Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #1

Motorcycle Hitch Carrier

We are looking to get a hitch carrier (Versa Haul or Joe Hauler) for a Honda CRF250L to use as local transportation for our Leisure Travel Unity. With the hitch carrier and the bike full of fuel we should be below the allowable hitch capacity.

Does anyone have any experience with carrying a scooter or motorcycle with a hitch carrier? Any other recommendations for carriers or what to watch for?

Thanks for the help!

Steve
sjm1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
They do work, but you will want to tie it down a little more on each end to the frame or some place solid after you go for your first drive! They flop around like crazy!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #3

MC Carrier

Hey Steve: I posted a thread a few weeks ago about a bumper/hitch motorcycle carrier. I was thinking about my DW Concours 700#) or our GL1800 Goldwing (900#)

I called the manufacturer of one of the carriers and the rep I spoke with said they do not recommend installation on a MH AT ALL. She said there experience was that it was too "bouncy" and would cause damage to the MH or the bike.

Now, you are probably taling about much lighter weights with your scooter, but their comments made me look for an alternative to the carrier, and I have been looking for a trailer instead.

My $0.02.
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindan n Jim View Post
Hey Steve: I posted a thread a few weeks ago about a bumper/hitch motorcycle carrier. I was thinking about my DW Concours 700#) or our GL1800 Goldwing (900#)

I called the manufacturer of one of the carriers and the rep I spoke with said they do not recommend installation on a MH AT ALL. She said there experience was that it was too "bouncy" and would cause damage to the MH or the bike.

Now, you are probably taling about much lighter weights with your scooter, but their comments made me look for an alternative to the carrier, and I have been looking for a trailer instead.

My $0.02.
Yes, the bike we will be towing is a dual sport that weighs about 325 lbs. If you mind me asking, what manufacturer did you call. Both Versa Haul and Joe Hauler have a hitch clamping system that is supposed to help eliminate wobbling.

I might be with you and go ahead and get a trailer but am trying to avoid added length and more wheel bearings and tires possibly failing on the road.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
They do work, but you will want to tie it down a little more on each end to the frame or some place solid after you go for your first drive! They flop around like crazy!
Happy Glamping.
In your experience are there any brands (designs) that don't flop around?

Thanks?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the versahaul, it's solid as a rock. With a scooter you need the longer one since the motor is further back on the scooter than a regular mc. Give them a call. The sport model with ramp weighs in about 109 lbs. My PCX 150 is 300 so I'm under the 500 lb limit.

I've put about 8k miles and I don't even flip on the camera anymore to check itl
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #7

I as well use the Versahaul. Solid as a rock. I even mounted a sewer hose carrier under it. Works great. They can customize the package with different hitch length and height to fit your rig.
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #8

[QUOTE=NYBobbo;3656955]I use the versahaul, it's solid as a rock. With a scooter you need the longer one since the motor is further back on the scooter than a regular mc. Give them a call. The sport model with ramp weighs in about 109 lbs. My PCX 150 is 300 so I'm under the 500 lb limit.

I've put about 8k miles and I don't even flip on the camera anymore to check itl[/QUOTE

Thanks, that was exactly the information I was looking for. The bike I will be using is a dual sport (Honda crf250l) and not a scooter so hopefully the shorter model will work well.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ View Post
I as well use the Versahaul. Solid as a rock. I even mounted a sewer hose carrier under it. Works great. They can customize the package with different hitch length and height to fit your rig.
Thanks! I will give them a call and get their recommendations.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ View Post
I even mounted a sewer hose carrier under it..
great idea! never thought of that.... can you post pics or pm them when you get a chance
Old 06-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindan n Jim View Post

My $0.02.
Yeah, an aluminum trailer would be ideal. Buddy of mine got one from Tractor Supply and hauls his Leadwing around, takes about a 1mpg hit. Not bad!
trenchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #12

Any of the haulers will work with your crf250l (bike not scooter, btw.)

I see lots of versahauls and joe haulers at the races around here. When I was looking everyone I spoke with that had one of your choices was pleased with their purchase. People who purchased Harbor Freight were less than pleased with their choice. I chose the Ultimate MX hauler (similar price point to your choices) for the simple reason that it locks the bike down by the foot pegs rather than straps that depend on the suspension and inflated tires. Its also easier to load when it is just me.

I ride in the new mexico dessert and many is the time that a tire will be flat by the time I'm home. Flat tire = loose straps and front to back wiggle of the bike. Yes, the suspension will take up the slack, but it isn't as tight as it was. I always worry about loosing the toy.

The anti-rattle attachments out there do their job. Some are like u bolts that press the hitch to the receiver (your choices). Others are a modified hitch pin with thread that pull the hitch tight to the receiver (mx hauler). Which ever do a good job at reducing sway in the hitch.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndrorder View Post
Any of the haulers will work with your crf250l (bike not scooter, btw.)

I see lots of versahauls and joe haulers at the races around here. When I was looking everyone I spoke with that had one of your choices was pleased with their purchase. People who purchased Harbor Freight were less than pleased with their choice. I chose the Ultimate MX hauler (similar price point to your choices) for the simple reason that it locks the bike down by the foot pegs rather than straps that depend on the suspension and inflated tires. Its also easier to load when it is just me.

I ride in the new mexico dessert and many is the time that a tire will be flat by the time I'm home. Flat tire = loose straps and front to back wiggle of the bike. Yes, the suspension will take up the slack, but it isn't as tight as it was. I always worry about loosing the toy.

The anti-rattle attachments out there do their job. Some are like u bolts that press the hitch to the receiver (your choices). Others are a modified hitch pin with thread that pull the hitch tight to the receiver (mx hauler). Which ever do a good job at reducing sway in the hitch.

Yeah, I don't know where the scooter reference came from the the crf250l is certainly not a scooter. I will check our the mx hauler. I was liking the Versa haul due to the fact that it offers a hitch extender which may offer adding a little storage rack behind the bike track.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #14

For the past 3 years I have been using the Harbor Freight Aluminum/steel carrier. About 10K problem free miles. Weighs a bit over 40 lbs. and is just over 100 bucks with the traditional HF 20% off coupon.

To keep it from rocking, it comes with an anti-rattle bracket which is OK, but I prefer using a 5/8" grade 8 bolt with captive nut to really lock it down.

It has gotten some bad reviews claiming failure. The early design used an aluminum bracket to connect the carrier to the hitch tube. If not tightened regularly, it will loosen up and wobble a lot, possibly causing failure. The Current design uses a gusseted steel bracket, so that weak point has been eliminated. In any case, with any bolt-together carrier, check the bolt tightness regularly.

I carry a WR250R, just about the same weight and size of your CRF

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote