Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #1

Radio Frequency Interference in 2018 View

I am a ham radio operator, and I installed an Icom ID-5100A VHF/UHF, FM/DSTAR transceiver in my 2018 Winnebago View. When I turn the igniton key on, even without starting, the engine, my S-meter shows a signal input varying from small to full scale. The signal does not break the FM squelch.

In a recent episode of Ham Nation, Gordon West related that lightning and electrical arcing will cause this behavior. LIghtning can be eliminated, and arcing or other source of a random RF signal are the likely cause.

I have recently read that LED lights cause RFI, but the interference happens when all my lights are extinguished and are not controlled by the ignition key.

My antenna is a magnetic mount on the hood, the only place I could find to easily mount it.

Has anyone run aceross this problem? Do you have any suggestions on what the RFI souce might be?

Lee, KV5M
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

Maybe it the electric fuel pump. I have noise in my 5er with everything turned off and shore power disconnected
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
All of the Sprinter electronics are located between your seat (and the passenger seat) and the front bumper. You've got lots of computers, motors, etc. all sitting there waiting to be powered up. Seems to me you would do better putting your antenna on the rear ladder support then right on top of all of the EFI sources.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #4

You may need to look into simple fixes like coiling your antenna line up into a choke. Install ferrites on your power cable to the radio etc
Old 02-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmurrah View Post
I am a ham radio operator, and I installed an Icom ID-5100A VHF/UHF, FM/DSTAR transceiver in my 2018 Winnebago View. When I turn the igniton key on, even without starting, the engine, my S-meter shows a signal input varying from small to full scale. The signal does not break the FM squelch.

My antenna is a magnetic mount on the hood, the only place I could find to easily mount it.

Has anyone run aceross this problem? Do you have any suggestions on what the RFI souce might be?

Lee, KV5M
Lee,
First place I go to for help on this is https://www.k0bg.com/
I have an ICOM 7100 and have both an HF as well as anv/uhf antenna on my roof. I suspect this biggest improvement you will find is moving away from a magnetic mount and then get it away from the hood, ideally the roof.
Kevin N9JKP
Airstream Interstate GT Ext 2016
sheakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The direct approach is to divide and conquer. You already know it's a switched ignition source, so the next step is to isolate the systems in the coach to try and narrow it down.

On the surface it would seem you could pull fuses or shut off breakers to see if you can find the offender but with everything these days containing a processor or switching power supply, you may find multiple sources of interference. So it will be more of an exercise of whack-a-mole eliminating the worst case interferer then finding the next worst one and working it as you go.

Be prepared for the possibility you'll find a source that won't be easy to mitigate. One car I had the digital dashboard was the major offender. There's only about 150 cables that went in and out of there and the noise came from everywhere. So it's not a simple matter to "put ferrites" or "shield" things when they're integrated into the vehicle. But it's still a worthwhile exercise to do, because you just might find something that's easily corrected, accomodated or in the case of an accessory or installed system, replaced with something else.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #7

I used a thru the glass dual band antenna on the plexiglas window in the cab-over part of my Coachmen B+, similar to your View. No issues noted. 73

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio