Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Noise abatement on 2013 MB Sprinter Solera

Has anybody done any noise abatement projects on my particular RV chassis and model? Driving over concrete roads is a little too noisy for me. Iím interested in knowing what was done, how much it cost, and if the improvement is cost justified.
Happy camping and thank you!
YB
Y Badua is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Replace the Continental tires (if so equipped) as they are pretty noisy. You might want to try Michelins in the same size - they are reported to transmit less road noise. Other than avoiding those types of roads, I'm not coming up with too many ideas. Bad roads abound in this country and you are just going to have to put up with it. Even though it says Mercedes on the front, it's still a 1 ton truck.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Replace the Continental tires (if so equipped) as they are pretty noisy. You might want to try Michelins in the same size - they are reported to transmit less road noise. Other than avoiding those types of roads, I'm not coming up with too many ideas. Bad roads abound in this country and you are just going to have to put up with it. Even though it says Mercedes on the front, it's still a 1 ton truck.

I will certainly consider that on my next tire change. Thanks!
YB
Old 06-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I wanted to add an experience we had with our Phaeton in Mississippi - the roads were worse that we had encountered anywhere and that included Indiana. We were fulltimers and had been in a whole lot states and were appalled how poor they were.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
I agree on the tire change. We found this to be true on a 3/4 ton truck when switching from Hankook to Michelin. The Michelin's were much quieter.

In our Sprinter we added throw rugs down the center which help control much of the road noise and dampens sound that might otherwise echo down the empty section of the coach. Just a thought.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:00 AM   #6

Comments from owners with carpeted living spaces, please! What is your experience with regards to noise level when driving over concrete roads? I have carpet only in the cab. I have determined that thereís enough space under the slide outs so Iím considering replacing vinyl flooring with carpet if it helps deaden the noise. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #7

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We have carpet in the cab and throw rugs in the cabin. Other than changing tires I really can't speak about how you could reduce the road noise over concrete roads. I do know that Michelin's use a mixed width rib pattern, i.e. 2 ribs, 4 ribs, 3 ribs, 4 ribs, 2 etc. That dampens out the harmonic response from concrete patterns that the road departments adds to surfaces for traction. Other tire manufacturers do not have a mixed pattern which would create a harmonic response to the surface texture.

Just my two cents worth......
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #8

We had a stereo shop put sound dampening pads in the front doors and the sliding door. Then we added heavy rubber floor mats over carpet pad on the floor in front covered by Weathertech floor mats. Then we added heavy rubber floor mats over carpet pad to the cabinets over the front seats. Significantly quieter (but not perfect)
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #9

Thanks! Your inputs make sense. Now I have to divine which one(s) will likely provide the best bang for the buck. Sorry for the late comeback, I was on a long trip. Best regards, everyone!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Badua View Post
Thanks! Your inputs make sense. Now I have to divine which one(s) will likely provide the best bang for the buck. Sorry for the late comeback, I was on a long trip. Best regards, everyone!

One other thing you might try. There is a spray on insulation that goes in wheel wells. It is designed specifically for this issue. I used this on my Samurai as it is basically a tin box with mud tires (very noisy). This really quieted it down. I bought it at NAPA Auto Parts about 5 years ago so I can't remember the name of the product.
It was similar or may even be this:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-03584-Prof...sulation+spray
Old 07-26-2018, 01:53 AM   #11

So I started off with installing interlocking rubber mats that I got from Costco for $12.99 per pack (pack of 9 pcs of 4íx4í mats + some edge pieces was enough to cover most of my floor area). There was some improvement. Now thinking on what to try next to deaden the noise further.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #12

I am on a mission to try and reduce the road noise in our 09' Sprinter based RV.

In the cab :
#1) I bought several boxes of adhesive 3M Sound Reduction Matts : https://www.amazon.ca/3M-38500-19-11.../dp/B009XR48MM
and stuck them to the floor of the cab. Result : ...about 2 decibels of noise reduction

#2)undercoated the RV with Zeibart Rust proofing/sound deadening : Result : about another 2 decibels worth.

#3) bought a couple of sheets of Dynamat hood liner :

https://www.amazon.ca/Dynamat-11905-...5VXVQ4XHHJ4DEF

and applied a little bit to the small sections of exposed firewall and will apply more to the pass through storage directly behind the cab area in spring time. The Dynamat is extremely lightweight and very effective. If something like this would have been applied to the RV floor sandwich at the factory, we'd all be enjoying a QUIET ride.

At 55mph on the highway, I've gone from 78 decibels-A weighted to 72 decibels. By comparison, our Ford Edge measures 57 decibels !

No consideration is given at the RV factories that they've created a very large loud speaker box that resonates and amplifies road noise. The dually wheels alone create that typical, loud, whining highway truck noise. With no wheel well liners and only a thin sheet of plywood between them and your RV box...ugh...

For a vacation vehicle that we're supposed to enjoy on long trips, it's not as pleasant as it could be.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to ksrow
There is a lot of noise that comes through the front doors, as stated above have the inner doors lined with adhesive dynamat like is used when high end sound systems are installed in automotive applications. Also check all of your door seals as some do not completely seal out road and wind noise. The biggest offender is the RV door where you enter the RV. Look at the existing seals and see if they show compression, if not replace them with good High quality 3M backed compression seal that can be found on Amazon here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Our Screen door on the inside made quite a bit of noise also and it was abated by using the same seals between it and the main door around the metal lower portion to stop the rattles. The tire issue is a big one as well..Hope this helps..
Merry Christmas.
ksrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #14

ksrow....Thanks !....will definitely try the Dynamat on the front doors. On our rig, the fit of those MB front doors is not the greatest...so yes, will look into everything.

Tags
noise