Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mercedes-Benz Forced to stop Saying Sprinter VAN

Posted in the NEWS; JALOPNIK
Mercedes-Benz Forced to Stop Saying the Sprinter Van Was 'Built in the USA' Because It Really Isn't

https://jalopnik.com/mercedes-benz-f...-wa-1833923936
Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:20 AM   #2

That's interesting.. Truth in advertising isn't just confined to Mercedes Benz. If you watch TV ad's they too are very deceptive case in point is the cell provider Sprint and probably the rest of them Sprint advertises a free phone, unlimited calling and data for $35.00 a month. If you pause the TV and read the fine print it says with 5 phone lines. Obviously that's $175.00 and in fact, the phone isn't free but it's being leased.

Very deceptive form of advertising
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

Chevy pulled their "most reliable" ads after being challenged by Toyota.

Chevrolet Pulls 'Most Reliable' Ad After Being Challenged By Toyota
69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
Mercedes-Benz Forced to Stop Saying the Sprinter Van Was 'Built in the USA' Because It Really Isn't

I wish the Winnebago part was made in Germany- perhaps it would have been built better!
Old 06-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #5

Is there such a thing as "truth in advertising"? I don't recall ever encountering it.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninsd View Post
Is there such a thing as "truth in advertising"? I don't recall ever encountering it.
Amen!!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
What cars are "Made in America"?
Cars Made in America? Ford Falls Off the Latest List, Toyota Wins | Fortune
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post

This confuses me (lots of things, these days do). The door sticker on my VW Passat says, very clearly, that it was made in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I know that most of the parts were made elsewhere, the Diesel engine, I think in Germany. But the "car" was really made in Tennessee. At least, I bragg that it was.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
This confuses me (lots of things, these days do). The door sticker on my VW Passat says, very clearly, that it was made in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I know that most of the parts were made elsewhere, the Diesel engine, I think in Germany. But the "car" was really made in Tennessee. At least, I bragg that it was.

the key word is ASSEMBLED
vw, Benz, etc are assembled in usa with parts sourced from all over.

benz has a HUGE campus outside of birmingham al, they assemble a crap load there.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2021 F250 or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post

Well, it looks like I have another factory to tour! The chassis under my 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer was built in Ludwigsfelde, Germany! If you don't want to read the whole article, the 11th digit of the VIN tells you which factory:

P - Düsseldorf, Germany
N - Ludwigsfelde, Germany
T - South Carolina, USA
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #11

Most things on wheels these days are sourced from components built all over the world. The final assembly will be stated, but there is also a list of sources as well. After a bit of research, I found that if you want to buy American and want to get the most value for your money, get a Japanese car built in the USA. We bought a Subaru recently; it was built in Indiana and a good portion of the components were sourced in the USA. The parts content information states that 50% is U.S. and Canadian, 30% Japan and no attribution for the remainder. I met a guy looking at a Buick at a car show a few months ago. I asked him why he preferred this one over some of the other fine cars at the show. He said he wanted to buy American. I could not resist telling him that it was built in China. Some years ago my mother in law was shopping for a car, an Olds or a Buick out of habit. I suggested a Toyota Avalon. At that time it was a new edition that was engineered and built in the U.S. and specifically targeted at her demographic.

And about the quality thing. There is a car company that relies on carefully worded awards from J.D. Power to market their cars. What in the world does "Best Initial Quality" mean? Oh, maybe it means that after three months you have not had to call a tow truck. Be care of buying something that is touted as better than the competition, but when they list the features that make it so, they are always listed as "Available" and next thing you know it, you have nearly doubled the price.

A few years ago I was reading a window sticker on a VW. Remember how German or European built was supposed to imply quality? As I read the parts content I noted that the transmission was built in Japan and the car itself was built in Mexico. Aha! So that is why the ads on TV say, "German Engineering."
Old 06-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Well, it looks like I have another factory to tour! The chassis under my 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer was built in Ludwigsfelde, Germany! If you don't want to read the whole article, the 11th digit of the VIN tells you which factory:

P - Düsseldorf, Germany

N - Ludwigsfelde, Germany

T - South Carolina, USA

Checked my Thor Citation VIN and the 11th digit is a 9. Any idea? Maybe it was built in China.
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
VIN Decoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermbike View Post
Checked my Thor Citation VIN and the 11th digit is a 9. Any idea? Maybe it was built in China.
Give the DOT VIN Decoder (yes it's a real thing) a try - https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #14

Randy, I just checked the vin on my new 2020 Wayfarer and it has the N in the 11th position. If I remember correctly, Mercedes said they all were being built in South Carolina for the 2019 models for sale in the USA. I guess that isn't true now. Not sure if we're better off having it built in Germany or not? But the 2019 model Sprinters had been available in Europe for a while last year and we saw that Mercedes was about to ramp up manufacturing at their new plant in December and implied that is why we didn't see the new chassis in the US soonerl. Now it sounds like the "real" solution was to continue to import them as before, just delayed the 2019 models. Would be interesting to get the back story on all of this.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote