Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #1

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
MB Sprinter Improvement recommendations

We have a 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24L sprinter and currently are making our first long journey. We are on our 4th week and have another week to go.

After setting up and tearing down we've realized several issues that could use some inputs from other users on possible improvements.

1) The Sprinter rides high in the back. Consequently, when setting up for the night adding leveling pads under the front wheels is necessary to keep from rolling out of bed. Are there any rear airbag suspension upgrades, with adjustable pressure, available? In this case we need to be able to lower, not raise, the coach.

2) Cross winds are a royal pain, literally. We drove hundreds of miles with stiff crosswinds. At times, the steering wheel was turned 90 degrees. The amount of effort to hold the steering wheel became very taxing. Is there any front end alignment, or accessory, that would increase the power assist to reduce the effort?

3) The window washers sprays are mounted on the wiper arms. First time I used it the wiper sprayed off the left side. Has anybody mounted these sprayers on the hood cowling so they spray onto the window?

So far, we are enjoying the ride and will likely learn to live with these small issues but my urge to tinker will probably get the better of it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve (currently in West Yellowstone)
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Winn View. I installed the Sumo springs all around and that helped with the rocking going in and out of fuel stations. In addition it did help with the rocking in high winds and passing trucks.

I know others have installd anti sway bars (heliwig), perhaps they will add some info here for you.

As far as your unit riding high, mine does not. I have HWH levelers and have no problem being out of level unless the ground is really bad, then I move.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

Steve,

See my other postings to improve rideability. I installed new koni shocks and bigger sway bar. It helped with crosswing and swaying.
ctarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #4

Like the others in this post, we Sumo springs, larger sway bar and it helped with the issues you are having. Well worth the money.

Enjoy
Hennessy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctarmor View Post
Steve,

See my other postings to improve rideability. I installed new koni shocks and bigger sway bar. It helped with crosswing and swaying.
Here is the link:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376895
ctarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:54 AM   #6

As others have mentioned, the two most effective chassis upgrades I would do now are install a Helwig sway bar and rear SumoSprings. The shocks can come later if you think they are needed. Forget the airbag revelers. Not needed on these rigs.

Don't know why your rig rides higher in the rear. Never heard that as an issue before but Melbourne owners are joining this forum, so that will get discussed in time, I'm sure.

Those windshield washers are kind of a pain, but easy to get at when blowing out a clog.

Welcome to the forum! Tons of good information here from some really good folks.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:03 AM   #7

I used cable ties to secure my washer nozzles and hoses to the wiper arms.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

I recently purchased a new leftover 2017 Melbourne 24K and it sits/rides perfectly level...... you must have the "drag racing" version... ;-)
DRW55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
We have a 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24L sprinter and currently are making our first long journey. We are on our 4th week and have another week to go.

After setting up and tearing down we've realized several issues that could use some inputs from other users on possible improvements.

1) The Sprinter rides high in the back. Consequently, when setting up for the night adding leveling pads under the front wheels is necessary to keep from rolling out of bed. Are there any rear airbag suspension upgrades, with adjustable pressure, available? In this case we need to be able to lower, not raise, the coach.
It shouldn't be although it might look like it is. Can you confirm it with a level?

2) Cross winds are a royal pain, literally. We drove hundreds of miles with stiff crosswinds. At times, the steering wheel was turned 90 degrees. The amount of effort to hold the steering wheel became very taxing. Is there any front end alignment, or accessory, that would increase the power assist to reduce the effort?
If the winds were that high, why were you even driving in it?
Slow down and/or get off the road when faced with high winds.

3) The window washers sprays are mounted on the wiper arms. First time I used it the wiper sprayed off the left side. Has anybody mounted these sprayers on the hood cowling so they spray onto the window?
Strange. Never had a problem with my Navion. It won't spray off the left side when it moves back across the windshield so hold it down longer.

So far, we are enjoying the ride and will likely learn to live with these small issues but my urge to tinker will probably get the better of it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve (currently in West Yellowstone)
Some things you might consider for your "tinkering" is to add or upgrade the solar system, upgrade the house batteries to 6V golf cart batteries, add a Tric-L-Start to keep your chassis battery charged, and so on.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #10

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Hi All,
The elevated rear is significant enough that sitting here I can see the coffee maker and the coffee is not level in the pot. I can place a water bottle on the floor and it rolls to the cab. We used three leveling blocks, about 3 inches, to bring up the front end so we would not be as slanted. The springs and sway bar appear to be stiff enough but I have nothing to compare them to, hence the comments from me. Perhaps air shocks in the front would allow a lift action to raise the coach to level. I'll try to get a cross view photo posted from a level parking lot.

Cross winds are to be expected so it becomes just managing the effort. Many years ago we realize that wind is part of the journey, however, going across Texas means many hours of steady side push that required a heavy pull on the wheel. Very fatiguing. We are currently in Wyoming and the winds are erratic and slowing down for safety is the only solution.

The wiper washer has a nozzle that sprays in two directions at once. One nozzle sprays out the end and two nozzles sprays left when the wiper is up and moving across. I think a fixed nozzle, from below the windshield, would allow the washer to cover the glass better and would allow applying cleaner in front of the moving blades. Besides, the nozzle is located in the middle of the wiper arm which means the cleaner sprays only on the upper side of the blade. That my friends is how I broke the first nozzle attachment. Now comes a fix. Any thoughts?
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:01 AM   #11

We have a Pleasure-Way XLMB.
It is lower in the front also.
Since the Murphy bed sleeps for and aft, switched our feet to the front.
Since we are always on the move it is too much trouble to use the leveling blocks.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #12

The new Sprinter based rigs appear to ride high in the rear. Our new V24D is definitely riding high in the rear and according to several shop videos that is the desired design. This mandates leveling blocks for the front wheels or HWH. Our rig came with the stabilizer jacks in the rear so it means legos under the front wheels always.

There are tons of mods you can do. Start with a Trik-L-Start, add a PI EMS to protect electrical. Solar and battery improvements are usually necessary (at least in a View). Drive the rig for about 10k miles before doing suspension mods. The wind is the wind, you can't stop it, just park when it is too much and wait for it to slack off. We purchased a ShadePro cover for the windshield and door windows, it wraps around, held on with magnets. Blocks the sun about 94% and provides privacy during the day. We added heat reflective film to the house windows as well, thinking about ceramic nano clear for the windshield and door windows also.
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #13

Has anyone installed Blue OX TruCenter steering control on the sprinter. I have a Renagade Vienna 2019 with 2017 chassis. Kind of expensive. THANKS Dugan38.
Dugan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Dugan38,

Blue Ox discontinued the TruCenter this year. Not sure it would fit a Sprinter chassis anyway.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote