Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #1

Mercedes diesel any good

Close friend looking at a Mercedes class b motorhome. Is the diesel used in these expensive rigs having any problems
Gizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #2

I drove an Airstream Atlas for a year with a 188hp Mercedes engine. It was flawless and powerful enough to bound up hills even while towing a Prius on a tow dolly. Great engine.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:03 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be aware that anything made by Mercedes is VERY expensive to repair. Even my 2012 Smart Car which I bought new for $14,000 had parts priced twice what any other small car parts were.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the 3.0 V6 in my 11,000# Navion and tow my 4000# Ranger pick up and still see 13 MPG with tow, 15-17 without the tow. I think the oil change recommendation is something like 18000 miles. Not that I'm going to run it that long. Yes granted the services are more expensive but I brought quality for a reason and I'll do most of the service myself.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:01 AM   #5
IC2

The only downfall, as others noted, is the cost of repairs as well as parts. That holds true with anything that says Mercedes. I think I've read that there are some parts supply problem currently too, but that's a real problem with other vehicles too.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:25 AM   #6
PB2

We have a small Class A on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis and the research i've done shows the engine is very stout and should go a lot of miles. I believe that a fuel filter every year and oil changes annually or every 7,000 miles is good preventive maintenance.

These Sprinters are logging millions of miles a year in delivery vehicles and there are a couple of Sprinter specific forums online if you want to do a deep dive into their reliability.

You didn't ask about the transmission, but i've found that doing a fluid and filter change is a DIY project and not very difficult - messy, but not difficult.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a class C on a Mercedes Sprinter and it was the one thing on the coach that did not have a problem.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #8

The MB 3.0 diesel is a very refined engine with excellent performance: smooth, powerful and quiet with plenty of torque and excellent fuel mileage. Recently the EPA tried to shake MB down in an emissions lawsuit. They settled out of court and MB agreed to redo their emissions system and provided an extended 10 year warranty, so if you're buying used look for that feature.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #9

I've made 3-1/2 trips to TX (bought it in TX), a couple of trips to FL, a couple of trips from FL to TX, and one trip recently to CT. Engine ran flawlessly, and would climb hills at 65 mph on cruise control without so much as a wheeze.

I'm at around 10,000 lb loaded normally, with a hitch cargo box (no toad), and get about 18 mpg of diesel and 1300 mpg of DEF. That's on a 3500 dually extended with roof air, so it's pretty tall but not as wide as a Class A or C.

It's due for an oil change now, and there's a recall on the rear wheel speed sensors, and after the dealer did a front end alignment this spring, it handles waaaay better but I'm getting fast wear on the outside of the driver side front tire - only. Weird. But that's just par for the course.

A heavier sway bar, like the Hellwig, would also be nice. Quite tippy coming out of gas stations.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #10

I would buy one if I had to do it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzard View Post
Close friend looking at a Mercedes class b motorhome. Is the diesel used in these expensive rigs having any problems
I have a 2018 Forester 2401MS on a Mercedes Benz 3500 Sprinter Chasis. I bought the unit in the State of Washington and had it service in Seattle before I moved to Hot Springs, Arkansas in March of 2020 and because of Covid 19, we haven't used very much. The wake up for me came recently when I recevied a letter from Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC with an imporant Safety Recall. In trying to locate a Mecerdes Dealer to take care of the recall which I felt was Mecedes-Benz responiblity. I find the close dealer is Holmes European in Sheveport. LA. 143 miles from me. I made several phone closes waiting on hold for long wait times to be told Mecedes would pay to take my RV there, but I would have to go and pick it, which to me was the same as just taking it there, so that's what I did last Thusday I left my house at 5AM and arrived at dealeship for an 8 oclock appointment. Left the Dealership at 2PM and arrived back in Hot Springs at 6PM. after spend $126.0 for fuel to take care of 3 Mercedes-Benz Recalls. Can you imagine a wouldwide company like Mercedes, doesn't have a service infacility for the Sprinter 3500 in central Arkansas and you the Customer have to Spend your time and money to take care of there recall probelm. Buy a Ford, GM or Dodge, they have a Lot more Service department and are not as exspensevie. The Costomers service rep at Mercedes told I should have checked on serve availibity before I bought the unit, so I hope you and any looking to purchase A Mecedes does the same, unless they only going to us it locally. What kind of service would you get in Wyoming or Montana on vacation.
Pepper1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:43 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had two Mercedes Sprinter recalls done at nearer Freightliner dealers. Freightliner is owned by Mercedes-Benz or visa-versa and they have Sprinter shops.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
I have had two Mercedes Sprinter recalls done at nearer Freightliner dealers. Freightliner is owned by Mercedes-Benz or visa-versa and they have Sprinter shops.
Love this idea, but in our state Freightliner can't do warranty work on MB-branded Sprinters. So, this apparently varies by state. Otherwise, our local Frieghtliner who handles Sprinters has thus far been more than willing to service our van at far better prices than the local MB dealer.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:10 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
The first thing I did before even considering a Sprinter was locate a service center. I lucked out as my nearby Mercedes dealer works on Sprinters.

Sprinter vans are no more expensive than a nice Ford Diesel Dully, yet the service experience is top shelf and miles above what I've seen at a Ford dealer.

Yes, the maintenance is more and sometimes much more, but to me, that's a trade off. The ride, mileage, and quality is just worth it.

Amazon loves them. I believe in 2019 there was a Sprinter shortage as Amazon bought tens of thousands for their fleets. I'm sure they did their homework on them first.

I have no regrets. Just my opinions of course.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
Love this idea, but in our state Freightliner can't do warranty work on MB-branded Sprinters. So, this apparently varies by state. Otherwise, our local Frieghtliner who handles Sprinters has thus far been more than willing to service our van at far better prices than the local MB dealer.

That is interesting. The Freightliner shop in my hometown in NY does service my Winnebago Sprinter but when I asked them about the recall work, they said that I had to go to their main facility which was 17 miles away in an adjacent state, VT. I think it had to do with the paper work and billing.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel