RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Onan Generator Oil Press-Temp Problem

We recently had a problem with our Onan/Cummins QD 3200 diesel generator in our 2017 Winnebago View. I wanted to document the temporary fix in case others find themselves in a similar situation.

The generator ran fine from January until July where we put 126 hours on it during an 11,000 mile journey. Only issue was oil use but I topped it off and changed the oil, fuel filter and air filter.

Over the last few days, when the ambient temperature was over 90 degrees, the generator would shut down (just when we needed the AC!) with a Oil Press-Temp error on the coach start up panel. I added a little oil and it started back up - but died after a few minutes.

Called Cummins - on hold for 30 minutes. Found a Cummins service tech in NC that would look at it so drove there as it was on our way from NJ to MS. The tech thought it may be a clogged oil screen but that was clear. He said any other troubleshooting would require the genset be removed from the coach and they would not be able to do that for another week.

Called Winnebago and they were useless. They basically told me to call Camping World in MS when I arrived and have them look at it.

As I drove down I-85 aggravated over the lack of customer service on a generator that was a $5,000+ upgrade, I determined that it had to be an air flow problem, not an oil pressure problem. It starts and runs when it cooler outside, it runs fine until it heats up, etc.

I pulled into a rest area and started to examine the generator closely and take the air hose that leads from the top of the generator to the air filter compartment. It started and I could see that air was pushed from the top of generator INTO the air filter as pre-heated air. Taking off the air filter cover, I noticed a thick red wire and removed it from the plastic housing. It had a stainless steel 'head' on it - a Temperature sensor!

I let the sensor dangle in the outside air and the generator ran fine. I put it back in the air filter compartment and it shut down. Put a piece of ice on it to cool it down quickly and the generator started again. I watched the generator closely to make sure it was not overheating but all indications pointed to a faulty temperature sensor.

I've run the generator about 10 hours with this temporary fix and all works well. Our generator operation is critical as we travel with a dog and need the AC to run if we're not in the coach. Also our schedule requires that we travel late and stay in rest areas or WalMarts, so we need the AC when we sleep.

I now have the sensor hanging outside the sound compartment when we're not driving and our generator is running. When we travel, I quickly tuck it back into the sound cabinet to protect it from road debris.

It seems some techs now only rely on part replacement and don't get to the true issue and find a quick solution that will get customers back on the road.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #2

Just out of curiosity what are the temps of entering and leaving air? Delta T.
You also mention pre-heated air, meaning the combustion filtered air. Is that the same flow as the cooling circuit?
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Ambient temp during our lunch stop in Wichita Falls, TX is 104. Using a Fluke laser thermometer, exterior of air pipe going into air filter was about 135. Housing of generator was 178. Blacktop was 120 in sun. All readings while generator was running.

Remember this is an air cooled generator with an oil sump similar to a lawn mower engine.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #4

Help, I'm having the same issues with my qd3200 generator

Hello RVThere,

Could you email me at michael.a.cudworth@gm.com . I'm having the same problem you experienced and the Cummins techs just can't fix it.

Mike
2011 Navion 24K
2011navion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011navion View Post
Hello RVThere,

Could you email me at michael.a.cudworth@gm.com . I'm having the same problem you experienced and the Cummins techs just can't fix it.

Mike
2011 Navion 24K
Mike,

Just sent you an email.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #6

Would love to see a picture(s) of where the temp sensor wire is located on the QD3200. I've got the same box. No problems so far, but have only run it, while underway, in ambient temps around 88F. I just figure it's better to be prepared, jic.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #7

Thanks for the information about the temp sensor. We have the same generator in our 18V24D. So far no issues at about 120 hours on the meter. This is info I cut and paste for when/if I have the same issue. Thanks again!
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan