Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #1

Older pre-DEF...would you buy one today?

Looking at 2006 Sprinter MH's as we are thinking about downsizing. We went fro a B, to 23' A and now have a 32'A and it's just overkill for the two of us.

I have a DEF aversion which might be unfounded(my 2003 D-Max has been great). But in the $30-40K price range I see a lot of 2005-2007's. I know many of you here owned during those years, and if so what are the drawbacks to buying one now with say under 100K miles on it? are parts readily available still?

Also looking at the Ram and Fusion chassis but they are a little out of our budget.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #2

Our '04 is doing fine. Parts are not an issue.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Our '04 is doing fine. Parts are not an issue.
Thanks...I'm going to look at the '06 today and will take it for a long drive. Having never driven a Sprinter class it should be interesting.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
'06 and earlier have potential transmission problems. Fixes for these thing can set you back $5K or more. Other potential problems are the EGR system.

You might want to look for something 2010+ range. BTW, the latest chassis is dated 2016 and there are essentially no DEF, DPF problems as long as you follow Mercedes recommended service schedules. Depending on which state you live in, the emission system is warrantied for 5-7 years.

DEF engines actually run better, produce more horsepower, and get better fuel economy. Not sure what your fear of DEF is as these systems are well designed and have been in use for years before they came to the US.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I spent 40 years working on diesel engines, and there is no way I would spend my money on a rig with DEF or DPF! Too complex and costly to troubleshoot and repair once problems start to crop up.
I will gladly pay the extra few dollars for fuel and stick to gas!
JMHO.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #6

Up, the pre 2008 Sprinters are all DEF free.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:40 AM   #7

We just had our Sprinter transmission replaced with a remanufactured for about $4,000.
2006 Winnebago View with 82,000 miles.
plmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #8

Well the test drive went well overall. I did not like the ride over large expansion cracks which made a 'bang' every time. Is that fixable with shocks and Sumo springs like on my current rig?

They were asking too much ($40K) for a coach that has sat outside in the weather and had not been maintained very well. I went up on the roof and the fridge vent cover was completely gone & the area got pounded with rain the day before. There was an inch of standing water in the fridge tray inside the access door & water rolled across the floor from under the fridge on the test drive. Front headliner was hanging and the foam on the roof was disintegrating. Several cabinet door latched were broken, so they slapped around the whole time on the drive. P/o had cobbed up some cheesy storage compartment in the overhead bunk....no cushion or filler piece found.

I asked why do dealers take a trade and not touch the thing until after someone makes an offer? He tried to tell me that it went through a "47,000" point inspection, but I said..."guess they never looked at the roof eh?"

For a 5 cylinder it was quiet and responsive, so I will have no issues finding one that is in better shape for a purchase. I appreciate all the responses and info and will narrow my search for a 05-07.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

I assume you are looking at a View or Navion. The only other MH on the '05-'06 Sprinter cab/chassis (that I know of) was the Gulfstream Vista Mini Cruiser.

The transmissions are problematic. My best suggestion is frequent fluid changes and a trans temp gauge and keep and eye on it.

The rear shocks wear out almost before they left the lot new. I bought mine with 18K on it and about 20K I replaced the back shocks with Koni Reds and the airbags that would not hold air, and the difference was night and day. I replaced the 2012 dated Firestone Transforce HT tires in 2017 due to extreme sidewall checking (caused by the crappy tire blacking compound the dealers use, or so the tire people tell me) and I installed Michelin tires and it rode even better. Eventually put Koni Reds on the front and it made a minor improvement.

The Mercedes chassis is quirky and should you invest in one, join the Sprinter Forum and the Yahoo Groups forum for the View-Navion.

Take a magnet with you and check the metal trim piece at the top of the cab to the fiberglass cab over, If it is steel, run from it.

Charles
Old 07-04-2018, 04:47 AM   #10

Good info Charles. As for that trim piece, were certain years steel and others aluminium, or is is pot luck?
Old 07-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #11

Also, I had not found the Gulf Stream version(thanks)....it looks like it has a much better window system which tilt out and have the shades built in? The exterior also looks to be of a different construction and I do like the lines of it.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #12

Generally the 2007 View has an aluminum transition piece (2006 chassis) and the 2006 View (on either a 2005 or 2006 chassis) has the steel transition, but some early '07 Views MAY have the steel piece, you need to check.

Unless you like climbing the ladder into the cab over bunk, you need to be looking for the J model and not the H. I have given up on the cab over, and use it for storage. I sleep on the jackknife couch. For one person, or possibly two, the bunk bed model (fairly rare) is a good choice as it does not have a slide, and thus lighter weight.

Gulfstream Vista Cruiser Mini is not very common, but you do stumble across them once in a while. Gulfstream used the Freightliner chassis and I think they did not order cruise controls on them. You want to look carefully at the options.

RV trader usually has a good number of early Views and Navions (exactly the same with somewhat different interior colors).

Charles
Old 07-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #13

Ok, round 2.

Tomorrow I look at a 2011 coach, but the salesman says there is no DEF tank, so it could very well be a pre 2010 chassis. So does that mean it's a 5 cyl or did they make the 6 cyl version without DEF before 2010?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Looking at 2006 Sprinter MH's as we are thinking about downsizing. We went fro a B, to 23' A and now have a 32'A and it's just overkill for the two of us.

I have a DEF aversion which might be unfounded(my 2003 D-Max has been great). But in the $30-40K price range I see a lot of 2005-2007's. I know many of you here owned during those years, and if so what are the drawbacks to buying one now with say under 100K miles on it? are parts readily available still?

Also looking at the Ram and Fusion chassis but they are a little out of our budget.
RUN don't walk away from the Sprinter. I had a 2007 and spent almost as much on repairs as I did buying the vehicle. I had a custom coach built and could have any chassis I wanted I went with a FOrd V-10 and never spent a dime on service and passed hundreds of dealers on the road. The Sprinter dealers are few and far between. A GOOD Sprinter mechanic is as rare as a bigfoot sighting.

It got to the point with the SPrinter that I couldn't trust driving it more than 100 miles from home for fear of breaking down.
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote