Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Saber77
New Via or Reyo?

We are considering downsizing from our current 40' DP to a 2012 Via or Reyo 25T. We have been very frustrated with the poor quality of campgrounds around the country, with many containing permanent residents and little more than dusty parking lots. That's the price we've paid for requiring drive-thru full hookups and not being able to fit our DP into most state and federal campgrounds (Forest Service and National Parks, etc.) The requirement to fit a rig into the nicer and more rustic campgrounds, together with the better fuel economy of the Sprinter chassis, is why we are interested in the Via/Reyo. We have found very few reviews of these small Class-A motorhomes, so we would like to ask the forum to provide any experiences users have had with these rigs or any recommendations. Thanks.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #2

Have you actually been in one of these? the fuel numbers are impressive but what do you give up (beside a lot of cash) to get it? It will be (an you already know this) a very significant change from a 40 footer. I have looked at them and while just 5 ft shorter than my 30 ft gasser it's a big difference. Limited storage in and out, a single kitchen sink, and not a not of carrying capacity.

I fully understand the campground issue as we mostly stay at state parks. I don't "get" the wall to wall rv type campgrounds. For us 30' is a great size as it gets us in just about anywhere.

Any how good luck with your decision.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the help. Yes, we have been inside them and driven them--they drive and handle real nice. We know it would be a big step down, but we also believe we can get by without a TOAD. The 25T has a huge basement storage area--76 sq ft--and would probably hold most of our outside stuff. I would like to hear from any users who actually have one of these rigs to see what they have to say.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think you'll get the info you are looking for on this forum...go here instead:

Reyo-Via : Reyo-Via
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks -- I found what I needed at that forum.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #6

I bought a 2011 Reyo Oct. 2010. Since then I have had to be towed once, and have travelled in limp mode several times over 100 miles to 254 miles due to engine problems caused by water getting onto the EGR and flooding the air filter. I had repairs in AL,LA,NC,CT. and FL all because of the check engine light coming on. I had 3 new EGRs, 2 new turbo resonators, O rings replaced. I had extra urea added and made several trips to four mechanics before having the last problem diagnosed as a malfunction in the anti-pollution system. One part was unavailable in the USA and Germany. It took over 3 weeks to get the parts and I have to wait for the mechanic to get to it, end of this week. I have had coach repairs done in AL,CT,RI, and FL. They include a stuck captains chair...had to drive sideways for 50 miles till fixed at the dealer, replace window shade due to broken handle, replace broken window hinges, exterior water valve fell out, repair door window shade, have kitchen drawers realigned due to wide gaps, repair front door handle three times and still difficult to open, replace missing grommetes on range where lid comes down, tighten up over head cabinet doors, replace seal in back of cabinet where refrigerator installed as air and sunlight coming through, replace refrigerator as it kept frosting over lowering inside temperature necessitating the removal of spoiled food and medication, replace motor in Kwikee steps, repair fan in hood range and have two extra screws put in to hold it in place, rewire slideout so it did not drain engine battery. I am waiting on a new closet door as the laminate is peeling off. The gel coat is cracking in the rear. Awaiting Winnebago on this.

Please look at your CCC as it is a little over 1000 lbs and includes water, passenger weight. There is a lot of storage space, you simply cannot use it all.

Everything is under warranty. After complaining to Winn. and Mercedes I was reimbursed for car rental and hotel lodging while waiting for parts and repair in LA, AL, and NC.. Please be advised that authorized Mercedes dealers are few and far between, and most have never worked on a Reyo. Freightliner will do warranty work. Most mechanics complain that the engine is cramped and difficult to work in.

It is easy to drive. Sways a lot with passing 18 wheelers or strong wind. Gets 15 1/2 to 16 MPG. Convenient to park due to 25 foot length and under 11 feet in height. We put a cover over the b.rm. vent so we can leave it open while we drive. Kitchen area very small to work in. Can't open refrig. all the way with slider in in our model. I don't like the refrig. at all. No separate freezer door on the outside. Easy to set up at site. Has cameras in back and on the sides.

We have about 7000 miles on it and have yet to travel without something going wrong. At present I would be very hesitant to drive through Death Valley, or down a switchback road in Utah. I am told that the first few years of owning a Class A you have to work out the bugs. Falling from 65 mph to 23 mph on I-10 in New Orleans, on a bridge on a steep incline with an angry truck driver behind you is more then working out the bugs. Multiply that times three and you get aggravated.

Once we get the antipollution system fixed we hope to drive to WI without any engine problems, with a functioning refrigerator. If not, we have Mercedes and Winn. numbers and will dial then up quickly. Customer Service is very helpful and pleasant, I just don't want to have to call them. Winnebago refuses to take it back.
reyo owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyo owner View Post
I bought a 2011 Reyo Oct. 2010. Since then I have had to be towed once, and have travelled in limp mode several times over 100 miles to 254 miles due to engine problems caused by water getting onto the EGR and flooding the air filter. I had repairs in AL,LA,NC,CT. and FL all because of the check engine light coming on. I had 3 new EGRs, 2 new turbo resonators, O rings replaced. I had extra urea added and made several trips to four mechanics before having the last problem diagnosed as a malfunction in the anti-pollution system. One part was unavailable in the USA and Germany. It took over 3 weeks to get the parts and I have to wait for the mechanic to get to it, end of this week. I have had coach repairs done in AL,CT,RI, and FL. They include a stuck captains chair...had to drive sideways for 50 miles till fixed at the dealer, replace window shade due to broken handle, replace broken window hinges, exterior water valve fell out, repair door window shade, have kitchen drawers realigned due to wide gaps, repair front door handle three times and still difficult to open, replace missing grommetes on range where lid comes down, tighten up over head cabinet doors, replace seal in back of cabinet where refrigerator installed as air and sunlight coming through, replace refrigerator as it kept frosting over lowering inside temperature necessitating the removal of spoiled food and medication, replace motor in Kwikee steps, repair fan in hood range and have two extra screws put in to hold it in place, rewire slideout so it did not drain engine battery. I am waiting on a new closet door as the laminate is peeling off. The gel coat is cracking in the rear. Awaiting Winnebago on this.

Please look at your CCC as it is a little over 1000 lbs and includes water, passenger weight. There is a lot of storage space, you simply cannot use it all.

Everything is under warranty. After complaining to Winn. and Mercedes I was reimbursed for car rental and hotel lodging while waiting for parts and repair in LA, AL, and NC.. Please be advised that authorized Mercedes dealers are few and far between, and most have never worked on a Reyo. Freightliner will do warranty work. Most mechanics complain that the engine is cramped and difficult to work in.

It is easy to drive. Sways a lot with passing 18 wheelers or strong wind. Gets 15 1/2 to 16 MPG. Convenient to park due to 25 foot length and under 11 feet in height. We put a cover over the b.rm. vent so we can leave it open while we drive. Kitchen area very small to work in. Can't open refrig. all the way with slider in in our model. I don't like the refrig. at all. No separate freezer door on the outside. Easy to set up at site. Has cameras in back and on the sides.

We have about 7000 miles on it and have yet to travel without something going wrong. At present I would be very hesitant to drive through Death Valley, or down a switchback road in Utah. I am told that the first few years of owning a Class A you have to work out the bugs. Falling from 65 mph to 23 mph on I-10 in New Orleans, on a bridge on a steep incline with an angry truck driver behind you is more then working out the bugs. Multiply that times three and you get aggravated.

Once we get the antipollution system fixed we hope to drive to WI without any engine problems, with a functioning refrigerator. If not, we have Mercedes and Winn. numbers and will dial then up quickly. Customer Service is very helpful and pleasant, I just don't want to have to call them. Winnebago refuses to take it back.
so your post is 9 years old. do you still have and how about an ending to your saga.
thanks,
Barnkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a 40" Diesel pusher and have down sized to a 2015 Itasha Reyo and couldn't be happier. I have a 25T and am very happy with the storage space. It handles beautifully and has enough room in it for 2 people. I don't pull a car and have not had a problem. If I'm staying some where for a week or more, I rent a car. In the long run it is the best way to go.
dpm91141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #9

2012 Via 25T experience

We have had ours since 2016, put 6K on a Utah circle trip from WI last year, only problem was a rock chip in the window that was fixed locally the next day for $40. Have put 13K total on it since we got it, just retired so the mileage was suppose to be >15K this year but COVID canceled that. Beside basic maintenance, the only issues have included a bad glow plug and replacing the propane fridge with a 120VAC/12VDC electric model that slid right into place so we now keep the food cold. It's our first RV, we were backpackers so this thing is HUGE to us and has plenty of room. No toad, planning to get ebikes in the future for short jaunts when needed. The 25 footer goes about just about anywhere.

To handle 18 wheeler air disturbances, just take your foot off the gas as they pull even with you. Driveway turns and 50 MPH crosswinds need a suspension upgrade, stiffer antisway in the back and sumo springs go a long way to improving the driving experience. The seats are comfortable enough to put in a 14 hour day driving non-stop when required with no back pain for the only driver. Of course, YMMV.
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote