Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mercedes Sprinter Van Good or Bad

I looked and couldn't find where to post this so if needs to be moved please feel free.

For some reason my wife has decided she wants a Sprinter van and found one with a Diesel. I have not even looked at or read the advertisement. In the past I have read articles on problems specific to the diesels. We are looking at used so mostly concerned about past problems but interested in overall dependability.

I anyone has and information on these types of vans please respond with specific problems, mileage when they occurred and cost to repair and if the problem reoccurred.

I did a quick search and found this
https://www.sprinter.repair/11-common-sprinter-problems

The previous article I read had to do with the exhaust pollution control.

I'm not adverse to buying something as long as the problems can be fixed and hopefully doing a good round of preventative maintenance will prevent a major problem as my wife would use this to transport dogs and would not be good if she was broke down on the side of the road.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
They are typical Mercedes, great when they are running fine, and terrible expensive when they break.

For my money, I would just stick with the Ford chassis, Transit or V10.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:02 AM   #3

You may have trouble finding a shop that will work on or service the Mercedes chassis. My sister has one and my BIL isn't a do it himself type so they have to go to an authorized service center. In their case that's a couple hundred miles just for an oil change. I rode in it a short distance and thought it was noisy.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #4

I'm new to the Sprinter chassis and have read a lot on them. I don't think there are any major issues as Amazon is a major purchaser of the Sprinter chassis and give it heavy use.

Not all Mercedes dealers are 'Sprinter' chassis authorized. I have two Mercedes dealers in my home town and one is authorized.

Currently, I have 925 miles on my class-B Sprinter. I'm very pleased with it so far, handles well and I really like the new safety features now offered (lane control, blind spot alert, auto braking, smart cruise control, etc.)

There is a Sprinter chassis thread here on IRV2. Near the top left on this page about two inches down on the yellow line, you see the word 'HOME'. Then to the right, 'RV Forums'. Roll your curser over it and a screen pops up, to the far right you will see 'Chassis Club', and 'Sprinter Chassis' is in that column. There are a lot of threads there specific to the Sprinter.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
There is a Sprinter chassis thread here on IRV2. Near the top left on this page about two inches down on the yellow line, you see the word 'HOME'. Then to the right, 'RV Forums'. Roll your curser over it and a screen pops up, to the far right you will see 'Chassis Club', and 'Sprinter Chassis' is in that column. There are a lot of threads there specific to the Sprinter.

Safe travels,
Mark

Thanks for the reply. Glad you're liking the Sprinter.

I did look and missed the Sprinter chassis. I go through it and see if I can get some of my questions answered.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We are enjoying our third Sprinter-based Winnebago, all diesel. Haven’t suffered any life-changing problems. Cumulative miles well over 150,000, 99% of the time with a toad.

Knock wood.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #7

My first motorhome was a Sprinter based coach. Looking at the link you posted, the issues mentioned are no more or less serious than those found on current diesel pushers powered by Cummins. Some are different and unique to Mercedes, but being aware means they can be addressed before they disable the vehicle.

Something to ponder, and mentioned in the link. Any issue with NOx or the DEF system triggers a count down clock on the dash as to how many starts are left before complete shut down. How many of the current diesel owners with DEF head issues would love to have that in their coaches?

My main hesitancy would be services, both local and on the road. As mentioned, not all Mercedes dealers have the ability to service Sprinters. Further, finding one while on the road may be difficult, depending on location of break down. Of course, there is the "Mercedes Premium" on all parts and labor.

My original motorhome, the one I mentioned, averaged over 15 mpg, and that was towing a Mini Cooper. It was not a class B van, it was an Itasca Reyo.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ljwt330

Thanks for the reply.

Fortunately this unit would be used more as a daily driver and short trips, not anticipate being too far from home.

I would do most of my own services as I currently do with the DP we own. I would only take it to service shop for things I couldn't research and do myself.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #9

My Sprinter

2016 Renagade Villagio on 2014 Freightliner (MB) chassis, bought new with 1,000+_ miles in 2017. Currently 27,000 miles. Biggest problem has been with the DEF system, sensors, heater. All repaired/replaced at different times under warranty. Approx. 18 mpg or 14+ when towing car. Overall pleased with engine, ride, low noise and Renegade responses. If I remember correctly, MB warranty is 5 yr/100,000 mi from purchase date. I would STRONGLY recommend making sure factory warranty is honored.
TXROADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Price is high, repair cost is high.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROADR View Post
2016 Renagade Villagio on 2014 Freightliner (MB) chassis, bought new with 1,000+_ miles in 2017. Currently 27,000 miles. Biggest problem has been with the DEF system, sensors, heater. All repaired/replaced at different times under warranty. Approx. 18 mpg or 14+ when towing car. Overall pleased with engine, ride, low noise and Renegade responses. If I remember correctly, MB warranty is 5 yr/100,000 mi from purchase date. I would STRONGLY recommend making sure factory warranty is honored.
Curious.

When you had issues with the DEF system, did you go into limp mode? If so was there a warning of any kind?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #12

After the emissions "recall" work has been done, the warranty on the entire emissions system is dramatically extended, so that's something to consider. Also, I've seen many stories where folks with the dreaded countdown simply hook up an ODBII diagnostic device to the ODBII port and reset the code so they can get where they have to be to get the system serviced. Also, I have read that a common cause of the dreaded countdown is a failure to keep the DEF tank full.

Lastly, sure, a MB diesel van is going to be more expensive to maintain than a Ford Transit Ecoboost. It just is.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
After the emissions "recall" work has been done, the warranty on the entire emissions system is dramatically extended, so that's something to consider. Also, I've seen many stories where folks with the dreaded countdown simply hook up an ODBII diagnostic device to the ODBII port and reset the code so they can get where they have to be to get the system serviced. Also, I have read that a common cause of the dreaded countdown is a failure to keep the DEF tank full.

Lastly, sure, a MB diesel van is going to be more expensive to maintain than a Ford Transit Ecoboost. It just is.
I do believe you need more than just an "Off the shelf" OBD reader to reset the countdown fault for the DEF. Pretty well protected by the MB factory.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:42 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies.

Still considering options, but at least knowing that these model years are covered under recall is good.

FWIW. I noticed that my neighbor, who is a HVAC just bought a new MB Sprinter so I went over and looked at it. He is a car nut and done his research and decided the MB Sprinter was the best option for him. Price was good but I'd doubt I'd buy new. But if I found a gently used one I guess I'd consider it. Unfortunately now is not the time to buy used.

Tags
sprinter, sprinter van