Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2022, 08:01 PM   #1

Onan QD3200 OIL TEMP-PRESS problem

So, our Onan QD3200 has been cutting out all day with a OIL TEMP-PRESS alert. Oil full, replaced the air filter. Tried the temp sensor-outside trick and it runs longer.

BUT (here's what I don't understand), the generator shuts off about 3-5 mins after I shut off the motorhome motor. And it won't restart w/o the motorhome motor running. What could this be? Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Bob

P.S. have a 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24K (Sprinter chassis)
shumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #2

I think the generator starts off the coach batteries. How good are they?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:23 PM   #3

Yes, I'm sure it starts off of the coach batteries, thus my confusion about starting the chassis motor to get the generator to start.

I thought the coach battery was good, just installed last year, but I'll have it checked tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-19-2022, 03:33 PM   #4

I suggested it because the engine alternator may be carrying the start up load while starting the generator, as it charges the coach batteries, under normal designs.
Not sure why withdrawing that level of coach battery charging/boost would make the generator die. Unless there's a dead cell in the coach battery and it's messing up normal operation of the genset somehow. I'm not sure either.
Sorry, can't be more help.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumar View Post
So, our Onan QD3200 has been cutting out all day with a OIL TEMP-PRESS alert. Oil full, replaced the air filter. Tried the temp sensor-outside trick and it runs longer.

BUT (here's what I don't understand), the generator shuts off about 3-5 mins after I shut off the motorhome motor. And it won't restart w/o the motorhome motor running. What could this be? Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Bob

P.S. have a 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24K (Sprinter chassis)
Did the generator ever work without overheating in summer temps? I am having the same issue when it's really hot out as in triple digits, my temp sensor is actually part of the oil pressure switch so the two pieces screw into the crank case (My QD 3200 is a 2011) so moving the temp sensor to outside air isn't an option for me. I'm not the original owner so I don't know if this has always been an issue but I suspect so with all the reports of these air cooled units overheating.
My thoughts are maybe the air flow since the location is pretty restrictive and the mud flap tends to blow back and restrict air flow even more so I made a couple of mods, cut 3 holes for air in the steel above the mud flap and added a 2,200 CFM 7" cooling fan from Summit Racing. Made a foul weather cover for the holes. Have not had a chance to try it out yet but fingers crossed.
Someone else suggested switching to synthetic oil, don't know if that would really help, as far as I know synthetic oil can handle heat better without breaking down but doesn't actually run cooler than Dino.
There is also the issue of the hot air circling back to the intake which is a real possibility the way air currents swirl under a vehicle on the highway, thinking about making a baffle for that.
Last pic is with mud flap removed but you can see how close it would be to the cooling air intake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220715_113304.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	374098   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220715_115942.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	374099  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220715_121019.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	374100   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220716_161341.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	374101  

bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #6

Bad connection on coach battery, switch off on coach battery, failed ( dead ) coach battery or bad converter/charger not charging the coach battery.

When engine is running, the coach and chassis batteries are combined together, supplying power to the generator circuit.

When you shut it off, the combining/ isolation solenoid opens and the generator no longer has power to its controls. Generators depend on coach charging systems to run their electronics. Most don't have 12 volt charging systems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #7

Update

Thanks everyone!

So far, I've moved the temp sensor outside, and its still stopping, so its doesn't appear (?) that its the temp.

I did have the battery checked and its good/great. Thanks for the info on the likely charging system. Somehow that seems(?) to have an effect on whatever is going on.

Today I'm going to replace the fuel filter - fuel is the last easy variable that I can think of.

Given the varying error messages, is there a control board in the generator that can be reset to factory or something?
Old 08-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #8

Until the generator starts with out the engine running, your chasing your tail.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Until the generator starts with out the engine running, your chasing your tail.
This is for sure. I'm about out of tail to chase, haha.

Everything seems to be working that you mentioned in your prior message to keep the coach battery charged.

The last tail on the list is to clean all of the connections. started with the coach battery terminals, trying to figure out where if most effective to follow and clean from there.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
This is for sure. I'm about out of tail to chase, haha.

Everything seems to be working that you mentioned in your prior message to keep the coach battery charged.

The last tail on the list is to clean all of the connections. started with the coach battery terminals, trying to figure out where if most effective to follow and clean from there.
Give the cables at the lug/clamp ends a good tug, to see if they've corroded inside the lugs or clamps. I had a bad cable years ago, literally turn to green powder inside a lug/clamp. The copper stranded wire had slowly oxidized and turned green and it pulled out, by accident, when I was trying to trace a similar problem on my Roadtrek. Couldn't see it by looking, it had to be pulled on to get it to separate.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #11

control panel compartment filled with mud

Oh, and did anyone else notice how the control panel and wiring interconnect compartment (to the right when facing the generator) has a set of cooling holes that on my Jayco Melbourne 24K (Sprinter chassis) directly face the front right tire? inside the compartment the wires are covered in mud and probably road salt. the dozens of connectors in there are probably all suspect too.

Is this common? Seems like anytime this model generator is mounting on the "starboard" side of the coach it would ingest high velocity road debris into this compartment.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Oh, and did anyone else notice how the control panel and wiring interconnect compartment (to the right when facing the generator) has a set of cooling holes that on my Jayco Melbourne 24K (Sprinter chassis) directly face the front right tire? inside the compartment the wires are covered in mud and probably road salt. the dozens of connectors in there are probably all suspect too.

Is this common? Seems like anytime this model generator is mounting on the "starboard" side of the coach it would ingest high velocity road debris into this compartment.
Do you have a mud flap? Mine is set up the same way but there is no mud or debris in that area, see pics in my first post (mud flap is removed for pic)

edit: mine is directly behind the right rear duals, it sounds like yours is up behind the front tire?
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Do you have a mud flap? Mine is set up the same way but there is no mud or debris in that area, see pics in my first post (mud flap is removed for pic)

edit: mine is directly behind the right rear duals, it sounds like yours is up behind the front tire?
Mine is right in front of the dualies, so it is not really protected by the front tire mudflaps, its too far back.

It's quite a bummer, its so tight in there that cleaning everything will be literally painful.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:30 PM   #14

all clean terminals & lugs, still gen won't run w/o chassis motor running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Give the cables at the lug/clamp ends a good tug, to see if they've corroded inside the lugs or clamps. I had a bad cable years ago, literally turn to green powder inside a lug/clamp. The copper stranded wire had slowly oxidized and turned green and it pulled out, by accident, when I was trying to trace a similar problem on my Roadtrek. Couldn't see it by looking, it had to be pulled on to get it to separate.
OK, so after much lug and terminal cleaning - lowered the resistance between battery and generator from .2 ohm to .1 ohm, but unfortunately that made no difference in the "must have chassis engine running" behavior. So, at this point it is the 1-year-old-load-tests-fine house battery, or a supreme mystery. Cummins says they can't look at the generator until Nov, too busy repairing other Cummins motors 😐.
Any other thoughts?

Tags
onan, problem