Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If anyone would like to sell their LP generator I might have a use.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
For travel in warmer climates, many (or most) will run the gen set while on the road much of the day to power the roof AC, because the cab AC generally can't keep up with demand (especially headed south or west). Why would this make a difference? The diesel gen set would pull it's fuel from the same tank the engine does, and fuel used by the gen set replenished every time you fill up. The propane gen set however, will require frequent stops at a propane pump/facility, often generating enough hassle to be considered a pain in the butt for many of us - especially if frequent boon docking is a priority.
The OP is looking for a Sprinter-based RV and you generally do not need auxiliary generator-powered A/C while on the road in these vehicles, or at least I never have once even in triple-digit temps. Also have you ever tried sleeping over a generator all night in one of these units? Once will be enough, DAMHIK.

Unless you plan on doing a lot of boondocking in temperatures that require long runs of A/C (not my idea of fun) then generator use in a Sprinter will mostly consist of running a few hours a day to keep the batteries up if boondocking, or maybe during lunch to keep the vehicle cool, etc., meaning occasional runs of a hour or so. In this mode you will not require frequent LP fills.

Certainty one can envision cases where the runtime of a diesel may be required (although you also have to remember that a Sprinter has a 26-gallon fuel tank and only 3/4 of that is usable to the gennie, meaning that if you don't have a chance to fuel up after a long day on the road you could easily have less available runtime than propane), but for the typical usage patterns you would be very hard pressed to find sufficient benefit to make a 6-8k investment worthwhile. In a large Class A? For sure. In a Sprinter? Not so much.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #17

Es you boondocks a lot, generator almost never used. In 30k miles ours has 12 hours total.
Geoffpruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was doing some reading over at the Forest River forum.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f191/

If you search, you will find a thread talking about the gas and diesel generators on the Sprinter chassis coaches.

The diesel generator will not run the air conditioner in all situations. Generally, it sounds like the diesel generator is too small.

Also, I was talking with the sales rep at Liberty Unity in Winkler, MB. He advised staying away from the diesel generator. He said it is too small.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #19
EV2

This makes absolutely no sense. The generator outputs aprox. 28 amps. The A/C would trip a breaker if drawing anything over 20amps. Strongly suggest you eliminate that salesman as he is severely uninformed or just can't do math.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
EV2, your opinion is duly noted.

In fact, he's the sales and production manager at the Triple E manufacturing plant of Liberty motor homes in Winkler, MB.

His comment to me was based on their actual experience of units sold. Based on their customers' actual experiences, the feedback given to them has been that the 3.2 kw diesel generator is a bit too small and too noisy for what it does. As a result, he said they prefer to not use the diesel generator. He also told me that they will not install the diesel generator with the 15kw air conditioner upgrade.

But, I'll gladly share your opinion of him the next time I see him.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:26 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seems to me this can be reasonably clarified. If I understand what EV2 is saying, the normal view in RV's would be that on electrical circuit e.g. 20 amps at 120VAC would require 2.4 kW. That's just math. Most RV builders use an AC unit that runs on that size circuit so a 3.2 kW generator would be sufficient for the AC as well a few more loads.

If those involved with practical use are saying the generators are too small it could be there's a lot more non AC loading involved than 20 amps or the generator might not be as capable as advertised. It's also possible the AC is something non-standard as far as running on only one 20 amp circuit. We've all seen instances where manufacturers don't design for practical usage.

Whichever the case, there's a limited number of answers to this...the facts will clarify it.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Starting Amps

Unless the Compressor on the AC has a Soft Starter circuit that controls the Inrush starting amps then the Diesel Genny could struggle to meet demand.
If it does it will produce less voltage during this condition and the amperage would increase even higher which would eventually make something fail
Old 05-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
It probably would work fine if just the AC is oulling load. But the charger for the batteries will run as well and several other gremlins (fridge?, TV, ...) And you quickly come to the limit of a 3.2KW generator.
Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2014 View Post
This is a bit off topic Our Sprinter based MH came with the LP generator. I did consider the diesel genset, opted for solar never looked back. Rarely ever run the generator. Instead of spending 5K on the diesel genny, use the 5k for solar, upgrade the batteries & inverter. With this you can run the microwave, an induction hot plate etc. burn the midnight oil and recharge complements of the sun the next day.
I agree on adding solar... As long as your generator isn't required for running your coach AC since a solar / AGM battery / inverter almost assuredly won't have enough power to run your AC: Off Grid Solar Powered RV Air Conditioning - Is it Possible? - Gone With The Wynns

We primarily boondock and RARELY run our AC so our 327W SunPower solar panel and 232Ah dual 6V Sam's Club Energizer GC2 Premium supply 99% of our power. This has worked so well that we only have 25 hours on our Onan QuietDiesel 3200 genset after 5 years.

Still I'm glad we bought a diesel genset instead of an LP for extended boondocking requiring AC at destinations (example: Burning Man). We can simply take a couple of extra 5 gallon "Jerry" cans of diesel fuel to add to our Sprinter's diesel tank. This also reserves our entire LP tank for our coach's Dometic refrigerator/freezer, Wave 6 catalytic heater, and gas range... which have lasted 3+ weeks when we were in Alaska.
BrokerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The OP is looking for a Sprinter-based RV and you generally do not need auxiliary generator-powered A/C while on the road in these vehicles, or at least I never have once even in triple-digit temps. Also have you ever tried sleeping over a generator all night in one of these units? Once will be enough, DAMHIK.

Unless you plan on doing a lot of boondocking in temperatures that require long runs of A/C (not my idea of fun) then generator use in a Sprinter will mostly consist of running a few hours a day to keep the batteries up if boondocking, or maybe during lunch to keep the vehicle cool, etc., meaning occasional runs of a hour or so. In this mode you will not require frequent LP fills.

Certainty one can envision cases where the runtime of a diesel may be required (although you also have to remember that a Sprinter has a 26-gallon fuel tank and only 3/4 of that is usable to the gennie, meaning that if you don't have a chance to fuel up after a long day on the road you could easily have less available runtime than propane), but for the typical usage patterns you would be very hard pressed to find sufficient benefit to make a 6-8k investment worthwhile. In a large Class A? For sure. In a Sprinter? Not so much.

I have approx 11k miles and 70 hours on my diesel gen. Never a problem, and I like the noise under the bed (24J view). It's white noise (almost the same noise level as the propane) and I don't hear any other trucks etc when at rest/truck stops. The gen upgrade was 5k before discounts were applied. For me well worth the price. I have never run out of diesel as it can be found fairly easy, I have come close to running out of LP when traveling in north west Florida, Tennessee and there was no LP to be had. Finally came across a Pilot station but the Propane "guy" was out sick and had to stay till am for the day "guy" to get a fill. In another town in western Ill. I had to find the local LP dealer and make a special trip to top off since none of the gas stations had LP the same is true for around my home in NY.

Perhaps there are areas where LP is easier to get but it takes longer to get the right person to come out and fill the tank.... all in all diesel for me because of ease of getting fuel and economy.

When my propane reg died I still had the gen

remember all gens need to be exercised on a monthly basis to keep them working well, 2hrs / month
Old 10-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbo53 View Post
+1 with ahicks said. I to have a diesel gen on my view and have had zero problems. Also, you may want to consider that propane doesn't burn below 32 degrees. Not good if your boon docking in the winter. I learned that the hard way with my furnace.
Who told you that?
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #27

Yes, propane not burning below 32 degrees is nonsense. Evaporation slows at cold temperatures but not a problem until well below zero, unless you have a bad/contaminated regulator or something. And if you're in conditions that cold... have fun starting your diesel generator
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:36 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
my diesel gen worked fine at 8deg f.... it has a built in preheater on the plug, just like the MB. I'm sure at some point it would be problem with the fuel flow and very low temps but I hope never to have to be in those temps again

Tags
diesel, generator