Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #1
PB2

New guy here with some new guy questions.

Hi all! We have signed a contract on a new - to us - motorhome on the Sprinter chassis. It's a 2014 Winnebago Via 25T. We'll pick it up this week.

We've had RV's in the past but it has been years ago and we're confident we'll be camping in no time!

My questions are about the Sprinter. Ours has about 25K miles.

I've read you should alternate between Service A & B every 10,000 miles - good advice?

I see the transmission should be serviced at 40,000 miles. Should i wait or service it now and know that it's done?

During the test drive i noticed some body sway. I've been reading on the Hellwig anti-sway bar. Is this a DIY install? I'm fairly handy with tools, but by no means a full time mechanic! Are new shocks a good idea? With only 25K miles i would think the original shocks are still serviceable, but may consider new if it would make a difference.

Is there any advice about the engine? I've had diesels in the past and have found one of the best preventive maintenance services is to keep a fresh fuel filter on it. Oil change intervals are 10K miles - sound right?

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #2

I would take it to the place you plan on having the chassis serviced at, and ask them about recommended service intervals for the items you mentioned.
I think your suggested service intervals sound a bit short. Oil changes can be done at longer intervals than 10,000 miles, for example.

That said, I prefer to have things done when most convenient, because my regular MB Sprinter dealer is a 60 mile trip one way. I try to schedule all the current required service items in one visit, for that reason. If I'm due for one thing, but only close to due for another, I may get them both done together, for convenience.

Speak to a MB Sprinter Service Advisor, would be my suggestion.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #3

Your services, A & B, will be called out on your dash display when the computer deems them necessary. The computer calculates the intervals for the alternate services according to mileage and time. Parking the vehicle for long periods and racking up only a few miles will generate a service announcement before a set distance of miles have been clocked.

I'd follow the advice from the previous post and call your MB servicer for advice on other, unscheduled services.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My personal opinion, and take it for what it's worth is, when I buy a "New to me" anything, I have all the service done. EVERYTHING. It's not that I'm not a trusting soul, but I want to know it's been done, correctly, by a service center I trust.

Then going forward I follow the time/miles rule. Usually the manufacture will list both. I put 5k miles and 10-20 hours a year, as I winter and summer.

Also, no matter what miles, age is the prerequisite for hoses, belts, tires coolant, etc. A 15 year old coach may have 20k miles but it is time to flush and change everything. Not driving is just as bad as driving.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
My personal opinion, and take it for what it's worth is, when I buy a "New to me" anything, I have all the service done. EVERYTHING. It's not that I'm not a trusting soul, but I want to know it's been done, correctly, by a service center I trust.

Then going forward I follow the time/miles rule. Usually the manufacture will list both. I put 5k miles and 10-20 hours a year, as I winter and summer.

Also, no matter what miles, age is the prerequisite for hoses, belts, tires coolant, etc. A 15 year old coach may have 20k miles but it is time to flush and change everything. Not driving is just as bad as driving.
Thanks ---saved me some typing

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
PB2

Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward replacing all fluids, too. Not as much due to the mileage, but because it's 7-8 years old.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward replacing all fluids, too. Not as much due to the mileage, but because it's 7-8 years old.

How old are the tires?
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
How old are the tires?
Original Winnebago tires? Their time is up.
Do you know how to read the date code?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #9
PB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
How old are the tires?

Great question! We have not picked up the camper yet and i didn't check when we test drove it.

And yes, i know how to read the date code - thanks for alerting me to this. I'll check when we get it.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post

What he said, good advise. This is what I would do.
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:46 AM   #11

Ok PB2, we like updates! How are you liking the new-to-you VIA!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #12
PB2

Well, after a few delays, some on our part, some on the dealerships part, we finally got our rig home yesterday. It was about a 3 hour drive home and it drove beautifully. Some body sway and i have a rear sway bar and Sumo Springs in the garage ready to install in the next few days. Flat lands around here and 65 was very comfortable.

We're now in the mode of gathering the required bits to make it all work. We'll do an overnight at a local campgound so we can do all the hookups and see what we're missing. Planning on a trip out west after Labor Day.

Thanks for asking! I'm sure i will still have some "new guy questions" along the journey.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Outstanding and congrats!! Keep doing your research on ownership and RV'ing in general, YouTube is the best source, and ask whatever is on your mind.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #14

We have 46,000 miles on our 2017 Navion V and had the B service done around 40,000 as required by MB. While in the shop the mechanic suggested a fluid change on the transmission indicating that the transmission fluid should be changed more frequently than the recommended 40,000 miles because they were not originally designed to carry the extra weight of the motor home. He suggested every 30,000 miles due to the extra weight. A break fluid flush was also done at this time.

Note that if you run biodiesel B20 MB recommends changing the oil and fuel filter more often than MB recommended intervals.

I have all service done at a Freightliner dealer as recommended by MB and have not had a breakdown and think it’s money well spent. Nothing worse than breaking down on a road in the middle of nowhere.

Mike 2017 NV OR