Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2022, 08:48 PM   #1

Mercedes Sprinter 3500 Dual Wheel Valve Stem

Hi, just a little info on the Dual Wheel inside Valve Stem Issue. I have been trying to solve this Issue since I purchased this used 2017 Jayco Melbourne with the Mercedes 3500 Sprinter Chassis! I have Tried 5 different Valve Stem Set ups and finally found the solution. This pertains to the Coaches with the Steel Inside Wheels and the Hi-Spec Aluminum Outside wheels. The #VH515S6CSP 6" CHR SM Base Straight Valve .453 Reverse MT, 15MM Base from Borg Equipment and Supply, Phone#800 300-2674 fits with just a Slight Deg. Beng in it to Center the Stem in the Wheel Hole. You Maybe bend it 1/16" which Borg told me was ok to do. Now I can fill the tires properly and install my tire Pressure Sensors! I hope this helps!!!
72BuickGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2022, 05:59 AM   #2

I was haaving a problem with my rear dualies losing pressure nearly a year after getting new tires, inside and out...
I went to a trucking center to have them check for leaks and they discovered (even before pulling the wheels), the braided shield extensions for the inside wheels were leaking air.
So, they went ahead and pulled the wheels and replaced the valve stem with a six inch long stem and made the bend, so they came through to outside wheel holes. (They also remounted the wheels so the stems were opposite to offset for counter balance.)
Big difference between a good services center and a great one...

BTW: Anyone who reads this... Get rid of those flexible valve stem extensions... They area disaster waiting to happen...
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #3

Word of caution on the Borg or any other long stem for the inner duals... Likely not a problem with the steel inner/aluminum outer wheels, but if you have dual steel rims AND the stainless simulators, those can rub on the long stems and actually wear thru the brass stems! i had to get replacements for the inner Borg stems - ended up putting some JB Weld around the stem to prevent damage to the brass stem itself. Next step will be Dremel work on the simulator to enlarge the stem hole if necessary. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:38 AM   #4

had mine installed by Little Tire in Fredricksburg, VA. $50 for all 6. Had to hack up the front simulators so the TireMinder sensors would fit. Tire Minder issues on another thread :(
Shredder56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #5

I wanted to upgrade so I bought Borg Duallie replacement valves for both inner steel (6”) and outer Alcoa (curved) rear wheels and the TST 507 internal sensor TPMS….then I tried to get them installed. There are 8 separate tasks, and can’t seem to find an installer with all the skills-
1. Lift a sprinter 3500 chassis
2. Unmount and remount tires on shiny aluminum wheels
3. Install internal sensors
4. Install valves, and torque the nuts recessed in the aluminum to 100in/lbs, including bending the inner stem to center it in the outer rim’s opening
5. Balance tires including inner wheel with 6” valve stem
6. Ensure sensors are opposite valves and inner valves are opposite the outer
7. Install stabilizer properly in outer wheel opening
8. Remount wheels and properly torque lug nuts to 133ft/lbs

MB dealer won’t touch it for fear of “leaky” valves, typical tire stores can’t lift sprinter due to location of lift points and can’t balance with long stems, truck tire stores fail on the detail work for the valve stems, RV store doesn’t balance tires, so what should I leave out? Thinking I may just do TPMS and send valves back, or not balance tires and wait to see if there is a drivability problem.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:04 AM   #6

I've got all Steel Wheels on my 2018 Sprinter 3500. I'm thinking that these valve stems will work. https://www.sprinterstore.com/merced...t-front-stems/
Advice appreciated.
Sunrise Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Camp View Post
I've got all Steel Wheels on my 2018 Sprinter 3500. I'm thinking that these valve stems will work. https://www.sprinterstore.com/merced...t-front-stems/
Advice appreciated.
Looks like what I put on mine 20K miles ago. So far so good.
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #8

Check out the dually valves from Borg - https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...lly-valve-kits
They don't say "Mercedes" on them, so save yourself some $$$!
Been running these on my 2015 Prism for about 60k miles. One thing to watch for, no matter where you get the extended valves, is wear from the stainless steel wheel simulators, if you have those on the steel rims. The sharp edge on the simulators can wear into the valves stems (I had to replace one due to this). I solved this isuue 2-fold. I used a disk grinder to enlarge the holes in the simulator where the valve stem passes thru, plus I zip-tie the simulators to the steel rrims, to keep them from shifting/rubbing on the valve stems. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 06:29 PM   #9

I have the Borgs but no simulators, just Alcoa outer wheels with a rubber insert to hold the stem steady. I found out it's not too easy to put that outer tire and wheel back on and get the long valve stem poked thru the rubber stabilizer at the same time. I finally did it by using a small round camp shovel under the tire to pivot everything into place.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 01:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BuickGS View Post
Hi, just a little info on the Dual Wheel inside Valve Stem Issue. I have been trying to solve this Issue since I purchased this used 2017 Jayco Melbourne with the Mercedes 3500 Sprinter Chassis! I have Tried 5 different Valve Stem Set ups and finally found the solution. This pertains to the Coaches with the Steel Inside Wheels and the Hi-Spec Aluminum Outside wheels. The #VH515S6CSP 6" CHR SM Base Straight Valve .453 Reverse MT, 15MM Base from Borg Equipment and Supply, Phone#800 300-2674 fits with just a Slight Deg. Beng in it to Center the Stem in the Wheel Hole. You Maybe bend it 1/16" which Borg told me was ok to do. Now I can fill the tires properly and install my tire Pressure Sensors! I hope this helps!!!
I read all the responses to the OP above. My Tiffin Wayfarer with 2016 Sprinter 3500 with 18-hole Steel Wheel Covers is exhibiting the valve stem damage described throughout this thread/conversation.
1. Are the Borg wheel stems the definitive solution?
2. If yes to #1 above, do I need to have the RV lifted to install the stems?
3. Finally, is the installation performed by a tire sales and service center?
Yooper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:10 AM   #11

I just had these valve stems installed on my RV which has the 2018 Sprinter 3500 Chassis with all-steel wheels. https://www.sprinterstore.com/mercedesbenz-3500-sprinter-van-chrome-dually-valve-kit-front-stems/ I had it done at my Mercedes Dealer. I think they used a standard jack to change the valve stems.
Sunrise Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:44 AM   #12

Valve stems should be a simple thing, we take them for granted in our cars, but they are very complex in a class B with Dual rear wheels. There are 2 issues- a quality valve stem and installation of that valve stem. I think it is generally agreed that the Borg Duallie valve stems are a quality product, they make different versions for all the different wheels and they have customer service that is very helpful.

As far as installation is concerned, that is a very, very weak link, because of skill, knowledge and experience disparities; the liability issue of a leaky tire or damaged rim, and the logistics of accommodating a large vehicle. I've had mine done twice now in the past few months and I'm close to having it done right. Refer to my list previously in this post for all the skills needed. The whole vehicle can be lifted or an individual wheel can be jacked up. I would highly recommend asking the experience and skill of each of the 8 tasks of anyone that is going to install them, I don't think the decision point is as much an RV center vs a tire shop vs a truck service shop because any of them can be really good or fall short of this pretty highly technical service.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:57 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Unbound View Post
I wanted to upgrade so I bought Borg Duallie replacement valves for both inner steel (6”) and outer Alcoa (curved) rear wheels and the TST 507 internal sensor TPMS….then I tried to get them installed. There are 8 separate tasks, and can’t seem to find an installer with all the skills-
1. Lift a sprinter 3500 chassis
2. Unmount and remount tires on shiny aluminum wheels
3. Install internal sensors
4. Install valves, and torque the nuts recessed in the aluminum to 100in/lbs, including bending the inner stem to center it in the outer rim’s opening
5. Balance tires including inner wheel with 6” valve stem
6. Ensure sensors are opposite valves and inner valves are opposite the outer
7. Install stabilizer properly in outer wheel opening
8. Remount wheels and properly torque lug nuts to 133ft/lbs

MB dealer won’t touch it for fear of “leaky” valves, typical tire stores can’t lift sprinter due to location of lift points and can’t balance with long stems, truck tire stores fail on the detail work for the valve stems, RV store doesn’t balance tires, so what should I leave out? Thinking I may just do TPMS and send valves back, or not balance tires and wait to see if there is a drivability problem.
Have you tried any "DIY" engineering solutions to this problem? I'm thinking a rubber-grommet that would fit inside the hole in the wheel cover that the valve stem protrudes through. Or, maybe a metal "sleeve" around the outside of the valve stems.

Your thoughts?
Attached Images

Yooper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder56 View Post
had mine installed by Little Tire in Fredricksburg, VA. $50 for all 6. Had to hack up the front simulators so the TireMinder sensors would fit. Tire Minder issues on another thread :(
can I ask what location in FRB did you go, here in Norfolk seem to be hard to del with

Jerry
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sprinter, valve