RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2020, 11:43 PM   #57

Norcold DCOO61R

I called Norcold today, as I have the same issue with "short cycling" (about every 90 seconds in my case). I was told the DC0061R draws 8.0 amps to start the compressor, and 6.5 amps during the rest of the cycle!

Winnebago's choice of NAPA 8240 batteries to power this 12v fridge is ridiculous. You will be lucky to make it through the night when dry camping.

The "short cycling" doesn't change when the shoreline is connected. I have yet to get a good night's sleep due to the loud click that starts and ends each cycle.

It cools just fine. The issue is the noise from short cycling and the draw on the batteries. If anyone has found a solution to the short cycling please let me know!

2019 Navion 24G

stenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems that these units all have the same operating symptoms.

I think that your only dry camping solution is going to be to convert to the larger 6V batteries or going to Lithium. The Lithium should definitely do the trick, but is pricey. I haven't researched them too much, but most Lithium batteries also require special chargers. So if you go that route look into that before making the leap.

LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenor View Post
I called Norcold today, as I have the same issue with "short cycling" (about every 90 seconds in my case). I was told the DC0061R draws 8.0 amps to start the compressor, and 6.5 amps during the rest of the cycle!
The 8.0A should be an extremely brief startup current (small fraction of a second) and the 6.5A should be during the run portion of the cycle. The off portion will draw 0A, though I should probably check that myself in case there is some other draw in there. Doesnít make sense, but you never know.

So if itís running 50% of the time, thatís equivalent to a 3.25A current draw, round the clock, or 78 Ah per 24 hour period, though I suspect it runs less at night when itís cooler in the vehicle.

Quote:
It cools just fine. The issue is the noise from short cycling and the draw on the batteries. If anyone has found a solution to the short cycling please let me know!
You might be able to insulate the thermostat for sound, though there doesnít look to be much room in there. Or thermally insulate the thermocouple to slow its reaction time down. But itís going to run as much as it has to run over time to maintain the temperature difference between inside and outside. About the only way to make it more efficient would be to insulate it further, if thatís possible, or replace it with a more efficient unit.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
The duty cycle (On time vs Off time) on mine seems fairly constant over a 24 hr. period, 2 min on - 2 min off. Probably a little longer On time during the heat of the day and shorter during the night.

I don't know how the fridge installation is in your RV, but there is no room for extra insulation in mine. If I could add more, that would be ideal. Obviously the unit was designed to be as compact as possible since it was going into these smaller motorhomes. Unfortunately the insulation density in the enclosure was what suffered from this design decision. As long as it works, guess we'll just have to deal with it. Maybe if enough of these Chinese knockoff compressors fail from excessive cycling, a class action will come about.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
I guess Iím not as sensitive to sound as you are. I almost never hear it cycle on or off. Occasionally as Iím going to sleep I will hear it but on mine itís not very loud and certainly does not affect my sleep in any way.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:31 PM   #62

Norcold DCOO61R

Randy:

I see you have a 2020 View. What model fridge is Winnebago putting in the 2020 models?

Steve
2019 Navion 24G
stenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Randy:

I see you have a 2020 View. What model fridge is Winnebago putting in the 2020 models?

Steve

2019 Navion 24G

Norcold N10DCSSR
10 cu ft 12v dc only.

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, norcold