Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

power inverter question

Hey everyone,
I will be camping for the first time in my 2013 View Profile at an RV park. I will be plugged into shore power for the entire time. My question is, while plugged into shore power do I need to turn on the inverter?

Thanks
Mark
markbo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbo53 View Post
Hey everyone,
I will be camping for the first time in my 2013 View Profile at an RV park. I will be plugged into shore power for the entire time. My question is, while plugged into shore power do I need to turn on the inverter?
Thanks
Mark
markbo53
If yours is like mine...and you do turn it ON while connected to shore power it will not hurt or damage anything... (but you DO NOT need to turn it ON).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #3

No.
An inverter is used to produce 120v power from the batteries , when you are not plugged into shore power.

Do you have any info on the inverter. Brand ? Model ? Users manual ?

The reason I ask is , some RV's have a stand alone inverter, others have a combo unit, inverter/converter/charger. Some inverters have an auto by-pass feature and will shut down as soon as the RV is plugged in, others are manual by-pass. If you don't have a users manual and can get the brand/model info, you can download the manual from the manufacturer.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several different inverters and in the case of inverters multiple meanings of "Turned On"

On mine there is a master switch ON THE INVERTER which must be on
And remote switches that can disable either the converter or the inverter,,,(or the display) and they do not matter.

I leave the inverter enabled..Since the presence of shore power forces standby.. That way if shore is lost.. I only loose internet (Since the park router has no battery back up).
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #5

Mark,
You have two separate components ... Charger/converter and an inverter.

The charger/con-verter, is probably a Progressive Dynamics PD9245 45 Amp model. It is very sophisticated in its charging ability for the coach batteries and provides 12V up to 45Amp charging current to recharge coach batteries while on 110 V power. Much of the electronics and amenities on an RV transparently operate on 12V...lights, bath fan, lights, furnace, water pump. .. TV, entertainment system and are powered by the coach batteries or indirectly through the charger/converter.

It does not charge starter (chassis) battery on shore power. The diesel engine will charge all batteries as you drive. Coach's generator charges all batteries.

The inverter is a separate thing and it sources power from the coach batteries to convert it from 12V DC to 110V AC. It does not have to be on to operate the 110V accessories when on shore or generator. My inverter will handle about 1000W load which is good enough for a small coffee pot, fan, toaster, AC chargers, etc.. You may have to use only one AC device at a time... It will not do the heavy lifting to power the microwave oven or the air conditioner. There are probably three outlets that allow inverter power about the coach. It does NOT have to be on to power the 110V AC outlets when on shore power or generator.

How to use the inverter... Any time you want 110V power for light lifting... Make a pot of coffee, run a mixer, etc., when you don't want to use the generator or not on shore power. Or, if you are running down the road and need to charge cell phone, camera, androids/i-stuff, that need 110 for the wall warts. Quick cuppa and a snack at a rest stop.... Useful when dry camping...

And, there should be a separate control for the inverter near the One Place display on your coach. Simple ON/OFF button & voltage input/watts output display. Operation of the PD unit is transparent and automatic...

I hope this has been helpful.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Mark,
You have two separate components ... Charger/converter and an inverter.
I hope this has been helpful.
Athough Mark may have two separate components, (a charger/converter and an inverter)...not all RVs have separate units.

My Heart Freedom 20 is a combination inverter/converter/charger.

BTW my '75 class C had 3 separate units, (a charger, a converter and an inverter.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Be ware that there may be some 120v circuits that will work ONLY with the inverter on. As you discover those outlets (if you have any) stick a small orange dot (or a small dab of paint) on them to remember that they are powered by battery/inverter. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #8

Mark,

(I have a 2014 View Profile 24G... BTW) Some additional info for you....

Your 2013 is similar to mine although the bits might be in slightly different places depending on version. OTH, Winnebago being Winnebago I's suspect that give a certain model, "View," in this case all the componets are probably mounted within inches of each other across the line. On my 24G the PD9145 is 'starboard/curb side,' on the floor, under the pull out drawers, just forward of the fridge.

Your 2013 View has a Xantrex|Pro XM1000 inverter. Note that you should have several duplex plugs wired to both 110 and the inverter inside. IRRC, the plug in the overhead "electronics" storage cabinet with the connections for antenna, satellite, & HDMI port above the counter near the door; a wall plug near floor level in the 'living room' located on the bathroom wall; and, the plug on the 'starboard' / curb side near the light fixture in the bedroom (intended for CPAC units and such). If like mine, there is also an outdoor plug in the large bin next to the entry door. The Xantrex is mounted to the top of this compartment. The white GFI duplex plug on the front of the unit is inverter powered. Hidden from view on the back of the unit is a duplex plug that is powered by shore power and (maybe) generator. There's no external duplex plug on the RV..... you plug in here and if necessary drop the line through the small hatch in the bottom of the compartment.

Here's a link to your new best friend, the 2013 View Manual. http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma...iewProfile.pdf I've got a hard copy in the camper and e-copies in files on lap top, iPad and my Android Tablet. Just in case!!!!

The Xantrex 1000 spec sheet.... http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...M1000-1800.pdf (NOTE: the control panel is remotely mounted inside the coach in the 'One Place' control center.

The PD-9245 Converter/Charger .... PD9245 45 Amp RV Converter / Charger from Progressive Dynamics

Do read about the 'charging/maintaining' strategy used by the unit....

The remote 'pendant' controller for the PD-9245..... Converter Status Remote Pendant

The pendant is available for about 15 clams from PD website. If you are Geeky and want to control the converter/charger this is the tool. Or, useful to know what it's doing via the 'blinky' light. Plugs into the 9145 with a telco type ribbon connector. Has about 4-5' of wire. Being a Crow and naturally curious....I bought one. I installed mine inside the cabinet with the pull out drawers on the side of the fridge frame.

Last I posted this chart in the "One Place" area next to the control for the genny/fluids and battery level checker. If you are using the inverter a lot, you will want to know when to recharge battery to avoid running them down too far and causing damage. To use, everything off, master coach On... press the button to check the charge levels in the coach and chassis battery. You get a voltage reading. Compare your voltage reading to the voltage on the chart to find % charge. Color coded.... recharge when you reach the yellow "60%" ... Simple. I also use it to understand when to recharge batteries while in storage mode. I printed this chart on photo paper and posted it in the "One Place."
Attached Images

Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #9

Old Crows: I certainly enjoyed and learned a lot from your explanation for the inverter; good job..
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #10

You don't need to turn the inverter while plugged in and shouldn't. Mine is in the right front compartment (13G) and powers the plug by the couch, the plug up in the cabinet above the TV and the one by the bed. I haven't used it as we are always plugged in. Some people plug a crock pot in while traveling and put it in the sink. It would be good to power a laptop or charge your phone while dry camping.
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #11

WOW!!
Thanks for all of the replies, and thanks old crows for the downloads. Very helpful and informative.

Happy rving everyone

Mark
markbo53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power