Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

Mercedes Service A message help

Bought a new 2018 Dynamax Isata 3 on a Mercedes chassis in February. Just rolled over 1000 miles on the last camping trip. Got a dash service message that Service A is due in 25 days. Previously said service due in 19200 miles. I know from reading some posts that the service timer starts when the the chassis is manufactured. My questions are: Would you get it serviced or just reset the computer? If I just clear the message, will it effect the warranty? You long time owners, I would appreciate your input. Thanks
tinseast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinseast View Post
Bought a new 2018 Dynamax Isata 3 on a Mercedes chassis in February. Just rolled over 1000 miles on the last camping trip. Got a dash service message that Service A is due in 25 days. Previously said service due in 19200 miles. I know from reading some posts that the service timer starts when the the chassis is manufactured. My questions are: Would you get it serviced or just reset the computer? If I just clear the message, will it effect the warranty? You long time owners, I would appreciate your input. Thanks
Check page 176 or thereabouts of your owners manual. Following that is a list of all the messages that could be stored in the message memory. Also page 276. Service A is a minor service. I don’t think you can hurt anything by driving it, but since you are under warranty, I would take it to the dealership. You might try calling the service department of your local Freightliner dealer since they are MB authorized for service.

IMO, I don’t think you can reset the service indicator, yourself.

Funny, cause I’m sitting in the waiting room at Freightliner while they do the 20k mileage service on my 2016 Sprinter Thor Citation.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #3

My 2016 Prism has a build date of Sept 2015 - I bought it new off a dealer's lot in May of 17. In Aug 17 I started to get the countdown at 5500 miles. I changed the oil and reset the computer. On the Prism at least, it is not that difficult to reset it.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
So, what’s the steps to do the reset? I couldn’t find it in the manual. I would guess that all Mercedes-Benz Sprinters are the same.

BTW, Freightliner service people told me that if I have to add oil, to be sure and use only Mobil 1 ESP X1 0w-30 as that’s the exact equivalent of Mercedes-Benz oil for a 3500 Turbo Diesel. They said it’s a little hard to find....It’s $13.19 a quart at Advanced Auto, but the itemized bill for Freightliner doing the service shows only $6.00 a quart. Of course,they’re buying it in 55 gallon drums. Since the engine needs 13 quarts, I believe I’ll continue having them do the preventative maintenance.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #5

Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 goes on sale at Napa a few times per year for $5.79/qt. Regular price is like $9.99. The filters are about $11. It's really easy to do yourself and requires no jacking up of the MH.

To reset the computer (worked on mine)

Ignition on (not engine running)
hold the O button until it beeps
Press the M button until you see Reset 51
Press and hold O until 2 appears
Push O again

It should reset to 20k miles
Old 06-11-2018, 11:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 goes on sale at Napa a few times per year for $5.79/qt. Regular price is like $9.99. The filters are about $11. It's really easy to do yourself and requires no jacking up of the MH.

To reset the computer (worked on mine)

Ignition on (not engine running)
hold the O button until it beeps
Press the M button until you see Reset 51
Press and hold O until 2 appears
Push O again

It should reset to 20k miles
Thanks so much, AudiDudi. I’ll have to look up where the nearest NAPA dealer is located.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
2 years

Service "A" is two years or 20K miles, whichever comes first. I only had about 8K miles when mine rolled around. Since it is under warranty I had the service done at a MB dealer, so it is on record. Almost for certain your oil is fine, but for me at least why give MB an arguing point over $200 in the unlikely event I have an oil related warranty claim.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Mercedes Service A message help
hi tinseast,
my 2016 was like that too. it still has 16000 some odd miles yet but service light was on. I did oil change anyway because it has 3000 miles on it and i was kind of itching to do my own oil change. Youtube video will shows how to reset.
kohraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

when I lock my 2012 Sprinter RV with my key fob the lights don't blink.Why?
bobandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbetty View Post
when I lock my 2012 Sprinter RV with my key fob the lights don't blink.Why?

Do they blink if you push lock a 2nd time or when you unlock?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #11

Service A done

Took the Isata 3 in for the "Service A" today. Only has 1300 miles on it but the chasiss is 2 years old, therefore the Service A message comes up. Was advised by my peers to let the Mercedes shop do the work to protect the warranty. 200 mile round trip. They also changed out the brake fluid (2 year interval also) $364.00 total not including fuel Whew!
tinseast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service