you have the 1Ē ID hose with the slinky like stiffener you may want to replace it at home rather then in a campground while on the road. I also picked up a splice piece and 2 hose clamps at the lumber yard for $3 to keep in my spare parts bin just in case I have to make an emergency repair sometime. Just another day in the life of an RVer.
Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
hose, pump