Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 05:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall69 View Post
RUN don't walk away from the Sprinter. I had a 2007 and spent almost as much on repairs as I did buying the vehicle. I had a custom coach built and could have any chassis I wanted I went with a FOrd V-10 and never spent a dime on service and passed hundreds of dealers on the road. The Sprinter dealers are few and far between. A GOOD Sprinter mechanic is as rare as a bigfoot sighting.

It got to the point with the SPrinter that I couldn't trust driving it more than 100 miles from home for fear of breaking down.
I have read some nightmares, but all were post 2010. Can you be more specific on the issues with the 2007?

The last C I had was a 24' Chevy Vortec 454 and like you no issues at all. But then again I might have put 10K on it in 5 years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #16

Round 2...fail

I found the DEF tank in 5 min - passenger side lower compartment behind entry door.

Slide out broke the day before and was stuck 5" out. Salesman said floor had a soft spot so they replaced the entire floor and it still had a soft spot. I have put down several floors in RV, and I can tell ya positively this one had NOT been replaced.

There's 5 hours I'll never get back.....
Old 07-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I have read some nightmares, but all were post 2010. Can you be more specific on the issues with the 2007?

The last C I had was a 24' Chevy Vortec 454 and like you no issues at all. But then again I might have put 10K on it in 5 years.
Spend some time here it will educate you.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Here's one from the site:
Once I got this brand new '15 4WD Sprinter two issues came up:

- Clunking noise from the rear axle whenever vehicles starts moving or stops, accelerates or decelerates.

- Standard air conditioner was much less efficient if compared to the same 2WD Sprinter.

Took it to the dealer service - dealer has replaced transfer case for "too much play", but nothing has changed in terms of clunking noise.

Took it to another dealer and ask their mechanic out to diagnose this problem - apparently this mechanic had heard same complains before, so he said that on 4WD Sprinters this noise is normal work of rear axle........:(

- as for the poor performance of air conditioner, he said that in order to improve on fuel efficiency, starting 2015 models MB has put some outside (5) sensors to make air conditioner work more sophisticated but less effective. Therefore he is advising his sales people to convince clients to install auxiliary air conditioner to avoid this issue..... another bummer.

From another site:
The BlueTec diesel is the most complicated & least understood engine Mercedes-Benz makes. * * The average mechanic hates working on them,*because they are a*guaranteed comeback with a mad customer. * * It’s way easier to make money on other models & Mercedes-Benz treats a BlueTec diesel mechanic like he’s the one who built this mess. * *Where the owner lives & how they drive, makes a big difference in reliability. * * One owner never has a problem, while the guy down the street is bouncing from shop to shop with nothing but huge repair bills to show for his effort. * * How does that happen? * I understood the problem & how to deal with it, but explaining it to a owner was a different matter. * No matter how many times I rewrote this article, I couldn’t fine a concise way of explaining all the nuances of a BlueTec diesel. * *As the years went by, I kept trying to find a better way of explaining this.
This engine & its emission system is a lot like a onion. * *Every time I think I finally understand it, I discover a new level of complexity. * *Anyone that tells you they*understand a BlueTec diesel, hasn’t been around enough of them. * *Somehow, BlueTec owners found my*feeble attempt to explain the OM642 BlueTec*diesel. * *I’ve also *noticed this article has caused quite a stir on various owner’s forums. I feel bad for owners who really don’t know what’s going on. * * They get on a forum looking for answers, & they get blasted by the forum “know-it-all”. * *It’s always the guy that knows just enough to sound like he might be right. * *I have no idea why they’re carrying water for Mercedes. * *These guys question the things I talk about. * *

One of the main reason and it's my fault for being naive thinking service was everywhere. Even if you had a Sprinter that was working well, we all know mechanical things break down. Once I realized there were a lack of Sprinter dealers and an even bigger lack of QUALIFIED diesel mechanic. That forced me not to take a chance of being too far from home and having a breakdown. Even the breakdowns I did have I needed to go 100 miles away get a rental car come home 100 miles return to the dealer another 100 miles then pick up my vehicle and drive 100 miles back home.

I remember when a serpentine belt came off and the dealer said it would be three weeks to get a new belt.

Bottom line it's all about money. If owners were honest and calculated dollars per mile rather than miles per gallon that will give you a true test of the value of a vehicle.
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 AM   #18

All valid points...thanks!

Also looking at 2012-2015 24-26' Chevy Express Van Class C's with one living room slide(like a Coachmen LEPRECHAUN 220QB) . The 6L is a proven powerplant, but yes uses more fuel than than Sprinter.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #19

There are two sites to check out, skinny winner and Sprinter Source. Read. The info here is poor. Sprinters have had some issues with the 2010 era but most have had them fixed. I own a 15 View G. Great coach. The cab is roomy. With a Helwig roll bar, Agile Shocks in the rear. Sumo front and rear, it driver great. You need to use the correct oil. Winnebago does a good job on design and any of the older coaches are good. The TN1 have Transmission issues. Sprinter Source has a tread on them as the new NV3, Mercedes is selling a 2019 that is a new chassis. There are haters out there, don't listen. Read and get educated. There is nothing wrong with a small class C on Chev or Ford. If you like them you will pay more for gas, but service could be less. WGO Sprinters do hold their value, and they were never part of the rental fleet.
KH 2015 VG