Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

Mercedes V6 Block Heaters?

This 2016 Navion is our first MB V6 - although we have had many other diesels in tractors and trucks.

I was surprised to see that the original owner didn't choose the optional block heater. This is a common cold climate accessory for every other diesel we've had.
Block heaters are bulletproof and I believe that MB makes one specifically for the Sprinter for a reasonable price.
I see that the engine has glow plugs, but that serves a different purpose.

Am I missing something? We expect to do a lot of cold weather camping. Do most Sprinter Chassis V6s have a block heater? What do you recommend? I'm kind of confused on this and would like to learn more.
thanks,
rScotty
rScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've never heard of a Sprinter equipped with a block heater from the factory. My guess is that it is not needed until you get into the below temperature range and honestly, you won't want to use your motorhome in those temperatures. Sprinter based motorhomes are, at best, considered three season coaches. While they may be equipped with tank heaters, they don't have the basement protection needed to survive the ultra low temperatures.

Back to your heater - try Mercedes but also check Europarts SD for sources.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

Agreed on the cold weather camping comments. If you're planning on doing some late Fall/early Spring stuff with temps at around the freezing mark, plus or minus a few degrees over 24 hours, you'll most likely be OK, but in continuous sub freezing temps you may find yourself in trouble. As luvlabs says, these things don't have enclosed basements which would give them a better shot at regular sub freezing usage. The tank heaters run off of, and will kill your coach batteries very quickly, unless you're plugged in to shore, or running your generator to keep them up.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #4

I'm surprised to hear that winter camping is not more popular. Before the Navion - which is brand new to us - for the last 40 years we've used a PU truck with a camper on it and done quite a bit of winter camping. Of course one huge difference there is that a PU camper has the water tanks inside rather than frame mounted. That way the water systems are protected in a PU camper as long as it has a thermostatic propane heater.

I might have to rig up inside water storage for the Navion. The OEM propane heater seems reasonable, and the body seems fairly tight. We will know more after this season.

But back to my original question - even if many Navion RVers don't do much winter camping, someone must be out there doing it. If not now, then soon. And the Sprinter is widely used as a commercial vehicle in cold climates. Block heaters reduce engine wear for a modest cost in wattage; I'm surprised they aren't more popular.
rScotty
Old 10-10-2020, 08:43 PM   #5

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Hea...ml#ymm/2/years
Old 10-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #6

What model Navion? G and V models indeed have the water tank below floor in an insulated box. J and M models appear to have the tanks sitting on the floor, inside the coach. I just looked at the 2016 plumbing installations and that is what I found.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
What model Navion? G and V models indeed have the water tank below floor in an insulated box. J and M models appear to have the tanks sitting on the floor, inside the coach. I just looked at the 2016 plumbing installations and that is what I found.

Charles
It's a 24J with the optional heaters for the holding tanks.

I think the holding tank heater temp. sensor is out front on the bottom of the front bumper air dam. At least there is some sort of sensor there, connected to what is obviously an add-on wire in the engine compartment. Anyone else have the tank heaters?

Where did you find the plumbing installations?
rScotty
Old 10-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #8

My 2016 Prism 24G has the water tank inside under the fridge. It also has the tank heaters which I have used only once when the temp got into the low 20's overnight. It was not an issue starting it at that temp with no block heater.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rScotty View Post
It's a 24J with the optional heaters for the holding tanks.

I think the holding tank heater temp. sensor is out front on the bottom of the front bumper air dam. At least there is some sort of sensor there, connected to what is obviously an add-on wire in the engine compartment. Anyone else have the tank heaters?

Where did you find the plumbing installations?
rScotty
Sorry, just now saw this.

Above floor tank I was referring to was the fresh water. Yes the waste tanks are underneath. My '07 had heat pads bonded to the bottom of them but they were peeling off and coming apart exposing the wires inside, I removed them and capped the wires, not sure what the new owner did.

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools/service

Scroll down toward the bottom of the page, you will find owner manuals, paint and sealant manuals, parts manuals, and wiring and plumbing diagrams and electrical equipment installation drawings. Download all of it and keep it on a thumb drive for future reference and to carry with you.

You will have to drill down thru a couple of menus and know the coach serial number and model number to get the correct info. Some of the manuals (parts) for later models are not PDF but rather require a add in reader on your computer to display them. The wiring and plumbing will be PDFs.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:58 AM   #10

We had a GL350 with v6 dsl and no block heater and it started fairly easily at -20f.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #11

I did three nights in Grand Junction two weeks ago. Temps down to 10. 6 inches snow. Tank heaters on but frozen valve kept me from dumping until I drove to warmer Utah.
I was in a campground with power.
First time with snow. Needed help scraping the snow Iíve off the slides. If you camp in snow get a ladder and brush or you may not get the slides in.
My G does not have a ladder and I need the rear slide for bed. A J could have the side slide in.

Tags
heat, heater