Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
pk1

MB Emissions Recall

We had the recall performed today. The van shifts very hard now from first to second gear. Has anyone else experienced this?
pk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 06:10 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You have a Mercedes van with a standard transmission?
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:45 AM   #3
pk1

Freightliner/Mercedes with standard automatic transmission, 2010 Roadtrek Agile
pk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry about that, I guess that I have a problem with generation gap. I thought a "standard".transmission was one with a gearshift, a first, a second, a third forward gear and a reverse and most importantly a clutch. As opposed to an "automatic" which has a shift lever or buttons or dial and which has no clutch but changes gears automatically, no shifting required of the driver.
PS: I also have trouble with the drivers ed folks now teaching new drivers to break with their left foot.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
That is brake, not break.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #6

DEF Fill Cap

Had the recall performed.

Probably unrelated but the fill cap for the DEF reservoir is apparently blowing def as it is crystalized around the cap. The dealer indicated that it was not touched during the recall repair. It has been cleaned and tightened only to repeat each time driven.

Image attached (hopefully)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2388.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	338383  
rr2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #7

check engine light on, no scan codes come up

I recently had the MB emissions recall done. Now my check engine light is on. I tried two different OBD scanners and neither one shows a fault code. Engine runs fine. Has anyone had this problem?
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Taking mine in on 9/17 for three outstanding ones. I probably get notices once a week. Talk about wasting paper!

That DEF cap issue looks bad. Keep us posted on what you find out as these systems are so finicky and can cause problems at a moments notice and without warning.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
We had the recall performed today. The van shifts very hard now from first to second gear. Has anyone else experienced this?
Give the computer a chance to relearn the vehicle and driving techniques. These are adaptive systems and the reprogramming is like resetting your phone, you lose everything. Take it out for several long drives, it will probably get better. Personally I prefer a firm shift, its easier on the clutches than a slow, smooth shift.

Charles
Old 08-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #10

Let the MB dealer or service center know about the hard shift issue and get their advice. Better to go to the source. I had the recall completed and didn’t have this issue.

Mike 2017 NV OR
Old 08-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #11

Yes, I had mine done and find that the transmission hangs in lower gears for a much longer period of time when starting off from a stop. My theory is that the re-tuning of the ECU to meet the required emissions standard reduced power when trying to get up to speed. Therefore, Mercedes also retuned the transmission so that by keeping it in lower gear, you can get up to speed faster.

I used to shift out of first around 3200 to 3400 RPM. Now it is about 3700 to 3900 RPM for a normal take off from a traffic signal. Normal meaning that I am not significantly holding traffic up. Anything in the upper 3000 RPM range is fairly noisy.

Overall, I am seeing about 1 to 1.5 MPG loss and supposedly I will be using more DEF, but it hasn't been long enough for me to make a determination of how much more.

I follow some other forums on this subject and hear different experiences. Some are reporting over 2 MPG loss and others, no noticeable loss in both MPG or power. I suppose a lot depends on the year and condition of the engine.

Overall I am not very pleased, and I'm still waiting for my $3000 compensation for getting the work done.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #12

2500 mile trip after def system recall service. Cannot tell but more def is being used__4 Mercedez def bottles on trip at 2000 miles.
Where is the $3500?
eestork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:42 AM   #13

October 2022 is the projected settlement.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:57 AM   #14

The settlement agreement was approved by the court back in July. I called the settlement administrator and they said checks were going out but they had no further information and could not tell me when I would get mine.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mb emissions recal