Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Onan diesel generator QD3200 issue

We have a '17 View 24G with the Onan diesel generator QD 3200 with about 150 hours on it, never had any issues until now, the only change that has happened since the last time we ran the generator for longer than 10 - 15 minutes is we changed out the chassis and house batteries. When we run the generator with (what I think is no load) it will run for 3-7 minutes then start to hesitate then shut down with the indoor display reading "generator warning"
Running it with a load (comparable load as to what was used for over 100 hrs with no issues)it runs for a couple of minutes, hesitates then shuts down with the reading "overload" a couple of times there has been no reading on the screen at all.
Since purchasing and having the batteries installed by Interstate batteries we have made the 16 hour trip from TX to FL but did not need to use the generator because we stayed at RV parks. We travel with an antique Clumber Spaniel who can't tolerate the heat, since we don't tow a car, we can't really go anywhere without shore power.
My husband was able to make an appt. with Camping World in Holiday for Jan 8th, they want 180.00 to run a diagnostic test. I am hoping that we can solve the issue before then since if we need parts or any other hoopla it might push us past our departure date.
We would appreciate any thoughts or ideas as to what might be causing the generator issue.

Thanks ...King, Cheryl & Gallegher 2
Kingrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

I would definitely confirm the cable connections on all battery posts. May have got one crossed. And I assume oil level is adequate in gen.
Ourrvtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

first thing i would do is call an onan service center. they have a 2 year comprehensive warranty which extends to a 3 year warranty for major components. there are also independent onan service companies that also probably honor the onan warranty. finally there are mobile generator service companies that have mobile units to service generators in the field. the service generators in construction, emergency stand by generators, and other applications. they may or may not have expertise in onan generators. thjen there is the run of the mill mobile rv technician. again they may or may not have expertise in onan. i'd get on the phone and call a few places to see what options are available.

for what it is worth i received a bunch of free advice from a mobile generator service company.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Cancel your Camping World appointment and save the money. Contact the nearest Cummins-Onan center near where you are staying and have them take a look at it. Since it started after your battery change, it sounds like something didn't get connected or was connected improperly.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

What is your fuel level? Some of the Sprinter Chassis actually have to have almost a half of a tank or they will shut down. I experienced the same issues you described. After CW and Onan replaced fuel pump and filters needlessly we figured out the problem. Lucky for me it was warranted.
Vongreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We've checked the battery cables, toggled the house battery switch, fuel level is almost full. We shut off the fridge, tv, lights and a/c, no change we did get a "Gen CAL" code once after 4minutes of run time then the Ginny shut down next try it ran for 1 minute then read "GEN Warning" and shut down. We will head to Tampa tomorrow morning to see if Onan can help, they were very nice on the phone😀
Thanks for your help
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Please let us know the fix.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We have our genny back

Took the View in on Wednesday, 7:30 a.m. they could not figure out what was wrong but confirmed it was failing just as we claimed Needed to pull generator to check further so we brought the coach back to Palm Harbor, minus the generator, called Onan before they closed said they had not located the problem, I asked how this could be, the service mgr. (Paul)
told me the generator does not have a way to plug? into it to tell you what is wrong, the mechanic has to go through everything piece by piece (my words again)When I called on Thursday they had found a loose wire, said the air filter was dirty and that was complicating the issue. We did have the oil change done when the manual recommended, the filter was blown out instead of replaced because it did not appear to be too dirty. Any way we had them do another oil change replace filter.
Took them a couple of hours this morning to put the generator back in, but all seems to be working AOK. Other than the 2 day delay the Onan service was great.

Thanks for suggesting we go to ONAN everything was covered by warranty other than the oil and filter $34.58. The statement shows warranty work total $1380.00😜 (not billed to us YAY)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:53 AM   #9

Glad you got it sorted out. It can be frustrating at times. Happy Travels
Vongreg is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator, onan